Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which size mag tube?

burntcrispy

I've been searching the files but can't find out the answer to my question:

What size mag tube do most people use with a Benelli with 21 inch barrel? I've seen both mention of +5 and +6 but can't figure out which one most people actually use.

Thx.

I've read that the +6 are easier to load. Didn't know if people used them because of this or if this made them more reliable. Are there any other advantages of getting a +6 over the +5?

Thanks for the info.

Edited by burntcrispy

If you are in a match that does not allow more that 9 rounds total in the gun, in the heat of a stage you may easily lose count and fully load the 9 round tube, giving you 10 in the gun and a penalty (if the RO is on top of things).

On the Benelli with the "ghost load" you can run a +5 and have 8+1+0 right? I'm looking to get a 21" and +5 but want to have 9 shells in gun without one chmabered for such starts.

Not exactly sure how the "ghost load" works, but in this case the +6 is not needed, yes?

Edited by oregonshooter

On the Benelli with the "ghost load" you can run a +5 and have 8+1+0 right? I'm looking to get a 21" and +5 but want to have 9 shells in gun without one chmabered for such starts.

Not exactly sure how the "ghost load" works, but in this case the +6 is not needed, yes?

Yes the +5 tube will give you 8+1+0 or 8+1+1 if you want or need. Load the tube up, stuff one under the bolt and close the bolt. Can 'ghost load' with the bolt locked back.

On tube length, know that some matches use the old SOF rules so you might be limited to how far the tube can go past the muzzle.

Also, USPSA states that Tactical and Limited is 8+1 total. Load 8+1+1 and you're in Open. However, I do recognize it makes things much easier (8+1+0) on LAMR for Benelli M1's with an 8 round tube.

Rich

On tube length, know that some matches use the old SOF rules so you might be limited to how far the tube can go past the muzzle.

Also, USPSA states that Tactical and Limited is 8+1 total. Load 8+1+1 and you're in Open. However, I do recognize it makes things much easier (8+1+0) on LAMR for Benelli M1's with an 8 round tube.

Rich

LAMR? What does this mean? Thx.

Make sure your benelli is an older one, if not it will not let you Ghost Load! You can fix/weld the bolt carrier to accept the Ghost load if you know what you are doing. The older M-1s could do this with little or NO mods.

I run the +6 extension and it does run the tube about 7/8 of an inch past the barrel but with a Briley extended choke it is almost even. I like the +6 with a plug (Plastic) because loading is easier...this lets me have options if needed.

Scott Hawkins

Make sure your benelli is an older one, if not it will not let you Ghost Load! You can fix/weld the bolt carrier to accept the Ghost load if you know what you are doing. The older M-1s could do this with little or NO mods.

I run the +6 extension and it does run the tube about 7/8 of an inch past the barrel but with a Briley extended choke it is almost even. I like the +6 with a plug (Plastic) because loading is easier...this lets me have options if needed.

Scott Hawkins

Also make sure your Benelli does NOT have the pistol grip stock because adding any magazine extension will constitute a violation of federal law, could get you presecuted, loss of guns & gun ownership rights, trip to club fed, etc. Only exceptions are to search out one of the "pre-ban" / pre-1989 guns or add enought US-made parts to make the benelli a "US made" gun.

How does grinding this piece allow you to perform the "ghost load"? If I remember correctly it is a 45 degree angle on the back part of the notch.

Can anyone tell me why this rear notch prohibits the shotgun from accepting the ghost load. It seems strange to me that by putting a 45 degree bevel on the rear notch OR by completely filling in the notch with weld or epoxy that you could perform the ghost load.

Thanks for the technical info.

How does grinding this piece allow you to perform the "ghost load"? If I remember correctly it is a 45 degree angle on the back part of the notch.

Thanks for the technical info.

As the bolt begins its forward travel it causes the shell lifter to rise during its normal feeding cycle & so for "ghostloading" of the gun as the bolt begins to move forward with this modification you can push the shell lifter back down again allowing for the "ghost load".

N

Did you do the modification yourself? If so, what did you use? (ie Dremel, file, etc) Did you measure the angle by trial and error (ie trying ghost load, modifying slide, trying again, etc) or did you use another method?

Thx.

Edited by burntcrispy

Did you do the modification yourself? If so, what did you use? (ie Dremel, file, etc) Did you measure the angle by trial and error (ie trying ghost load, modifying slide, trying again, etc) or did you use another method?

Thx.

I used a dremmel tool & a grinding tip, its not difficult to simply guess the angle by trial and error & I managed to get it right first try & have done a couple of others since doing my own without any problem, use a craytex polishing tip to smooth it nicely once you know it works.