Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fine line between ethics and rules...

Ron Ankeny

The question is whether the shot was an AD or not. Essentially, it is an "accident" discharge - only because you were not ready for the shot to go off. This goes back to a thread we had no too long ago. I'll say the same thing here that I said in that one:

There's a slight difference between an A/N D (accidental/negligent discharge) and an P/E D (premature/early discharge). If you are coming to aim at a target and one goes off a little prematurely, I would not DQ you. If you trip and one goes off [while you're not on aim], it doesn't matter if it hit target or not, I will DQ you.

As far as the video in this thread, it was a P/E discharge. No DQ

This thread started as a question of ethics.

If the shooter in the vid is in fact the person who posed the question.......

I would consider it a PROOF of ethics ...just by questioning himself.

Jim

+1

I am the shooter in the video. The video is several years old (John) and I ran across it while cleaning up my Web site.

I can see where one might call that an AD...not by our rules...but, an AD in general.
Exactly. In this case, even though the fifth shot was unintentional, I did manage to call it with precision, if you consider somewhere in Wyoming precise. :rolleyes:

I once had a .07 (as low as the timer would record) split in a match as a result of "trigger bounce". The shot hit the target, but it was totally unintentional and it was the last round of the stage. I stood there dumbfounded with the gun in my hand and told the RO what happened. He just said something to the effect of, "Oh hell, if you are finished unload and show clear...". We had a brief discussion and agreed it wasn't an AD or unsafe gunhandling if I was hosing away in warp drive and slapped the trigger with too much enthusiasm. Another example of an AD or ND in general, but probably not by our rules?

As for the targets being too far from the berm...I plead guilty and I stopped placing targets where rounds can potentially hit the bay floor when members of this forum jumped my ass the first time around back in about 2002. :cheers:

I've been trying to find that old video...that may have been posted here. It's something like an FBI training video about using cover. I can't recall if it is black and white, or barely in color.

The point being...rounds deflect at a lesser angle than what we (I) would expect.

I've been trying to find that old video...that may have been posted here. It's something like an FBI training video about using cover. I can't recall if it is black and white, or barely in color.

The point being...rounds deflect at a lesser angle than what we (I) would expect.

I had the distinct impression today was not the first time I had seen it. I'm thinking it was either posted here or linked to Ron's site.

+1 on the angle of deflection. They're almost always less than the angle on incidence.

It's a thread drift, but the original question has been answered.

Most of the rounds will stay low, and impact the backstop. Not all, unless the floor of the range is very smooth, and hard. Look in the videos for where the rounds are impacting the backstop. Can you say that all the rounds are contained?

These Vids were made a long time ago, lets take a lesson on how not to set up your targets, and drop the subject.

The problem with our range goes back to the original design. When it was first built we had a static shooting position with a cover and concrete pad and the targets were placed at various distances. Our club subsequently hauled in material for new bay floors that consists primarily of "river sand" and small unfractured rock. To be honest, if you saw what is behind the berm and where the range is located, you would understand why we (the club) had very little concern in the early years. Still, even if the bay was in the middle of the desert (and it is) good course construction dictates all rounds need to impact the berm. Now if you want to talk about rounds escaping from a bay, let's talk about shooting steel.

There's ADs and there's ADs... If the shot broke before he called it then it's an AD no matter what.

I think I must take exception to this.

The one depicted in the video is most definitely NOT an AD, it is an unaimed (unintentional?) shot in the targets direction: it's a perfectly acceptable (from the rules point of view) shot which is to be penalized with a procedural or not according to the scoring method used.

An AD is a shot which breaks when you're pointing in an unsafe direction, or a shot that occurrs while you're not aiming at targets.

There's ADs and there's ADs... If the shot broke before he called it then it's an AD no matter what.

I think I must take exception to this.

The one depicted in the video is most definitely NOT an AD, it is an unaimed (unintentional?) shot in the targets direction: it's a perfectly acceptable (from the rules point of view) shot which is to be penalized with a procedural or not according to the scoring method used.

An AD is a shot which breaks when you're pointing in an unsafe direction, or a shot that occurrs while you're not aiming at targets.

Perhaps you could read the entire thread and post....

Edited by JThompson

Our club subsequently hauled in material for new bay floors that consists primarily of "river sand" and small unfractured rock. To be honest, if you saw what is behind the berm and where the range is located, you would understand why we (the club) had very little concern in the early years.

Ron,

Most folks call "River Sand" Mud, and I had to use google earth, zoomed out quite a ways to see

that the only thing beyond your range is Jackson Hole, and I had to zoom out quite a bit!!!

TimE