Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith recommendations

Seiko

Hi Everyone,

I've been bitten by the revolver bug yet again. Been away for a few years, so not up on whats going on in the world.

I have 2 older Smiths that I would like to have some work done to. So need to have a recommendation on where to send them off to.

A 25-2 that needs to be cut down (or new brl), trigger-action job, maybe a second lockup mod. Going to be a IDPA ESR gun, and ICORE gun.

A 66 needs the second lockup, trigger-action job, not too much end shake but needs a bit of a tuneup. Going to be a backup IDPA SSR gun, and once in a great while carry gun.

Not wanting a full house $2000 custom job with a 5 year wait or anything.

Just need a reliable guy that does good work with a reasonable turnaround time.

Who out there you guys would have the work done to your own guns?

Thanks alot,

Kyle

I have used Mark Hartshorne of pinnacle-guns.com and Hamilton Bowen of bowenclassicarms.com. Hartshorne specializes in S&W revolvers of all variations for all purposes and it looks like he is accepting work again. Bowen is the man for SA and DA Ruger revolvers and he can also do amazing barrel and frame alterations to S&W revolvers too. There are lots of scam artists out there, so I would NOT send any gun I own to just any old gun plumber who does not have a well known reputation.

Dave Sinko

Not exactly nearby but not too far, either. There is Alan Tanaka over in the L.A. area that specializes in Smith revolvers. He has done a number of action jobs and rebarrelings for me and some others that I know. Here is a link to his information

on the APG site:

http://www.americanpistol.com/guild_member.php?mbrid=66

His turnaround times are relatively reasonable, too.

I'm in Las Vegas.

Only 2 real gun smiths in town that I know of. Ones a 1911 only guy, and the other is someone who "lost" a gun I had in for service a few years ago.

I understand your frustration perfectly. Im in Vegas also and i wouldnt trust any of these so called Gunsmiths we have here. I have heard way too many horror stories from too many people to have much faith. Do you belong to Desert Sportsmans ? If so try getting in touch with some of the people who run the matches out there, im sure there are guys who do good work here, thing is i havent heard of them. lol

I understand your frustration perfectly. Im in Vegas also and i wouldnt trust any of these so called Gunsmiths we have here. I have heard way too many horror stories from too many people to have much faith. Do you belong to Desert Sportsmans ? If so try getting in touch with some of the people who run the matches out there, im sure there are guys who do good work here, thing is i havent heard of them. lol

I used to belong to Desert Sportsman, but since their rules have gotten silly (no shooting before 9am ect.) I didn't renew my membership. I'm a member out at Boulder City now.

Well theres Burt a 1911 only guy, fantastic 1911 builder, but over 8 month wait (probably longer then that now)

Another good general gunsmith is Rance out at Spurlocks in Henderson, but hes more of a this broke fix it, mount a scope, put a ambi safety on a 1911 type of guy, not a custom work thing.

Then theres the other guy that "lost" (look in dictionary under theft) a S&W Registered Magnum of mine.

Theres actually a ICORE match out at boulder this sunday. I'll be there, come on out. Ill send you a PM with my number.

Alan Tanaka is best known for his custom PPC revolver work. His turn around time is great and luckily for me, I live 30 minutes from his shop. I recently had him do some trigger work on a 686+ and fit a 6 shot cylinder (and cut for moonclips) and change the front sight to fiber optic. The work was done in a week. Oh yea, he also changed the barrel on my 627 from the compensated barrel to the "times 8" barrel. I took my 627 to him last week to get trigger work done on it and to have him put an SDM fiber optic front sight in. I figure I'll have it back in the next week or so. I'll be sending him a 1911 and a barrel as soon as I receive it from Bar Sto. I'm a 10 year satisfied customer. Hopefully I'll someday be able to by a PPC revolver built by him. So many guns, so little money and time.

Seiichi

Northern Virginia Gun Works in Springfield Va

They have done trigger work on my Smiths in the past

Great work & good people

Dan

+1 for Sandy and Robert Garrett at NVGW in Springfield, VA 703-644-6504

They are unbelievable, for action work, and accuracy work. If they do it, it will be right.

Martin :cheers: