Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magazines

NovaShooter

Newbie here and need some more advice!!!

I am having a heck of a time getting the glock mags apart between stages to clean them. Can you guys offer some sugestions to make this easier?

Also, I recently purchased the Arendondo +5 base pads in order to shoot Limited. Can I use these in Production if I only load 10? These are a hell of a lot easier to get apart to clean.

Thanks,

Jayson

Newbie here and need some more advice!!!

I am having a heck of a time getting the glock mags apart between stages to clean them. Can you guys offer some sugestions to make this easier?

Also, I recently purchased the Arendondo +5 base pads in order to shoot Limited. Can I use these in Production if I only load 10? These are a hell of a lot easier to get apart to clean.

Thanks,

Jayson

There is really no need to clean your glock mags between stages unless you drop one in the mud and then step on it or something. The people you see cleaning mags between stages are doing it out of necessity in order to keep their finely oiled machines running. Your glock is not a finely oiled machine. In fact it should have no oil in it at all. A little dust or grit won't hurt a thing. Just slap the mag against your leg a couple times and wipe the outside with a rag and your good to go. If you do want to take the mags apart find a wood post or table or something and push the base pad against it (hard) while pushing in the retaining button on the bottom of the base pad. It's a PITA without modifying the mag as the previous poster suggested.

Speaking for myself only, you'd see me cleaning Glock mags, SS mags, and DS mags because I want the gun to run 100%, not find out how wrong I was about not cleaning them at the worst possible time ;)

I use a razor blade to get rid of the tabs.

Can't use extensions in Production.

We teach the method of inserting a punch to push down on the retainer leaving the punch in and using the punch as lever to slide off the plate.

Works well for us.

Barry B)

Plus F------ ONE! My thumbs bless the day I learned this trick. Who knew?

Previously, I did the:....poke retainer in...find corner of table/desk...poke the retainer in again, 'cause it popped out...shove a corner of the baseplate against the edge of the table with one hand, then use the other hand as a hammer to bang on the hand holding the mag...repeat again and again, as the retainer would pop back into place, or you didn't have just the right amount of baseplate on the table edge....when you did it right, the edge of the table would be nicked, the spring and retainer and baseplate would go flying, and a nice gouge would be removed from the knuckle of the thumb holding the magazine.

How well do the plates hold after you cut out the notches?

They hold just fine as the inside retainer plate tab still holds them in place. When you depress the retainer plate tab inside the mag, the basepads then move easily off the tube.

One of those things that's a piece of cake once you've seen it done once, properly. A picture...er, video, is worth a thousand words of explanation in this case.

http://www.dt-concepts.com/images/magdis.mpg

Edited to add well-deserved credit for the video creator: Randy Smith of Defensive Training Concepts, Inc.

Edited by BayouSlide

How well do the plates hold after you cut out the notches?

I have cut the tabs off of every glock mag I use in uspsa shooting, and I have never had the base plate even come loose in 2+ years of shooting. Cut those damn tabs off and don't even think twice about it again. You will thank me when on stage two, you dump that bad boy in a mud puddle and then have to clean it at the range. A razor or sharp knife is all it takes.

Edited by SA Friday

I just cleaned 7 Glock mags recently, at the end of the season. Some of them had never been taken apart before.

The punch-as-lever technique doesn't work with new mags that have sharp locking tabs, though it usually works with mags that have been taken apart a few times before. The tabs round off a bit, and it gets easier to get them apart.

For new mags, I push the retainer plate so that I can see it up against the front of the magazine through the hole in the baseplate. Then I take a pair of pliers and squeeze in the sides of the mag where the tabs are. The plate will then slide off without much pressure. If you don't get the retainer plate out of the way, it's just about impossible to get that baseplate off.

The pliers mark up the tubes some, but they get dropped onto concrete, and occasionally stepped on, so it doesn't much matter.

Usually when I go messing with the Glock design, it bites me in the . . . eh, foot. I leave the tabs in place.

The video's show it all... there is absolutely NO reason to trim the tabs, squeeze the crap out of the sides of the mag nor bust your knuckles on the corner of the table trying to fight the mag. I still thank the guy who showed me "the light" when it came to cleaning the mags!