Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

As I was leaving work this evening, a co-worker said to me, "Jane I don't even want to think about what would have happened today if you weren't here!" I smiled, nodded my head, and said thank you. Two seconds later in the back of my mind I heard my inner voice scream, "MOON!" and then I knew exactly what to do. I began dishing out praise for the good job our team did today. That key word "moon" is really helping me handle things with a little more grace. I'm so thankful that I'm finally getting a grip on how to handle things when I shine. B)

I think everyone has to come up with their own strategy for handling things when things go wrong....AND when things go really right. BOTH circumstances need strategy. I think I'm getting close to something that works well for me. ;)

Dry fire continues to go well. I had a pretty good session last night. I might post some video soon to show how things are coming along.

My 38 super comp is still in Arizona. I probably won't get it back until March 1st. This is a good time to get the 40 cal open gun fixed up. I NEED to change the mag release spring...it's too tight for me. I also need to do some load testing....it's not shooting as flat as I would like. It's not bad and perhaps it is really good for what it is....it's just not my 38 super comp built by master craftsman Matt Mclearn (insert sigh)

I'm off to journal positive thoughts. Tomorrow is a DAY OFF!! That will be my first entry!!

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just came up from the basement dry fire range. I'm bored. :yawn: I've been working on some basic stuff with my new holster set up. Draws, reloads, etc....I'm bored. This week I'm going to set up some classifiers/stages in the basement! It's time to have a little fun for Pete's sake!

My brother is coming down this week and we are going to play around with 3 guns. He's got a new shot gun he wants me to try out. My brother has been on a mission since our deer hunting trip to get me set up with 3 guns so we can go play together this summer.

I'm making some progress inside my head. I'm pleased with that part of my training. I've almost got the lock unlocked. ;)

I've continued with the positive thoughts journal. I have to say...it is becoming one of my favorite things to do at the end of the day.

I thought I would be a little more jealous of my friends in Florida. After all I was hocking my furniture to come up with entry fees back in October. Yet I find myself content to be where I'm at. I'm not ready. I feel an ease about where I'm at and what I'm doing. Perhaps I'm on the right path afterall. :)

Good Cop Bad Cop

As many of you know, I got stopped by a State Trooper the other night and was awarded a speeding ticket. The humor of the situation occurred right before the stop. :rolleyes:

I was driving home from the hospital fatigued from a difficult assignment and a 12 hour shift. Despite this I kept a smile on my face the whole day. I even massaged a few of my co-workers backs before I left. As I was walking to the parking lot I said to myself, "I can't believe how positive I am feeling right now." It was like…Who am I?? The weather people were predicting a snow storm with ice to start around the time I left to travel home. However, it wasn't snowing. I was thinking how thankful I was it wasn't snowing. I was also thinking of things to journal in my positive thoughts journal. I was having a tough time coming up with negative thoughts from the day. So there I was thinking all positive thoughts, listening to music, when BAM! my State Trooper friend snapped me out of my positive thought trance and gave me something to think about on the way home….$175 and 4 points. All the way home I'm not feeling so positive as I was thinking of how to reverse my negative feelings. My futile attempts were certainly not heart felt. <_< So I arrived home upset. :angry2: My husband's reaction of a heavy sigh and a disapproving look related to the financial consequence of my deviant behavior was all it took to set me off. An angry blow up directed at my innocent husband was the most costly consequence of the evening.

Later, in an effort to ventilate some feelings I posted on the forum. Instead of accepting my behavior and moving on I was looking for ways out. I went to work the next day and told my story to all who would listen. Everyone loved the part about the tampons and Advil spilling out of the glove compartment. :surprise: It wasn't until the drive home yesterday that I figured out the positive. I've been motivated to use my cruise control regularly. This is going to help my gas mileage. I unconsciously pump the *thumb rest [generic]*. My Mom did this and it drove me CRAZY! Now I find myself doing it. I don't know why?? In fact I’m sure my State Trooper friend simply shot the radar as I was pumping the *thumb rest [generic]* down! :lol:

Taking 24 hours to reverse my negative feelings about this incident was too long. I certainly have had moments when things were going REALLY WELL at a match and then disaster strikes. Then I have allowed that disaster to plague me for several stages before I got it together again. Being able to turn negative into positive and not allowing myself to be consumed by negative energy is a character trait I'm developing. It IS a mental toughness exercise that I'm working on diligently.

Character does matter in life and in shooting. I'm grateful I have shooting in my life to help develop my character. ;)

Edited by Calamity Jane

Character does matter in life and in shooting. I'm grateful I have shooting in my life to help develop my character. ;)

I know whereof you speak -- the shooting certainly does lead to introspection and growth, even if there are occasional spped bumps along the way. B)

Nik, you are TOO funny! :lol:

3 X's the Gun

My brother came down today and we shot the AR-15 with a .22 conversion kit. I really like group shooting with a rifle. It's not as thrilling as what I do with an open pistol but there is something there that connects with me. The biggest problem I have with long guns like the shot gun and the AR is I don't have the muscle strength developed to have a good hold.

Shooting the 12 gauge shot gun was a character building experience. I have a love / hate relationship with shot guns. I love what they can do...but I hate what they do to me. Shooting a shot gun is really about learning how to take a punch. AND YES I have the gun firmly against my shoulder! The punch I'm referring to is more about the loud boom, the brain concussion, and the PUSH into my shoulder. There's nothing "refined" about shooting a 12 guage. It is what it is. It teaches me how to get aggressive and assertive and how to stand up to a big loud bully of a gun. I really should put into my training plan shooting shot guns once a week. I'm pretty sure it would greatly improve my pistol shooting! I feel like shooting a shot gun could assist in training my state of mind. ;)

I'm beginning to understand the allure of multi-gun/ 3 gun matches. Each one of those guns have an important role. It is my desrie to be competent with all three. My brother told me today I needed to be more than a "one trick pony". He's right. So I will continue my quest for shooting excellence with my open pistol....but I will have a 3 gun match on the side :)

The key to shooting a shotgun without the recoil punishing you is to have the gun fit to you. Over the last 30 + years competing in shotgun sports, I have shot with juniors and ladies that were in some cases under 4 feet tall and 75 lbs soaking wet. They all shot gas operated semiauto shotguns and did not have any problem with recoil. If you have you gun professionally fit not only will the recoil improve but the gun will be much eaiser for you to mount and shoot. The same is true for rifles as well.

The key to shooting a shotgun without the recoil punishing you is to have the gun fit to you. Over the last 30 + years competing in shotgun sports, I have shot with juniors and ladies that were in some cases under 4 feet tall and 75 lbs soaking wet. They all shot gas operated semiauto shotguns and did not have any problem with recoil. If you have you gun professionally fit not only will the recoil improve but the gun will be much eaiser for you to mount and shoot. The same is true for rifles as well.

I believe you are absolutely RIGHT about this!!! The gun needs to fit. I couldn't help but think of the military soliders today. I was wondering if they got their weapons to fit them or if they were expected to just make it work. When the gun fits....you can shoot much bette and faster. If I'm in the military I want my gun to fit ;) Anybody know the answer to that....does the military take the time to fit the rifle to the soilder??

In the Military one size fits all. However, they are now using and issueing lots of the Carbine (M16A4?) that have a collapsible stock. But if you are state side you probably won't get one unless your job description calls for you to be issued one. May even be somewhat true elsewhere. Those that have been there probably would know. I don't as I've been retired for 10 years.

I spent some of my military time as a light weapons instructor. Part of the time was with the M14 and part with the M16A1 then on to the M16A2. The A2 has a longer buttstock than the A1. Some short soldiers did have some problems getting the rifle shouldered correctly, as did some of the tall ones.

A stock that fits your body type and style of shooting helps much. If you are going to take up shotgun you really should try out different guns. Some stocks run a little on the long side. I'm 5'8" and didn't like the length of the stock on a Mossburg 500. Short arms.

I'm sure that if you ask around you'll find that there are lots of different shotguns available to at least put up to your shoulder or with permission from the Match Director, maybe even shoot them after a match is over. Ask the various members to bring their favorite shotgun to the next match.

If you are recoil sensitive then the gas operated shotguns are the best way to go. Keep in mind though that some stock do not lend themselves to be shortened because they are not wood. Some of the makers do make some inserts for their stocks that will make the length of pull shorter or longer. Usually not much in the way of shorter. You may have to have a custom stock made to fit you best.

Good luck whichever way you go. It's been interesting reading your postings. Thanks.

In the Military one size fits all.

I was afraid of this. I understand why that is the way it is but I also understand the consequences. :(

My brother has started a WWII collection of firearms. He had a....don't ask me what it is.....but it was a bolt action rifle from WWII that could hold 5-7 rounds (can't remember exactly). I liked the weight of it and how it shot. HOWEVER, my response was "What kind of weapon is this?!! It only holds X amount of rounds! And you have to run the bolt manually between each round! Are you kidding me?! I wouldn't want to defend my life with this!" The other thing about that rifle was it was made for right handers. I would be curious to know how many left handed soilders vs right handed soilders died in WWII. I'm just full of questions aren't I.

When you are the mother of 2 teenage sons....you ask questions.....for you never know when it may be their turn to serve. ;)

The Beretta shotgun line has numerous models designated RL for reduced length. I am sure some other companies are doing the same thing. Generally speaking women are better off with a shotgun that has a parallel comb ( the comb being straight from the front to the back with no drop at the heel). This is do to the way you are built and the way you mount the gun. If you decide that you want to have a gun fit let me know, I know most of the top gunfitters in the country and will help you find one that is close or will be at a shoot close to you.

The Beretta shotgun line has numerous models designated RL for reduced length. I am sure some other companies are doing the same thing. Generally speaking women are better off with a shotgun that has a parallel comb ( the comb being straight from the front to the back with no drop at the heel). This is do to the way you are built and the way you mount the gun. If you decide that you want to have a gun fit let me know, I know most of the top gunfitters in the country and will help you find one that is close or will be at a shoot close to you.

I would love to have a gas operated semi auto shot gun that fits! There is only one problem with that....in fact this problem gets in the way of many of my plans....I don't have the $$$! :angry: However, I'm very curious to who these gunfitters are? Shoot me a PM and tell me who can fix me up in Indiana or the Midwest. Until I can come up with the dough...I'll count on my brother to fix me up as best we can cause the 3 gun thing is just a SIDE MATCH! I'm an open gun pistol shooter training to win:D

Thanks for all the good info!

Edited by Calamity Jane

Jane,

Ask Deb Cheek who she had cut her stock down on her 1100. That's going to be your best intel locally. You might also ask Rhino. I think he has a youth model stock on his 1100, which has that shorter LOP you're looking for.

DP

Jane,

Ask Deb Cheek who she had cut her stock down on her 1100. That's going to be your best intel locally. You might also ask Rhino. I think he has a youth model stock on his 1100, which has that shorter LOP you're looking for.

DP

I think I have one of those youth stocks laying around Jane

Thanks guys! My bro's shot gun is a Remington 1100 and it probably would fit me better with a youth stock...however, he wants to shoot it too....and he's like 6'3"....so I'm not sure he would be up for the change.

When I'm ready to buy my own shotgun...it will fit ;) Until then...it's mooch off the brother and friends like Rhino and Larry who have the tools to introduce me to the game. :D

I just read this in a book and thought it pretty profound...

"What we think or what we know or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do."

John Ruskin

"What we think or what we know or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do."

John Ruskin

I've reached a point in my journey where I need to travel alone for awhile. There's nothing more to say. There is only what I will do. I'll be logging off my diary until I get back from ladies camp the first weekend in April. I've got 6 weeks to practice doing. Let's see what I can accomplish in 6 weeks. As Arnie said in Terminator, "I'll be back." :)

• 4 weeks later...

The first match of my season has been completed. I can't seem to resist posting something about it. I actually DID something so therefore I'm giving myself permission to talk. To see the stages I'm talking about, click on the link to wvpps and click on "Match Stages"

http://www.wvpps.com/

Riley Match

March 16, 2008

"I'll never beat anyone until I learn how to beat myself"

Calamity Jane

I learned a lot about my competitive side at this match which I will use to help me continue to develop. I am my toughest competitor and I must learn how to overcome myself.

My dry fire practice skills were evident at the match. I was pleased with my draws and transitions. If this were a DRY FIRE MATCH I would have been HOA for sure :D It was the live fire that disappointed me somewhat. I don't have enough live fire rounds down range to have the confidence and "throttle" (ability to judge speed) that I need. Over the past 6 weeks (42 days) I only had 3 live fire sessions (7%) compared to 24 dry fire sessions (57%)…nuff said. I think when I bump up the live fire sessions combined with the dry fire skills it's going to give me what I'm looking for.

Speed Demon (Speed shoot 4 steel, 2 paper)

I shot my first stage choosing to trust all my dry fire skills. I burned it down in 3 seconds plus some change. I was done shooting before the last steel fell which kind of messed me up mentally. Because the steel didn't fall as fast as I was shooting…my mind thought I might have missed…so the last paper target I rushed a little so I could go back and clean up the steel. Well I got 2 delta on the last paper target (rushing) and went back to the steel only to see the last piece fall.

Lesson learned: It's good to let go and trust, however, be sure to see what you need to see.

Classifier Melody Line

I probably learned the most from this stage. I practiced it during dry fire so I had a good feel of what I needed to do. I've been practicing my turn around draws a lot. Perhaps practicing made me a little "loose" in the head because it was clear I didn't have the focus that was needed…interesting. Anyway, I did not nail my turn around draw…it came on target a little to the left…and by golly…in the SPLIT seconds that followed I allowed disappointment with that draw cause me to rush through the stage with a little anger and disgust lingering in the back of my mind. It was almost like, "Well I blew the draw so I guess the rest of it doesn't matter" I can't believe my head did that!!! Actually I DO know why that happened. In dry fire after each draw I evaluate what happens. I do this so I can correct what needs correcting with the next draw. I've trained that into my brain. My subconscious only did what I've been training it to do. I've been training it to judge my draws!!!! :angry2:

Lessons Learned: QUIET MIND, DON'T JUDGE, all that exsit is what you see without any judgements, words or thoughts. A bad stage allows me to practice my disappointment strategy. ;)

Stop at the Star (texas star stage)

My confidence wavered on this stage. Here is where the lack of live fire starting coming into play. The stage was basically wide open targets with a star at the end. I had a questionable squib and the RO stopped me so I got a re-shoot. Because I didn't like my hits the first time (before the questionable squib) I decided to change my game plan. The first game plan involved standing and hosing all the targets including the star…the second plan involved taking 2 positions with a mag change. I was capable of the first plan which would have been faster…but after the squib and I saw I didn't have the control that I wanted with the gun…I chickened out. I absolutely backed down and chickened out…interesting.

Lessons Learned: I will get more confident and not back down with more live fire rounds down range. For me…when I feel the fear like that…I need to lean on arrogance…."This game is played with fear and arrogance"

Nothing Better to Do (steel activator stage)

This stage had several activators (max trap, drop turner, swingers) and lots of steel. It wasn't horrible but I chose to leave the drop turner which I think was a mistake and I chose to put 4 shots on the fast swinger because I wasn't confident…this cost me some time. Again my dry fire paid off on this stage…but I was lacking the live fire confidence that I needed to really burn this one down.

Lessons learned: Learn to do the math! Instead of just listening to everyone I need to be able to figure out the math myself. Is the drop turner worth it?? I need to be able to answer that question myself.

Straight Forward ( long range wide open targets)

I had a questionable round which gave me a re-shoot because the RO stopped me. I had good target acquisition and saw my hits but the stage just left me with a feeling of being mediocre.

Lessons learned: Again, need more live fire to get a feeling of what I need to see at long range. I might have pulled back a little too much on this one.

Match scores are not up on this one and they really don't matter. The shooter I am at this moment is not the shooter I'm going to be in September. I cling to that and keep going. The next few weeks will be an extreme mental test for me…ladies camp and A6. I'm looking forward to what I'm going to do….cause I really don't know what is going to happen. I fascinate myself.

Jake posted a piece about visualization recently. I'm thinking about re-doing this match in my head. Now that I've already done it…I think it will be easier to visualize perfectly. Perhaps this will undo what I actually did in my subconscious and move me ahead. In theory I think this may be a good plan. :cheers:

Thinking about shooting steel this weekend. I'm curious to see what my head will do with that. :unsure:

"I'll never beat anyone until I learn how to beat myself"

Calamity Jane

Are you sure this shouldn't be "I'll never beat anyone until I learn how to stop beating myself up" ??? :lol:

I was done shooting before the last steel fell which kind of messed me up mentally. Because the steel didn't fall as fast as I was shooting…my mind thought I might have missed…so the last paper target I rushed a little so I could go back and clean up the steel. Well I got 2 delta on the last paper target (rushing) and went back to the steel only to see the last piece fall.

Lesson learned: It's good to let go and trust, however, be sure to see what you need to see.

There's no need for a "however", here. You can have both. You stopped trusting and doubted what you'd already seen, having called the shot on the steel.

There was something really cool that happened here, that I'm not sure you're picking up on (at least, its not coming across, if you are). Your skill improvements allowed you to overrun your previous beliefs and expectations about your shooting, and your awareness was dialed up enough that you picked up on the fact that the steel didn't appear to be falling. That's a big jump, and should not be overlooked. Ok, so you got a little bit distracted because your focus was a little wide, and then you went into "rush" mode in trying to stop the clock (ie, you rushed on the 2nd paper to get back to the steel) - that's normal, especially for noticing something like that from out of nowhere. Sure, we don't want to shoot Ds, and you've got an emphasis point for some practice - visual patience and follow through - but you simply can't overlook how cool it is to shatter your previous conceptions like that. Give yourself the credit you deserve - examine everything you did right on that stage - I don't see any of that here. All I see is the stuff you think you did wrong (and really, none of that is really all that "wrong").

Lessons Learned: QUIET MIND, DON'T JUDGE, all that exsit is what you see without any judgements, words or thoughts. A bad stage allows me to practice my disappointment strategy.

If you'd stop having expectations, you wouldn't need a disappointment strategy ;):lol:

It really does help to nail the first action in a stage, as it seems to help set things on the right path - but you're absolutely right that striving for a quiet, non-judgemental shooting context is the most effective thing to do. Its admittedly difficult - and I find myself trying to make up mistakes by slipping into a less patient mode of shooting, too. One thing I've been using that seems to help me out is if I make a mistake, I say "settle" to myself as I start into the next action - it seems to serve as a positive affirmation to get back on the right track and just do my job (that being to drive the gun calmly, patiently, and accurately). Finding an affirmation or something else to say to yourself in that situation - something that's not "Gee, dummy, way to blow that draw" - might help manage recovering from the slop without damaging the rest of the run.

I had a questionable squib

:blink:

I was capable of the first plan which would have been faster…but after the squib and I saw I didn't have the control that I wanted with the gun…I chickened out. I absolutely backed down and chickened out…interesting.

In many cases, discretion is the better part of valor. In this case, the squib may have done some shaking, but it sounds like you were not happy with how the plan was working, so went to a plan that would allow you to gain a higher score, based on the game you brought with you that day. "Chickening out" is your ego talking. We generally don't get to reshoot stages for score, so you had an unusual chance to assess your plan and decide if that was the best move, and you made a choice to change the plan in order to get more points. That doesn't sound like a bad thing to me...???

This IS a case where understanding the math might help - you could figure how many points the time difference is worth, and compare against the points you were losing by taking the "fast" route - and then pick the route that leads to the highest hit factor...

Lessons learned: Learn to do the math! Instead of just listening to everyone I need to be able to figure out the math myself. Is the drop turner worth it?? I need to be able to answer that question myself.

Yeah, its not to hard to do, in the end. It occasionally comes in handy. But... my rule of thumb is that unless it really becomes apparent that leaving the points behind really works to a clear advantage... pick up the points. I've seen a couple of stages along the way where it makes sense to leave them, but they're relatively rare. It does help to know how to recognize them, though...

I had a questionable round which gave me a re-shoot because the RO stopped me.

Again, I say.... :blink: What's going on with your ammo?? Two squib-ish rounds in one match???

I had good target acquisition and saw my hits but the stage just left me with a feeling of being mediocre.

Make sure this wasn't a result of the rest of the day and your mind trying to bring down what quite possibly was a decent performance on that stage. I mean, with all the other bad stuff, how can you possibly have a bright spot??? :lol::D

Jake posted a piece about visualization recently. I'm thinking about re-doing this match in my head. Now that I've already done it…I think it will be easier to visualize perfectly. Perhaps this will undo what I actually did in my subconscious and move me ahead. In theory I think this may be a good plan.

Do it - and edit out anything sub-par and substitute in perfect performance parts instead. ;)

Thinking about shooting steel this weekend. I'm curious to see what my head will do with that.

Hopefully... it'll just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger... ;)

Edited by XRe

XRE...that post was awesome...thank you. I liked the part about "beating myself up" :lol::lol: Good one!

I want to talk about the squib issue. I was shooting my son's .40 caliber open gun...my gun IS STILL IN ARIZONA...should be back this week. Anyway, Dave loaded the rounds on the 650. We think some used brass we picked up on the range might have still had a little mositure in it. We think perhaps some of the corn cob stuff got stuck in there causing the powder not to burn well and causing a "light" load. No round got stuck in the barrel...it just sounded and felt really weird. My husband was the RO...so I think he was extra careful to stop me cause he didn't want my face to blow up. That's love :wub:

"Great Expectations"

I know having no expectation is a great big key in mental success and unlocking performance. I just don't know how to grasp on to that key. How in the heck are you supposed to visualize, mentally rehearse something perfectly..and then step to the line and not have any expectations? And yet...I know that is what I need to do. Perhaps the key for me is to NOT UNDERSTAND IT and JUST DO IT! HAVE NO EXPECTATION. There's a homework assignment I'll need to work on.

The stage I shot so fast....there was freedom there. That was a glimpse of what I'm capable of. The feeling of that stage is what I'll take away from the match. I'm very curious to go shoot steel this weekend...cause all my dry fire should pay off on that type of match...OOPHS!!! There I go again....EXPECTATION!!!!!! I'm cursed :angry:

Stage: 2 Speed Demon

Place Name No. Class Division Pts Pen Time Hit Fact Stg Pts Stg %

1 Ball, Jane 49 B Open 33 0 3.89 8.4833 40.0000 100.00%

2 Mike 26 B Production 38 0 5.22 7.2797 34.3248 85.81%

3 Darrell 24 B Limited 10 38 0 5.26 7.2243 34.0636 85.16%

4 Aron 3 B Limited 39 0 5.78 6.7474 31.8150 79.54%

5 Larry 20 A Limited 39 0 5.84 6.6781 31.4882 78.72%

6 Dave 40 C Limited 38 0 5.72 6.6434 31.3246 78.31%

7 Ryan 11 B Limited 38 0 5.94 6.3973 30.1642 75.41%

HOA on a stage...it's a start :cheers:

Jane,

Awesome stage win. Congrats!

Hey, don't fault yourself for having expectations. It's expectations that leave us feeling good about doing what we were supposed to or disciplining ourselves if we didn't. I try every now and again to have no expectations. Or to say I don't. But I always do.

They say one of the huge benefits of Tiger Woods right now is he really only has positive vibes going on. Yes, he has lost. But the vast majority of his memories are wins. Huge wins. Monumental, record breaking wins. Everytime he tees it up, he has a memory of doing so once before . . . when he won.

I watched him this weekend, he hit this AWESOME approach onto the 18 green. He hit a 5 iron about 164 yards, in the wind, and landed it 25 feet from the pin. Now, he could probably crank a 9 iron that far. But he picked a club, he had confidence in the decision, he knew what result he wanted and he stuck that bad boy. Expectations? Yeah, he expected to land precisely where he did. If he'd a shanked it, he'd a recovered. Wouldn't have dwelled on it. But I firmly believe he has the highest expectations every time he stands by a ball. He just let's the bad ones be what they are. And he calmly, confidently, stands by that ball again. Swings with no fear, knowing that if he doubts because of the last shot, there's no way he can pull this next shot off.

J

Edited by j1b