Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Jane, check this out, maybe it will give you something to look fwd to next year. Also do a search for "Texas heart shot", you might learn something about shot placement. Will only work with a slug, I wouldn't recommend it with buckshot.

And here is a post where I was successful in the woods this year.

Georgia deer

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He who hesitates.....doesn't get the deer or the gun ;):D

I'm taking down my 2008 yearly planner calendar and putting up the 2009 one.

I'm looking at 3 yearly calendars and analyzing how I have trained over the past 3 years. My first "X" was made in December 2005. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about...I keep a yearly grease board type calendar in my office and when I dry fire I placed a blue X and when I live fire I place a red X on it.

I really hate to say this....but looking at the calendars and knowing where my peak best performances have been over the last 3 years...VOLUME of practice DOES matter for me. I have my best performances coming off a month of every day dry fire or a month of heavy volume live fire....DUH! I also discovered in the 2008 season that interval training of intensity works well for me. I get bored training like the faithful turtle. I like to go hard and then lay off. So...one of my keys in 2009 is to figure out where in the calendar my heavy training is going to be. I'm going to take what I have learned about myself these last few years and come up with an interval training schedule that hopefully gives me performance peaks at the right time. I did a good job peaking myself at the right time in 2008. In August and September I was "there". Now...let's see if I can figure out how to peak more than once a year. ;)

I still need to post my "letting go" thing. I think I'm dragging my feet a little because one of the things I'm going to let go of is this diary...and I have periods of doubting that I can do that. :mellow:

I can't stand not talking about it.....

3 gunning in the dark with flash lights on a cold winter night. IT ROCKED!!! IT was AWESOME!!! I'm head over heels in love with the AR15. :wub: Nuff said. ;)

Where did you shoot 3 gun in the dark? Was it local???? Man I have always wanted to do that. They wouldn't hear of it hear. Sounds like fun.

Chris C.

Private property, private range, .22 conversion kit used in AR, .22 pistols, very few rounds out of the shot gun (to keep noise down). Shot at steel targets with AR and pistol and clay pigeons in the berm with shot gun. Did not shoot for an extended period of time...less than an hour. It wasn't a match...it was more of a testing of equipment and techniques in the dark. OH yeah and did I mention....IT ROCKED! :cheers:

I really liked shooting in the dark. Hmmmm...maybe I should try coon hunting??? :roflol:

[Testosterone and Aggresssion

Does a woman have to have testosterone and aggression to be successful in this sport? I would have to personally disagree. One of the myths that I tried to swallow was that I needed to be more aggressive to be a successful competitor. During my journey over this past year I found that to be untrue. Trying to be something you're not is never a good formula. The power for me was not found in BEING aggressive. I found the power was in being in a quiet non emotional state, and allowing myself the freedom to attack stages. The power is in letting oneself go...not in pushing oneself forward. I write this for women as a testimony that they don't have to turn into an aggressive man to be a successful shooter. Be who you are and shoot from that power.

Don't get lost in the sex wars....be who God created you to be....and live in that freedom....allow yourself to succeed.

The power is in letting go. That is what I have found to be my truth and that is what I will be continuing to pursue in the 2009 season. How much can I let go? I just got a small little taste of what that means in 2008. Now I want a bigger bite. I know there is more on the table to digest and I want it.

When I returned from Nationals there were two images that haunted me. One was the bizarre experience of shooting 30 yard poppers by aiming into the berm! The other was coming home and trying on my leopard skinned peep toe pumps that I so desperately wanted to wear with my yellow dress and they didn't fit. I tend to pay attention to thoughts, visions and feelings and then try to figure out what it means to me. For me the message was…aim for something else to get what you really want and think bigger. At first I thought that may mean to shoot for a bigger goal in shooting…like trying for a World Title in 3 years but then I wrote that post above and now I think I know what that something bigger is. I'm going to let go.

What does that mean?

1. I'm going to let go of my diary. The diary has been an incredible place for me to develop and grow. I hope others have been inspired, encouraged, and entertained as I've struggled and worked hard at becoming. I will continue to train, but I want to free myself of doing so in the public eye. I'm not going to shut it down completely. I want to post some stepping stones as I continue to train to win and develop skills. Some of those stepping stones would be: A card, Master card, breaking the 2 second bill drill, breaking a 6 second El Prez, winning my class at a major…stuff like that.

2. I'm going to let go of placement and performance goals of any kind. I'm going to free myself up to really move forward. I still want to win. I still want to develop in performance. I still have stepping stone markers of development in mind. I'm just not going to AIM at those things. Remember my 30 yard popper analogy? I think this is where that comes into play. I'm going to ruthlessly train again but this time with focused attention on developing skills. I don't want any distractions with performance goals or placements. I'm going to AIM at mastery of skill. I bet there are some of you LYAO right now thinking I'm making a big mistake. We'll see my friend….we'll see. I've got a hunch about myself. ;)

3. I'm going to allow myself to cross train in shooting. I'm letting go of monogamy to one sport and will explore other shooting avenues. I'm in love with the AR15. I'm going to allow myself to venture into 3 gun. I see myself as a shooter…now I want to become a shootist.

I'm excited about the new year and I'm anxious to train again and see what happens.

One of the things I will miss is writing in my diary. I really enjoyed expressing my thoughts and sharing my stories. Because I knew I couldn't let go of that….I've set up my own blog. It's called Jane's Devotional Diary. It's stories and thoughts about me that has a spiritual focus. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm throwing out the address in case someone may be interested.

Here’s the address where you can find me: http://janesdevotionaldiary.blogspot.com/

Best wishes to all! I'll be seeing you at the range in 2009 :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1. I'm going to let go of my diary. The diary has been an incredible place for me to develop and grow. I hope others have been inspired, encouraged, and entertained as I've struggled and worked hard at becoming. I will continue to train, but I want to free myself of doing so in the public eye. I'm not going to shut it down completely. I want to post some stepping stones as I continue to train to win and develop skills. Some of those stepping stones would be: A card, Master card, breaking the 2 second bill drill, breaking a 6 second El Prez, winning my class at a major…stuff like that.

Well this has been a historic weekend for the Ball Family.

My 16 yr old got his driver's license

My 14 yr old shaved for the first time

And I broke the 2.0 second bill drill barrier :D

I did a 1.96

Break down looks like this:

1.12 Draw

I knew I was close to breaking this a couple weeks ago when I did time trials. I was doing 2.0's easy squeasy but each time I would dip under (1.87-1.94) I would throw one shot.

Next goal with the Bill drill is to break 1.90

The plan to do that is to get a good 1.0 second draw at 7yd. I've got a 1.0 second draw at 7 but it's not consistent and comfy yet. It's real comfy in dry fire but the work in dry fire hasn't yet translated to live fire. I need more live rounds down range and then I think the benefit of my dry fire work will translate into my live fire. ;)

I've waited 2 years to make this post. Now that I've accomplished it...it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. :lol:

On to more doing....I hope I get to post again soon :)