Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a comp on a .45 function at 165 pf?

Gallow

I'm planning to start shooting again, but my guns are pretty obsolete. Back in '91 I had a .45 pin gun built for Second Chance, and later had a new barrel and Middlebrooks comp installed. It's single stack, of course. The comp worked well on the 200-210 pf loads I used for pins, and seemed to be an advantage with the 175 (loaded to 180) pf loads for IPSC. Now that the pf is 165, is that comp going to do anything at all? You might ask, why not try it and see, but I've only got several thousand rounds of 180 pf loads left from the mid-90s (and a bunch of 200 pf loads) and I don't have a reloading machine set up yet.

It won't matter one way or the other. (since it sounds like you are talking USPSA shooting)

That gun, with a comp, will put your equipment in Open division. That is kinda like entering a good dirt track race car in the Indy 500.

So, load it with something you know works the gun and go have fun with it.

Be careful with the old ammo.

I'm planning to start shooting again, but my guns are pretty obsolete. Back in '91 I had a .45 pin gun built for Second Chance, and later had a new barrel and Middlebrooks comp installed. It's single stack, of course. The comp worked well on the 200-210 pf loads I used for pins, and seemed to be an advantage with the 175 (loaded to 180) pf loads for IPSC. Now that the pf is 165, is that comp going to do anything at all? You might ask, why not try it and see, but I've only got several thousand rounds of 180 pf loads left from the mid-90s (and a bunch of 200 pf loads) and I don't have a reloading machine set up yet.

Well, the basic formula is the lightest bullet moving fast. Try some 185 gr bullets and see how that works. Atlanta Arms and Ammo could probably build some for you if you can't find any locally.

Welcome Back!

It won't matter one way or the other. (since it sounds like you are talking USPSA shooting)

That gun, with a comp, will put your equipment in Open division. That is kinda like entering a good dirt track race car in the Indy 500.

So, maybe I'd be better off using my stock .45, and shooting in single stack. That's why I was wondering if the comp was effective at 165pf. Of course then I have to get a new holster, God knows why. To be required to use a concealment holster while bristling with 5 or 6 mags for those 32-round courses seems a little tilted.

So, maybe I'd be better off using my stock .45, and shooting in single stack. That's why I was wondering if the comp was effective at 165pf. Of course then I have to get a new holster, God knows why. To be required to use a concealment holster while bristling with 5 or 6 mags for those 32-round courses seems a little tilted.

Here is a down and dirty little summary of the equipment divisions: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22336

As mentioned, there is no holster restrictions in Limited-10. And, you can use up to 140mm mags there (10 round 45 mags). The 1911 works well there.

Single-Stack division is a bit more old-school. It does require a non-race holster and short mags. You could pick up a plastic holster at most gun places for less than $20.

• 2 months later...
Shoot the stock 45 in Limited 10.. with 10 round mags.. perfect there..

I just looked up the rules, and my Second Chance "stock" gun, a SA 1911 with the Ed Brown grip safety, Bo-Mars, and S&A magwell doesn’t look as if it will be accepted in Limited 10. It looks as though the multiple divisions that have cropped up since I quit, presumably to quell the equipment race and level the playing fields, have pretty much eliminated the 1988-1990 equipment. Only a few people were even shooting dots at my club in 1993. I've got an Aimpoint-mounted single-stack 1911, quite competitive locally in '93, which is not much use now either.

So I guess I'll get some new glasses, get trampled shooting my single-stack iron-sighted comped .45 in open division, and find out if, as a super-senior, I can still use iron sights. If so, maybe I'll get out my 1990 Glock 22, take off the mag well, get some work done so it'll shoot into less that 5" at 15 yards, and load it soft for Production. Or, God forbid, buy a new gun! If not, I'll call it a day. It's not as if spendingg 3-5K on a dot-sighted wide-body open gun is gonna put me on a level playing field at my age anyway, let alone insulate me from the equipment race. But hell, I haven't been competitive at squash for decades.

Too bad Modified hasn't picked up in the US. We geezers could use them red dots.

Shoot the stock 45 in Limited 10.. with 10 round mags.. perfect there..

I just looked up the rules, and my Second Chance "stock" gun, a SA 1911 with the Ed Brown grip safety, Bo-Mars, and S&A magwell doesn’t look as if it will be accepted in Limited 10.

Nothing you named above would rule your stock gun from either Limited-10 or Single Stack Divisions..... what item on the gun did you feel bumped you from being legal? (as long yours doesn't have a comp or electronic sight, you should be good?)

I'd bring the Stock gun, and 5 or 6 mags, decent holster, and try Limited-10 ...... you can use a non-concealment type holster, position your mag holders up front where you can get to them, and with 10 round McCormick mags, a few less mag changes than in SS (which would require 8 round mags).

• 2 weeks later...
Now that the pf is 165, is that comp going to do anything at all?

Now that I have a chrono set up, I can answer the bald question: yes, a comp does hold down muzzle jump considerably, even for 165 pf.

It's true, as has been pointed out, that it would be uncompetitive, not to say silly, to run a single-stack comped .45 in open division.

we shot a bunch of 45 ammo in Al Capizzo's single stack with the comp. the comp works even for the low power factor.

I would put a dot-sight on it and get busy....if anything 155 grain bullets would make it a nice (bit heavy) steel gun.

harmon