Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting 9mm Major in 38 Super Barrel

ExtremeShot

I agree with Lynn. I shoot some regular 9's through my 9x23 pistols from time to time. I was doing this basically for kicks. They worked fine, but recently I got to thinking that I may get some build-up in the chamber that could cause problems later. Fitting a new barrel would be better, giving you two guns in one.

Buddy

I'm guessing that shooting a 9mm on a 38 super breachface causes problems also? There appears to be a 0.012" difference in head size.

Darren

I agree with Lynn. I shoot some regular 9's through my 9x23 pistols from time to time. I was doing this basically for kicks. They worked fine, but recently I got to thinking that I may get some build-up in the chamber that could cause problems later. Fitting a new barrel would be better, giving you two guns in one.

Buddy

• 2 weeks later...

Its a real bad idea.

They do not headspace on the hook unless your pistolsmith doesn't know what they are doing.

It 4 mm difference in length. What's that .15 difference? (Never converted to metric myself so that number could be off)Would you load your Super to 1.15? Sure it will work for a while. I can shoot 38Super in my .40 too. I won't even get into chamber dimensions

Wasn't my gun or guns.

I'm just saying it ran just fine for maybe the 50 rounds of WWB 9mm I fed that Colt single stack gun chambered in 9 X 23.

What happens to the pistola or the chamber area after a 1,000 rounds, or 5,000, or 10,000, I wouldn't have a clue.

Sounds like you guys are morse versed on it that I am.

Me? I doubt that I will ever own an open gun, so the whole notion of .38 Super (Comp?) and 9mm Major doesn't appeal to me.

Besides, I like the extra margin of safety that .40 gives.

Think about the OAL of any caliber bullet ....... if you load it too long the bullet will ram itself into the rifling of the barrel which causes over-pressures, problems unloading live rounds, and much more. If you load it too short the bullet has to jump further than designed, to meet up with the rifling.

This is what happens (to an extreme) when you shoot the wrong caliber out of your guns. There is a reason why guns are built / designed to shoot a certain caliber, and why bullet manufacturers make different caliber bullets.

I have a buddy that shoots 9mm Major through his 38 Super Open gun. He says he only adjusts the extractor and things work fine for him.

I was curious if anyone else is doing this? If so, how reliable has your gun been?

Thanks,

Darren

Yikes !!!

I can understand wanting to save money on brass or on the cost of re-barreling to 9mm. But just shooting 9mm in a .38 Super/comp chamber in a regular basis "only" is definetely not wise.

As mentioned you will have to deal with fouling and eventually erosion roughness, should you decide to go back to .38 Super/comp, and there might be some loss of accuracy and speed.

But my biggest concern would be as to what would happen if the 9mm cartridge "skipped/jumped" its "un-natural" headspacing into the extractor and was pushed forward, away from the reach of the extractor or pliers, screwdrivers, etc. Time for a squib rod ??

Both 9mm and the .38 Super/comp, like most non-bottleneck cartridges will headspace at the cartridges mouth. The fact that they will slide into and be supported by the extractor claw is not supposed to replace common headspacing guidelines. If your cases are consistently able to move forward, past your extractor in its normal chambering size, then your chamber is wwwwaaay to off, and you would send it back for repairs. So why would you do it on purpose.

On another note. I will build and tune all my competition guns in .38 Super/comp to reliably "extract (pseudo-headspace)" cartridges in either .38 Super or Super/comp ... and 9mm ... reliably. But I don't expect nor want my customers to feed these fine tuned "machines" a steady diet of 9 mm cartridges. Perish the thougth ... ugh !! phew!!!

Besides, I like the extra margin of safety that .40 gives.

<_<

Better guess again. At major .40 doesn't buy you much if any extra safety over 9 or 38s. As a matter of fact if you will follow the KB threads that pop up every once in a while, you may notice that the majority isn't 9 or Super.