Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Who I am is Who I wanna be

lyrics from "I'm a Survivor"

Reba McEntire

It's been stressful around here. Christmas cards, packages to be mailed, shopping to do, wondering where the money is going to come from to pay for Christmas, grocery shopping, baking, getting the family ready to travel, and don't forget the day job. Oh yeah, and I think I'm coming down with a sinus infection. <_< I'm tired. So instead of getting up and doing my workout this morning like I was supposed to do, I slept in. When I awoke the thought came to me, who I am is who I wanna be.

I think those lyrics hit me so hard the first time I heard them because that is how I would like to live my life. Yet, I have found the journey to who I wanna be much like a horse chasing a dangling carrot. The horse strives with each step to reach the carrot but always comes up short. This morning I realized that it's not about chasing the carrot, it's about eating the carrot everyday.

IMO the most powerful word in the universe is choice. We choose who we are at each moment. I chose to eat the Christmas cookies at work and paid the consequence of gaining a pound this week. I chose to sleep in because I was tired. My choices define who I wanna be. Who I wanna be is not some distant goal to be strived for. Who I wanna be is who I am right now based on the choices I make. It's a mind twister. :wacko:

Why am I bringing this up? I'm a little off my training plan related to the holiday circumstances. I'm telling myself it's OK. Very soon things are going to change and I will make choices that will put me back on the training plan path. I can rest and know, who I am is who I wanna be right now. ;)

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Ladder to Success

I think winning is a process. I'm sure that is true because no one, with the exception of lottery winners, wins without some sort of effort/plan to do so. I believe accomplishments demand structure. Therefore I'm going to explain my training plan in terms of a ladder.

I've already identified my top two goals for the 2008 season: receive an A card in Open and to perform at 70% or better in major matches. Those goals are at the top of my ladder this year. Below those goals will be smaller enabling goals to help get me get to the top. The smaller enabling goals will be like the rungs of the ladder. I will identify those enabling goals later. I need to do some standards testing and recording of times to see what kind of goals I need to make in that regard.

The sides of the ladder consist of the training plan. One side of the ladder is the definition of the work to be done, and the other side is ACTUALLY DOING the work. I realize I must have both just like I need both sides of a ladder to hold the rungs.

My training plan is very similar to last year.

January, February, March (Training Season)

Send gun in for maintenance (shoot Jackson's open gun while mine is gone)

Standards shooting and recording of times (set enabling goals)

Dry fire 5 x's a week with a specific training plan based on assessment of skills

Live fire once a week with a specific training plan based on assessment of skills

Physical (lift 3, areobic3, stretch 5, swim 2, keep records, drop 12 lbs body weight)

April, May, June, July (Competitive Season)

Train at ladies camp

Train with others

Major matches: Ladies S&W, A6, A5, Indiana State, Nationals?

Continue dry fire 5 x's week, live fire once a week (plus matches & league night)

Continue to work on enabling goals, readjust goals as needed

August, September, October (Throttle Back Season)Shoot local matches

Slack off of training

November, December (The Lay Off)

Why do I believe this training plan will work this year when last year I didn't have the success I was hoping for with my limited gun? There really are two reasons. I've finally identified what is mentally holding me back and I'm addressing that. The other reason (and you may remember this) I put the open gun down just when I started winning some stages and picked up the limited gun for Nationals. It was with the limited gun I got my butt kicked…not the open gun. I am an open gun shooter. I discovered that about myself last year. That discovery was a pretty big piece of my puzzle that was missing. I can hardly wait to have an entire season with my open gun. It's like Mike's Grandma says, "Every horse has a saddle that fits." I've found mine. ;)

Eventually, I'm going to quit talking and start shooting.... :D

I've already identified my top two goals for the 2008 season: receive an A card in Open and to perform at 70% or better in major matches.

Hmmm... shoot the right classifiers, and 70% of a M class shooter. You've accomplished your goals... but are you satisfied? Is all your hard work worth this kind of pay value?

70% at Nationals...? What if your gun fails you? It happens. Will the success/failure of all your hard work be determined by this kind of score?

Be careful with those kind of goals... This is probably a really good one for XRe to chime in about...

Be careful with those kind of goals... This is probably a really good one for XRe to chime in about...

What, so now you want my input on goals??? :D:lol:

I've cautioned Jane offline about these sorts of goals - I set them myself, and I think its pretty tough not to have some match performance goals in mind for the year. What I've mentioned to her is that, if the goal of shooting at 70% of the match winner is the only benchmark for success (lets presume its a GM and not an M - she's headed to some big matches, this year, too - A6 and Nats), she could easily have set herself up for failure. I view these sorts of goals in my plan as more of a "this would be great to acheive", recognizing that its the rest of the stuff - Jane's training ladder - that actually provides the success for the year.

What does it take to shoot 70% of Max, or Chris, or Eric at a major match? You have to do lots of things very well, your equipment has to work 100%, and your head has to be together. Striving to do all of those things, and addressing your weak points through the year is how you do it, of course. And that effort is where the real improvement and goal winning success lies - but you have to make sure you realize that, and don't get too hung up on that "must shoot 70%" thing.

Another thing I suggested is that she consider saying "shoot 70% at one major match" or something to that effect, giving her multiple chances to achieve the goal, rather than an "all or nothing" type of thing. She may be keeping that in her head, or just didn't translate it onto the forum, or is disregarding it ;)

At least, that's all from my perspective and what seems to work for me :) Jane is very aggressive in her goal setting, which I think is probably a good thing. She dreams big. She may find that she needs to step back, review her goals, and reset expectations during the year as her situation changes - nothing wrong with that, either.

Jane, are you tired of me talking about you in the 3rd person yet??? :D

What, so now you want my input on goals??? :D:lol:

Nope. :P But you're much more e-articulate than I am. ;)

(lets presume its a GM and not an M)

Point being... you're basing your success/failure on a percentage of the performance (good or bad) of another shooter. Having that as a primary goal of a season will either set you up for certain failure... or underestimate your abilities.

Which, of course, you've explained very eloquently. :D

I've already identified my top two goals for the 2008 season: receive an A card in Open and to perform at 70% or better in major matches.

Hmmm... shoot the right classifiers, and 70% of a M class shooter. You've accomplished your goals... but are you satisfied? Is all your hard work worth this kind of pay value?

70% at Nationals...? What if your gun fails you? It happens. Will the success/failure of all your hard work be determined by this kind of score?

Thanks for chiming in Sharyn! You've talked to Lanny and been through his course...Please give me some examples of goals that would be worthy to post. Show me some of the wording that allows me to win without measuring myself to others. :)

I'm not Sheryl, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn....

BUT, been there and done that with Lanny in books, tape, and in person.

Sooooooo, IMHO what you need to do is set goals that only involve YOU and YOUR performance and don't hinge on someone else's performance.

Let's say that shooter X, or whoever you are gauging yourself against has a terrible match. Gun breaks, ammo jams, whatever. Their match sucks. And your match, on the other hand, is quite stellar. Do you really want to compare your score to his/her's based on that match? Yeah, you might finish well above your stated goal of 70%, but what does that mean, and what would its value be to you?

The only person you can control is you. Leave the others out of your goals, and make them inclusive to your performance, and your performance only, and you'll be way ahead of the game.

The following post was written when Calamity Jane was feeling very emotional. Nothing that is written is meant to offend anyone. I just need to vent my heart. Xre, Catfish, Sharyn...you guys are right. I know what you are saying. I know why you are saying it. Just be patient with me and allow me to say this...

Disappointment Strategy

The subject of my goals has certainly brought many opinions out of the wood work. There seems to be many an experienced shooter (all of which I respect and admire…XRE, Catfish, Sharyn etc…) who thinks setting goals based on someone else's performance to be a great mistake. It seems the only goals worthy to be set are those in which we can control. Therefore, I would contend that no one could or should set the goal of winning because winning is really out of our control.

Let's talk about what really is going on here. This is about fear. What are we afraid of? We are afraid of disappointment and failure. We don't want to set a placement goal because we are afraid we can't achieve it (because other people are involved) and not achieving it will lead us to great disappointment. Disappointment is the threshold to many dark things like anger, bitterness, and self loathing. I know all about disappointment and what can happen to you when you walk through that threshold. IMO the key is not in setting goals that don't lead to disappointment…the key is to have a strategy for handling disappointment. I dare say the most important part of the mental program is not what happens before the first shot is fired…it is what happens in your head after the last shot is fired that really matters. When you walk away from your scored targets…what are you saying to yourself? Right then and there is when the true mental program matters. What is your disappointment strategy?

I just got some very disappointing news today that has left my heart greatly burdened. My best friend's teenage daughter is pregnant. I wish I could express how devastating that news is. You see my best friend was also a teenage mom. She has lived her whole life with the goal to undo the mistakes of her past. She has tried to break free from the horrible childhood she had and provide a wonderful environment for her daughters. She has been a fantastic mother. She wanted her daughters to have all the opportunity and life experience that she missed out on because she became a pregnant teenager. That was her goal and she didn't get it…disappointment...failure. Was it a mistake for her to set such a goal? Obviously, others were involved and she couldn't control the outcome. So was she wrong? I dare say she was not wrong. You see sometimes you have to believe in things that are out of your control. Sometimes you have to reach for things that are out of your reach because it is worthy to do so. Is life to be lived in fear? I choose a life of freedom. I know how to be free of fear and I choose to live that way.

What is my disappointment strategy? Forgiveness, love, patience, kindness, and goodness…this is how to come against disappointment. It's the exercise of these fruits that heal the wounded heart and allow one to proceed on to the next stage (whatever that may be) without fear.

What are my goals for 2008? What I really want is not some accomplishment on a score sheet. What I really want is an amazing accomplishment as a person. I want to live out the freedom I have so that you can see it. I want to show you my heart with a gun in my hand. Is that so hard to understand??? Now there is a goal that only involves me…perhaps that should be at the top of my ladder.

Why can't I just shut up and shoot? Soon...very soon.

Jane

That's everything you need. I recommend starting today.

Goals are personal. Nobody really, except you, can take credit/blame, achieved or not. Never back down or feel bad when you achieve them. I say that cause there are a lot of people that will try to make you feel bad.

Managing disappointment is an interesting subject, especially in this context. Certainly, as I started to learn about the mental side of the game, it was the first thing I had to tackle. I suspect it might be the same for anyone who spends too much time in their own head like I do ;) I absolutely agree that the time immediately following a stage - and the self-talk that emerges and is allowed to cement in the aftermath - those are great times to start seeing how solid your head is put together.

At some point along the way, the focus shifted. I learned how to be a good friend to myself and forgive my mistakes, and shrug off the bad stages - and really relish the good ones. At that point, my pre-stage skills became more important - setting up the good performance. And then, after that, my self-talk through the whole match, on the drive out to the match, on the way home, in the days and weeks and months ahead of time.... All of that has taken on more and more focus.... It starts with accepting where you're at, and what's in the past, but then moves forward from there....

As far as setting goals based on others' performances, like I said, for me, they're self defeating unless I give them boundaries and monitor them carefully. For instance, what if you don't shoot 70+% at a major this year - but you go out and shoot the best possible match you can each time, and make no major mistakes? For me, that means I probably tried to bite off more than I could chew - maybe I'll reformulate the goal, or expand the time boundary on it (ie, make it a goal for the next year). I also take that as a sign that I might need to re-examine what I'm doing well, and make sure I'm not starting to be negative because I couldn't hit a goal that I set too high.

The flip side - what if it turns out to be a cinch? ;) Again, re-evaluate, re-formulate... and make sure to give yourself credit for what you did well, too. A cinch effort for me can be as bad mentally as one that I set too high - for the reasons that Catfish goes into. Its easy to start undermining the solid effort I put in - that's that fear of success thing happening.

You must dream, and because of that, you inevitably have goals that involve someone else's performance. Any high achiever in this game wants to win. It would be false to deny that I don't have the same thinking. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. You already know how to mitigate most of the negative side effects of such a goal (the enabling training plan and associated goals and sub-goals, execution of your plan, and honest, consistent examination of the results). You've been down the other path, and it sucks. Where most of us fail with those goals, though, is refusing to be flexible and honest with ourselves when things get outside our comfort zone on them - when we find them too hard or unrealistic, or too easy.

The cautionary notes are, I think, just coming from folks who've paid the price for using those goals in ways that proved unproductive for them. They care about you, and don't want to see you suffer the same pain :) Remember, mine took me out for 6 years... Fact is, though, you have to find what works for you in this regard, and learn what Jane really needs to drive the machine - and what gets her off in the ditch ;)

Jane

Goals are personal. Nobody really, except you, can take credit/blame, achieved or not. Never back down or feel bad when you achieve them. I say that cause there are a lot of people that will try to make you feel bad.

Yep, the proof is in the pudding. At some point I'm going to have to start making pudding. ;)

You're right...there are consequences to success...to achieving that which you start out to achieve. I'm going to talk about that later because it's part of my mental management strategy.

When I think of you Bill...I think "you're only as good as you are" and "avoid expectations" See...you taught me something. :D

Jane is very aggressive in her goal setting, which I think is probably a good thing. She dreams big. She may find that she needs to step back, review her goals, and reset expectations during the year as her situation changes - nothing wrong with that, either.

Jane dreams big. Perhaps, but getting an A card and having a goal to shoot 70% at "A" major match I don't think is dreaming that big. I can name many women around the country that have obtained this goal. Dreaming big would be to say "Be the 2008 National Ladies Open Champion". That would be a ridiculous, disappointing goal...no matter how many times I write it down in Lanny speak. Why? Because there is nothing underneath of it to support it. IMO it's the support and foundation underneath your goal that truly determines your success.

I'm building a ladder. Sure the top of my ladder at this point is the A card and the 70% of "others" mark but that is not the end. Once I can see that trend of achievement I build the ladder higher. For Jane to succeed I need measurable, obtainable goals.

Here's the thing...When I start shooting 70% at major matches...then I will be in a position to make the goal statement...Be a ladies National Champion....So the A card and the 70% are really enabling goals to something much higher.

Ok...I'm going to put this in for Bill....When I say A card....I do mean to actually shoot to the level of an A card each and every time out....not just nail a few classifiers. :)

I do appreciate those who have tried to warn me, caution me, and challenge me to be careful with my goals and the wording. Your experience and knowledge I value. Thank you.

I look at it this way....if I mess up...I can always get a do over. ;)

Edited by Calamity Jane

Jane,

I think you're perfectly fine with the goals. How you get to them means you've got to perform, but in terms of using those goals as a benchmark to understand where you're at . . . makes sense to me.

Goals are just that. Goals. We can all have our opinion on what the right goals are or the wrong goals, but I don't know if it matters. Goals are for the individual. They are the things that individual wants to accomplish.

I think Dave is right in that you need to evaluate them as you progress, make certain they are still testing you. May turn out that as you train and get ready for this rodeo that hitting 70% at the majors is getting easier and easier. That would be the time (IMO) to start thinking 75% or 80% is the new goal.

You'll get to the point where the goal is WIN. That's it. Win. My ONLY caution then is to realize that there's a difference between the goal, the "want" if you will, and what needs to be done. You gotta perform. Execute.

If you practice hard, continuously improve, and execute in matches there shouldn't be a goal out there you can't achieve.

Hope you (and all forum members) have a fantastic Christmas!

J

Hi from Tennessee,

THIS is going to be pretty LONG but bear with me.

Been gone a little while, saw this and thought I'd add a little real world experiance.

Not just for JANE, but the rest as well.

I have not told this to anyone, but a few real close friends.

Looking back to 2005.

That was the year I decided to SERIOUSLY shoot revolvers, and shot them exclusively at any and all matches I attended, even 3-gun matches.

I had made several goals.

1: Go up in classification, and be able to shoot to that level at Major matches.

2: break the 2 second barrier on the reload (on a target at 7 yds, with A hits on all shots)

3: shoot a clean error free MAJOR match

4: shoot 60+% of the match winner of the local matches I shoot (all have M and GM Open shooters) with my revolver.

Those were my goals, nothing mentioned about placing in a particular spot, or vs any particular person.

At the time I was just into B class and could shoot that or better at any match except when Mr. Miculek showed up, and then was close.

I worked all winter on dry fire reloads, getting to where I could do a par time reload in 1.75 regularly and a good one mixed in every now and then.

I go down to the A-4 match in June, have 11 revolver shooters there that year, a couple I know can shoot as well as I but no Jerry, Smith & Wesson has him out working in AZ. I have what I would call a better than normal, and likely a 105% match for me and actually win A-4 !!!! :surprise: (I would call it an error free match, but I did draw a few penalties all were chosen though)

So now it is June, the Nationals are in early September and I have already gotten 2 of the 4 goals I have made, time to make new ones....................

I decide that at the Nationals, I WILL shoot 80% of Jerry as one of my new goals.

Work takes a downturn so I decide to ask for a layoff so I could get in more practice. Layoff is granted now I have 7 days a week to do what I need to do to get ready to shoot 80% of Jerry.

I start shooting a club match every weekend somewhere, and now am at the range 5 days a week, twice a day once in the morning when it is somewhat cool, and then in the afternoon in the heat of the day so I'd be mentally and physically prepared for Barry in the first week of September.

I'm now shooting 200+ rounds at a match on Saturday, then 1000 rounds a day M-F from June 15 to the week before Nationals.

Let me tell you one thing about this much shooting, unless you just really aren't attempting to get better you will.

AND you will go through a whole bunch of $$$$ in reloading supplies :(

Now, forward to 2 weeks before Nationals, I have now gone up in classification, and am now shooting nearly 70% of the hot shots at the club matches. :huh:

So all 4 first of the year goals have been attained, now all I have to do is FOCUS on the newest (80% of Jerry at Nationals, And the top 4.) and I have all the confidence that it is possible as I get into a stage and kind of go into "Autopilot" when the buzzer goes off, yet know what exactly is going on at the time (more on that later)

The week of the nationals (started on a Thursday I think) Monday I do a really hard practice and go through 600 rounds that morning, I then go and clean the gun to a like new or better cleaning job, I then go that afternoon and shoot another 500 rounds but with match ammo. Have a really bad practice that afternoon as I'm really pushing to have a 110% practice and that bites me in the ass, so I just quit in the middle of practice and call a good friend, we have a good 1 hr chat (oh he's a pretty good shooter too "GM") about what I'm having troubles on that day. I then refocus, and have a good end of practice.

Nationals:

I did not shoot with ANY other revolver shooters, as I was shooting with two of my Mississippi friends so I'm stuck in a squad of all Limited shooters but me, andit had 1 GM, 7 M, 1 A, 1C, and myself pretty tough company but to be honest with you, now I think it was also a bonus.

We were shooting half days and if I remeber correctly the majority of the revolvers shot on the other half of the day, I also was a stage ahead of them in the rotation.

the first day we shot 3 stages, I did good on two and average on the other.

The second day we shot 6 stages, I felt at the time I did great on 1 (14 the hardest stage of the match) good on 3 and average on the other two.

The 3rd day we shot 6 stages, I felt I was shooting on a pace to make my goal (I don't look at preliminary scores) and shot 3 good stages, THEN.

STAGE 18:

It is one of those stages, shoot it conservatively and live to fight again. or go for it and put a nail in th coffin of the other guys...............I've always been one not to go the conservative route. So I go for it.

AND BLOW IT OUT MY A$$....................

2 mikes on swingers, 2 no shoot hits that cause mikes and now I have ZERO'ed a 90 point stage at the Nationals, where my goal is to shoot 80% of Jerry (Yes that DID go through my hard head).

The next stage is the Darkhouse, It requires focus and concentration so I manage to some how get that last stage off my mind and shoot it.

Then the last stage of the day, felt pretty good about the Darkhouse and was feeding off it and had let the other stage get off my mind. Shot it what I though was "Man that was pretty good"

The last day we shot 3 stages, I felt I shot one good and the other two average.

Now with half a day to look back at the entire match, all I could think about was the ONE stage that I zero'ed. My buddies Chad and Bryant kept telling me I had a great match but it didn't help one bit.

Results come out and Somehow my name is there, 6th overall. with 2 stage wins (14 and 2).

I have many of my friends coming by and congratulating me for 6th and 2 stage wins..........all the while I'm getting more and more disgusted for ZEROing that one stage.(that was all I could think about)

Even Jerry came and chatted with me about how good a match I shot, but I still was MAD about the one stage.

Awards came and went, we decided to hit the road that night so away we went to Tennessee, and Mississippi.

All the way home, Chad kept saying how good a match I shot and going on about stage wins at the Nationals especially stage 14 the hardest stage ot the match (I shot it the fastest, and dropped the least points of any revolver shooter) and stage 2 (that was the second stage after I Zeroed the other stage).

But still all I could think about is that Zeroed stage, and how it cost me the top 4 and 80% of Jerry. I ended up shooting 78+% BTW.

Got home and had many friends e-mailing me about how I did good and congats for the stage wins ect. and still all I could think about was that one stage..........now it is starting to get to me. I'm getting not only mad at myself but pretty discusted with Revolver shooting and lay it down not to touch one again for another 5 months.

In the next half a year it took all my will to even shoot USPSA even with a Limited gun (a Brand new Benny Hill custom at that).

I was so focused on that stage and it costing me my goal that it ruined the big picture for me and almost made me quit shooting.

Now looking back I can see that 2005 was the best year of my shooting and I can also say that I have/had the thing we are really trying to find................the abilities to win..............not only physically, but mentally. But just did not recognize it at the time.

Hindsight...................20/20 or better.

So in closing,

DON'T focus on the goals as an all to end all, but as a constant road that plays out before you.

Or as in Janes first diary.

A journey to the top of the Mountain.

I got to the rise of my mountain, and let the focus on the top let me miss the journey and the view.

Good luck to all, and may God be with you this year.

Hopalong

Jane dreams big. Perhaps, but getting an A card and having a goal to shoot 70% at "A" major match I don't think is dreaming that big.

I don't think anyone is saying that you've set your goals too high, or that you're dreaming too big. Just be careful how you choose to measure YOUR OWN success. Your personal "pay value" might be more satisfying with the right kind of goals FOR YOU. The rest will fall into place.

I want my A card. I want to perform A level. I want to shoot 70% at major matches. I want to be Ladies National Champion Open Division... there's nothing wrong with that... BUT I've got much more satisfaction (and associated improvements) from evolving my "No Mikes at a Major" goal into "Less D hits". It's measurable. It's independent.

Another goal of mine is to shoot more consistently. I don't have to smoke any stages and I don't want to crash and burn on any either.

Make sense?

:D

I wish you were shooting FL Open. I'm going to delve into Limited... it would be great to trade stories. :D

[

Ok...I'm going to put this in for Bill....When I say A card....I do mean to actually shoot to the level of an A card each and every time out....not just nail a few classifiers. :)

I do appreciate those who have tried to warn me, caution me, and challenge me to be careful with my goals and the wording. Your experience and knowledge I value. Thank you.

I look at it this way....if I mess up...I can always get a do over. ;)

Always think positive and you will get positive results.

There is a special pride in knowing you are accomplished and good.

Its a war. With yourself and your competition. Don't worry its still fun.

I don't think you dream big enough but its really not my business.

Jane

Yep, the proof is in the pudding. At some point I'm going to have to start making pudding. ;)

You're right...there are consequences to success...to achieving that which you start out to achieve. I'm going to talk about that later because it's part of my mental management strategy.

When I think of you Bill...I think "you're only as good as you are" and "avoid expectations" See...you taught me something. :D

Glad I did, so well that's one person.

Keep it in perspective and positive. Confidence is not bad, almost never, but don't be deluded

Nationals:

STAGE 18:

It is one of those stages, shoot it conservatively and live to fight again. or go for it and put a nail in th coffin of the other guys...............I've always been one not to go the conservative route. So I go for it.

AND BLOW IT OUT MY A$$....................

2 mikes on swingers, 2 no shoot hits that cause mikes and now I have ZERO'ed a 90 point stage at the Nationals, where my goal is to shoot 80% of Jerry (Yes that DID go through my hard head).

The next stage is the Darkhouse, It requires focus and concentration so I manage to some how get that last stage off my mind and shoot it.

Then the last stage of the day, felt pretty good about the Darkhouse and was feeding off it and had let the other stage get off my mind. Shot it what I though was "Man that was pretty good"

The last day we shot 3 stages, I felt I shot one good and the other two average.

Now with half a day to look back at the entire match, all I could think about was the ONE stage that I zero'ed. My buddies Chad and Bryant kept telling me I had a great match but it didn't help one bit.

Results come out and Somehow my name is there, 6th overall. with 2 stage wins (14 and 2).

But still all I could think about is that Zeroed stage, and how it cost me the top 4 and 80% of Jerry. I ended up shooting 78+% BTW.

Got home and had many friends e-mailing me about how I did good and congats for the stage wins ect. and still all I could think about was that one stage..........now it is starting to get to me. I'm getting not only mad at myself but pretty discusted with Revolver shooting and lay it down not to touch one again for another 5 months.

In the next half a year it took all my will to even shoot USPSA even with a Limited gun (a Brand new Benny Hill custom at that).

I was so focused on that stage and it costing me my goal that it ruined the big picture for me and almost made me quit shooting.

Hopalong

Thank you for your post Sam. I've learned greatly from what you shared and also from what Jack shared earlier. Both lessons learned are about winning….about kissing the girl at the end of the race (see previous post by me). Your accomplishment in 2005 deserved a warm wet kiss from the pretty hot girl holding the trophy. I'm sorry the disappointment of that one stage stole that moment of well deserved bliss from you. Your post has once again reminded me….never under estimate the power of disappointment and what it can do to you.

Sam, I also wanted to say BRAVO on your performance in 2005. You made yourself one of the top revolver shooters in our nation. What an incredible journey! You know what impressed me the most?? You blew that one stage…but you continued on that day and the next day and shot well. So even though you blew that one stage…it didn't really crumble the rest of your match. WOW!!! Do you have any idea how incredible and how hard that is to pull off?? Especially at a NATIONAL match!! Oh yeah…you deserved to kiss the girl my friend.

I was reading in a magazine last week that it is the 20th anniversary of the classic movie "The Princess Bride". That is one of my favorite movies of all time. I was thinking about the scene in the fire swamp. Wesley and his true love Buttercup had to go through the fire swamp to flee from the bad guys. People were terrified of the fire swamp because of the rodents of unusual size, the fire traps, and the quick sand. But Wesley figured out how to outwit all the traps. I think that may be how it is with winning. There are traps that must be avoided. Jack and Sam have been through the fire swamp and they are telling us what they learned so that we can be better prepared to face winning.

Thanks guys!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

I'm cooking, and reading Esquire's January 08 issue, specifically working my way through the retrospective on ten years of the "What I've Learned" Interview column. Two quotes jumped out at me, with regard to the shooting journey.....

The measure of achievement is not winning awards. It's doing something that you appreciate, something that you believe is worthwhile. I think of my strawberry souffle. I did that at least twenty-eight times before I finally conquered it. --- Julia Child, June 2000.
The impulse toward perfection is more important than perfection itself. --- Faye Dunaway, August 1999

Follow your path, work toward being the very best open shooter, and, oh yeah: Savor every moment of the journey......

Ignore the people who don't understand your path.....

Merry Christmas!

The measure of achievement is not winning awards. It's doing something that you appreciate, something that you believe is worthwhile. I think of my strawberry souffle. I did that at least twenty-eight times before I finally conquered it. --- Julia Child, June 2000.

I think Julia Child was wise woman and a good cook :D Thanks for the quote Nik!

"Jane" WOD

Ski 2 miles Nordic Track

Walking lunges up lane (see picture)

100 push ups

100 sit ups

Stretch

I'm sitting in my chair right now wondering if I will be able to get out of it. My lactic acid level I'm sure is off the charts at this moment. I got all inspired this morning and decided to act on it. I was reading the thread that Chris Conley started on Strength and Flexibility...and ofcourse Jake and XRE had to chime in on how great cross fit is....Cross fit, cross fit, cross fit...everywhere I turn...it's cross fit!! So I'm feeling left out cause everyone is getting all buff doing this type of work out...SOOOOO I decide to give it a try.

What did I find out? I can do more than I think I can do. :rolleyes: I don't think I've ever done 100 pushups...I usually stop at 25. Ofcourse I did sets of 25 (girl style) and rested inbetween sets...BUT I DID THEM! The walking lunges thing...I usually do 12 reps on each leg and call it a day. If you look at the picture of the lane I did my walking lunges on...you will see that it is slightly up hill. I made it about half way to the bird house post and had to stop. From there on I took about 12 steps stopped for a count of 12 and then began again for 12 stopped for a count of 12 etc...much like I climbed the mountain with my MOM. At the top of the lane I was wondering how I was going to walk back because my legs were shaking so bad. That lunge workout reminded me of a workout I did in college which involved running stadium stairs.

I'm sitting here with a smile on my face and a feeling of satisfaction for what I did today. That's a reward in itself.

I talked to a friend of my sister in laws over the holiday about how she trains for marathons. We talked about training plans. She said she writes down a 16 week training plan to get ready for a marathon. Over the next couple of days I'm going to put on paper my training plan for 12 weeks. That will get me to April and the Lady Smith Match/Ladies Camp. After today's workout..I'm really pysched about it. :)

I'm going to have to post the picture of the lane later....can't figure out how to get it done right now. :angry2:

post-7313-1198790173.jpg

Edited by Calamity Jane

That's awesome Jane. Make sure you eat some fruits and vegetables within a half hour of your work out. It will help replace your glycogen stores and also lower the PH level of your blood. (Important because with an acidic PH level it strips calcium out of your bones to use as an alkaline and fruits and vegetables are the only natural alkalines in our diets).