Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pull Ups

Putty

Not to totally monopolize this thread, or anything

JFD wrote:

I only started doing pullups because my drill sergeant wouldn't let us into the mess hall until we pounded them out. It was motivational.

We had to do them before we could even check our mail. I think we either had to do say like 5 push ups or one pull up for every piece of mail we got too.

When I was cadre we made our basics do pull ups before they entered the chow line too.

Here's what the PFT standards are:

ZooPFT.jpg

I'd always max out the pull ups. One time the grader lost count and he was like "Ummn... yeah, you're done." Once I got off the bar and started walking to the next event my buddy goes "You did 27!"

It's one of those things, I think, you have to practice at every day to get good at. There woud be a few of us upperclassmen who would help the freshman out with their pullups before Taps each night. I think that's how I became so good at them.

Just like dry firing, or cross fit, you have to make the time and do it every day. Make it a routine.

(slight thread drift on)

600 yard run?! Ha! More like a sprint! Especially at 7,000 feet above sea level!

They always had plenty of puke trash cans at the finish line.

(drift off)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That isn't motivating.....

is motivating.... at least, for pullups and stuff... :lol:

There's a lot more of those guys out there, too... Some really cool stuff they can do...

ETA... but, yeah, those Army dudes were totally doing wuss pullups... :D

Edited by XRe

I hope you all are doing true dead hang pull-ups instead of Army pull ups.

Nasty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgygNLsxxyc

Motivating:

Not everyone in the Army is a douche...

Why don't you pick a better example from the Army? OCS...really? That's the regular Army there brother. The big Army is filled with guys who aren't great examples of anything these days. While your at it, why don't you tell that Marine to put his chest to the bar and stop reaching for every pullup.

Don't assume because you see a gay "hooah" video posted by some dweeby OCS cherry that the whole Army is like that.

RLTW!

--Lanzo

And if you want to start pointing fingers there Dyno....skip to 3:20

and look at the joke they call situps. The only guy doing them halfway right is 62...and look at the "marine" he's connected with!? Are you serious? You can't tell me that guy is physically fit.

How about putting your hands behind your head? Raising all the way up....they're basically doing crunches.

If you want to pick out the mediocre of the Army and talk smack...i'll pick the mediocre of the corps, our little husky friend there, and talk it right back.

RLTW!!!!

--Lanzo

• 2 months later...

I'm making progress on pull ups. I've been doing the old Arnold Assisted 50 and have worked my way up to the 46 pound plate for 50 plus done in at least 5 sets of ten. Lately I've been doing 15 reps on my last 4 reps. I guess I need to get warmed up on the first set as I do only 10 reps on it. When I get a little more better, 15 plus reps, I'm going down to the 40 pound plate and start again. I have a thing for these and look forward to my back and biceps days.

Compared to CrossFit, P90X is quite tame and much less functional.

I have testimonials from a few people I'm training now who came from P90X if you're interested.

I think it depends on your fitness level <_< I'm in week #12 and have had great results with it. I've lifted weights for a long, long time and this workout is really tough if you do it like they advise.

I think you could read Jake's point another way... If you think P90X is effective, you should try CrossFit... ;)

I might after this if over. I was going to edit my post and add this:

I've been a gym rat for most of my adult life. I worked in a gym while in college and because of my profession (LEO) I have weight trained and did cardio/running for the last 17 years. I'm 40 and was peaked out with traditional weights and cardio. I was 5'9" and 197 twelve weeks ago. I'm down to 184 and I'm actually bigger everwhere but my waist.

P90X will make you want to puke during every workout except Yoga, if you really put effort into it. If you just go through the motions with 1/2 effort, it probably won't do much for you. I haven't done Cross fit, but I have friends who have and I definately got better results from P90X.

I seem to recall they do quite a bit of running with crossfit, right? That is something I avoid as much as possible due to a knee problem (acl and microfracture).

P90X will make you want to puke during every workout except Yoga, if you really put effort into it. If you just go through the motions with 1/2 effort, it probably won't do much for you. I haven't done Cross fit, but I have friends who have and I definately got better results from P90X.

If you're eating like crap, or if you only go after CrossFit @ 1/2 effort, you won't see full results there, either. That probably holds true to just about anything, I'd imagine ;)

I seem to recall they do quite a bit of running with crossfit, right? That is something I avoid as much as possible due to a knee problem (acl and microfracture).

I wouldn't say "quite a bit", and what running they prescribe is almost always short distances (lengths of 800m or less - usually 400m, up to 5 repetitions thereof). Its quite possible to sub something less impactful for the runs, too - like rowing, for example. There's also a lot of evidence that switching your running technique to POSE can reduce or eliminate damage in the ankles, knees, and hips from running (for what its worth).

Looking back over the last two weeks, none of the crossfit.com workouts had any running in them, in fact. Very very occasionally, you'll see a 5K. I think I've seen a 10K once or twice in two years. You could obviously sub for those...

I'm not saying it's not hard. It's always hard to push yourself as hard as you can. I've done P90X myself and have had clients who swore by it come in and be seriously humbled - myself much included. I have done P90X, have you done CrossFit?

I'm saying do a Fran or Linda or Murph (obviously with correct technique and coaching) and compare afterwards.

I'm not saying it's not hard. It's always hard to push yourself as hard as you can. I've done P90X myself and have had clients who swore by it come in and be seriously humbled - myself much included. I have done P90X, have you done CrossFit?

I'm saying do a Fran or Linda or Murph (obviously with correct technique and coaching) and compare afterwards.

Nope I have not tried it. I may in the future though. We'll see :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

just to add, i have been doing the P90X system for 2 weeks now. EVERY day something else is sore :)

no alcohol, no carbs, and nothing carbinated for 90 days. im DYING for some pizza and a thick dark nasty beer :(

its no joke. it will whoop ya.

i didnt think i was out of shape (6 foot, 198) but wow. i lost 6 lbs my first week!