Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas Pumps

outerlimits

can't believe in this day & age that the pumps around here shut off when they hit some max amount. paying $3.29 a gallon, with a 35.7 gal tank, and i can never fill the da$m tank!!

I don't own a vehicle with a small gas tank and feel the same way. Gassing up on a stretch of I-10 between San Antonio and Fort Stockton (many miles of mesquite and sand between very few gas stations) I went into the station to complain. They advised that it is a dollar limit placed by the credit card companies. Recently noticed that using my Discover card I can now put $75 into the tank instead of the old $50 limit.

Bill

Its ridiculous and I wont go to stations that have the limit. They say its the card company but thats BS. It has to do with the stations liability they want to assume. I just filled my truck up and it was 90.00, using Mastercard. The 50.00 limit is ludicrous.

Yep, what Chuck said. The store sets the limit. I went into my local station and told them how much I spend per month for fuel and that while it might be a small amount compared to their total per month, there were several other stations that would like my business. They had the limit raised that afternoon.

It's a limit set at the pump. It's there for multiple reasons. The primary reason is to avoid chargebacks for fraudulent charges. The secondary reason, is if they have full service, they don't want double swiping to be more damaging than it is (where the pump jockey will swipe the card again when closing out the first transaction and give free gas to the next person at the pump.. usually themselves or a buddy).

Very often a bad level means either you have a lot of fraud going on in the area, or the guys with access to set the limits never show up.

Around here, it's usually the latter, and most stations jacked their limit to $100 so they don't have to come in.

Well havent had the problem recently but when I was a traveling Bass fisher I did,, Pull in with a truck and bassboat. Fill the truck set nozzel down pull forward gas up boat. I figured out pretty quickly which stations had the limit. Then I started using two pumps one in truck one in boat. I dont know why stores feel the need to lie to there customers though. Most likely it isnt the clerk. Management lies to them they pass the lie on to you. Another lie I get a kick out of is when I tell the clerk you cant have my phone number and they tell me ; "It's only for the receipt" Thats a good one too.

can't believe in this day & age that the pumps around here shut off when they hit some max amount. paying $3.29 a gallon, with a 35.7 gal tank, and i can never fill the da$m tank!!

Call your banks and bitch, it's a pre-set determined by the CC companies.

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

Its ridiculous and I wont go to stations that have the limit. They say its the card company but thats BS. It has to do with the stations liability they want to assume. I just filled my truck up and it was 90.00, using Mastercard. The 50.00 limit is ludicrous.

No, sorry Chuck, it's the credit card companies and the processors . I'll sell you as much as you like, the CC companies and the clearing house set the limit at the pump. Come inside and we'll "open'er up fer ya".

One last time for everyone, we, the local operators, have NO (zero, none) control over the credit card systems.

We (my family) own and operate a Sunoco gas station/mini mart in Ne Pa. Our CC's go through CitiBank. Most cards will auto shut-off at $75. Fleet cards will go to $250.

WE HAVE NO, ZERO, ZIP, NADA control over the preset. I'm not lying. Come up to my station, we'll call the processor, you get them to raise the limit.

If you can't, I get to kick you in the crotch.

George,

Not to call BS there, but I have seen the local places have their computer systems reset with a higher limit. Maybe it's the system you use?? I don't know, but I do know that in MY area it is the business that sets the limit. YMMV