Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag tech primers

jjanglin

I use Magtech primers to load 45acp and they are the 2nd softest. Federal is still softer. My 625 will ignite magtech primers at 7lbs but not at 5lbs DA pull.

That's not very soft. My 625 lights WLP 100% at 7.5lbs.

Jim, the Magtechs I loaded on the 1050 with the crushed primer like I do with the Feds are NOT as sensitive as the Feds. The Magtechs would not reliably ignite with a 5.5lb trigger set up, but the Feds do everytime......

Hope this helps,

DougC

Seems to me that these NIMROD companies would make their primers the same since most

deal with Military , Using federal LP primers is no probablem , I was just curious about Mag Tech.

cabelas kinda tick`s me off on their prices,right now its to dang cold to be testing stuff

so Ill just wait. <_<:mellow::unsure::closedeyes::angry2:

Jim/PA

Sailors

• 1 month later...
:goof:

I just paid 39,99 (no tax) for a thousand federal large pistol primers at cabelas only ones I could find

in Omaha.

Has anyone tried Mag Tech large pistol primers in the 45 revolvers?

Jim

Sailors :blink:

I have not tried the LP in revolvers. I have tried small pistol and they seem fairly hard. My 610 will fire them but they have to be seated firmly and my trigger is just under 7#.

Last weekend at a show here in Georgia I found 2000 Fed LP's for $22 per thousand and grabbed them but that was all that dealer had. Another dealer had some but at $27 per thousand. I can't find any Fed SP's.

A while back when primers started going up I found someone who had some for $70 per sleeve and so I bought 1K or SP & LP. I loaded them up in .38 spl/9mm/40/45 acp/.44 Mag. Shot the ammo:

9mm - Glock/Browning HP/tanfoglio

.38 spl - S&W 627 8 shot

.40 S&W - Glock/STI Eagle & Edge/Tanfoglio

.45 ACP - S&W 625 (x2)/STI Spartan & Eagle/Glock/AR Carbine

.44 MAG - S&W 629

I had no problems with any of the primers and I ended up getting 10K of each and have been shooting them.

Neal in AZ

I've tried to pick up Federal Small Pistol primers anywhere I could find them, but I keep coming across the Magtech Small Pistol and Large Pistol primers for $18.99/1K at Sportmans Wharehouse every once and a while and when those $10 off coupons (for over $50 purchase) come up, it's really hard to pass up.

I've not tried the Magtech Large Pistol primers yet, but I can say with my guns that have a trigger job or are using lightened springs, the Magtech Small Pistol primers sometimes do not ignite, but it's very sporadic.