Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need SVI Gun Builder help.

JDBraddy

I have an SVI certificate, and have decided I might as well use it to build a limited gun. I went to SVI's gun builder site, and was bewildered by all the choices. Having never shot Limited, I didn't even know what all of them are, much less wich ones I would prefer. I'm needing a little guidance here. JDBraddy

Hmmm...... That's an idea I hadn't though of. I have a neice in Plano who had a baby daughter about four months ago, that I haven't been up to meet yet. I could take a long weekend and make a real trip of it. However, in the mean time, everybody please feel free to enlighten me as to likes and dislikes or thoughts about various features such as five or six inch, Infinicoat or hardchrome, plain barrel or sight-tracker, favorite grip augmentation, fluiting/lightening cuts, etc.... Thinking about it is getting kind of exciting, I've bought semi-custom guns used, but have never had one actually built for me before. JDBraddy

Edited by JDBraddy

Yeah, the gun builder isn't very nice for guys that don't understand what all the options are. I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Then when you're done, it just spits out a list of things you selected from the drop down menus. What would be great is if it generated a picture of what you selected.

I am a fan of the sight tracker. I would recommend a 5-inch gun from SV. A 6 inch gun would be too heavy unless you get it from a smith like Benny Hill. I don't think SV is going to cut it up in house like benny does. Mine was hard chromed by Tripp and I like it a lot. I'm not sure what this "infinicoat" is or what its properties are. Personally, I like the butler stirrup cut with the 3 foreward Xcelerator cuts through the frame.

I've met Benny Hill a few times, we are close enough he comes up to some of our larger matches, and if I didn't have the certificate, I'd probably have gone to him about one of his 6" fat-free guns. Perhapse it would be worth asking if he'd consider modifying a complete SV gun, and if so, what he reccomends that I get on it.

Yeah, the gun builder isn't very nice for guys that don't understand what all the options are. I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Then when you're done, it just spits out a list of things you selected from the drop down menus. What would be great is if it generated a picture of what you selected.

I am a fan of the sight tracker. I would recommend a 5-inch gun from SV. A 6 inch gun would be too heavy unless you get it from a smith like Benny Hill. I don't think SV is going to cut it up in house like benny does. Mine was hard chromed by Tripp and I like it a lot. I'm not sure what this "infinicoat" is or what its properties are. Personally, I like the butler stirrup cut with the 3 foreward Xcelerator cuts through the frame.

There is no help for the SV gun builder. All reports suggest there are options listed you can't get, and options left out that are available.

I think it was a neat idea they never followed through with.

Figure out what features you want and call or visit them directly.

As far as what feels good, or looks good, that differs from person to person. I would recommend that you "touch" or shoot as many guns as you can and decide what attributes YOU like. You might also contact Brandon and see where he and his 'posse' shoot on a regular basis and I'll bet that you find several different configurations to shoot, all in one spot.

Good luck,

Leo

I've met Benny Hill a few times, we are close enough he comes up to some of our larger matches, and if I didn't have the certificate, I'd probably have gone to him about one of his 6" fat-free guns. Perhapse it would be worth asking if he'd consider modifying a complete SV gun, and if so, what he reccomends that I get on it.

JD,

If you ever want to shoot a 6 inch Benny Hill fat free to see what it is like, let me know, I am in San Antonio.

Jerry

That would be great Jerry, when and where would it be convienient for us to meet-up? How about Blackhawk or Bullet-hole sometime this weekend?

JD,

If you ever want to shoot a 6 inch Benny Hill fat free to see what it is like, let me know, I am in San Antonio.

Jerry

i just went through the whole gunbuilder deal, and I spent more time on the phone with brandon and pat to figure out the options. after 10 emails, a dozen phonecalls, I finally figured out all the options and came up with the exact gun I want. Infinicoat is a PVD coating much like Ionbond. In fact it might just be from ionbond! There is also a clear CRM coating for their stainless guns that can bead blasted or aluminum oxide blasted to give stainless that "hard chrome" look. I ordered a sight tracker with free form serrations and kept it Aluminum oxide blasted stainless with the infiniclear CRM coat. If your not sure on the finish, you can always buy the gun in the white and send it to Virgil Tripp or ionbond once the gun has about 500 rds through it and is broken in. otherwise your stuck with either light grey, dark grey, black, or clear from infinicoat. it also takes an additional month. I thought about this after seeing the bill, and thought how nice a Benny Hill FF 6" would be for about $700 less, but since this gun is supposedly for my ex, She is "supposedly" getting the infinity. Now once thats paid for, I'm calling benny! someone was selling a really nice FF 6" on uspsa for $1800. I almost pooped my pants. He sent me the pics yesterday. it was an older 5" guide rod gun, but it was hard chromed, stippled grips, WIlson Wide Ambi's, DK hammer, SV tri glide trigger, Schueman barrel. I think it must of sold because the add was only up for a couple hours then dissapeared. I emailed him to see if it sold, but no response yet... If you like, I will let you know if he responds and email you the pics.

it was a very nice addition for anyones collection.

Edited by SV_shooter