Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone tried these?

zhunter

A guy I shot with this past weekend was using THESE BULLETS, said he liked them, any have any opinions?

They are a complete jacketed bullet, as I am not interested in shooting exposed lead based bullets

Edited to try to fix the link, but I think Alan Meek posted it below

Edited by zhunter

Try this link....

Midway Hornady Bullets

I have used the 9mm 124gr Enc FMJ for my 9 Major and I like the way they shoot.

I will probably try the 45 gr FMJ Enc for my .45 next year.

Alan

Hey Allen...What does it take (powder) to make major PF with a 45 gr bullet? :D

Merlin

Stop derailing MY thread :angry2:

But, NOW that the question has been asked, Come on Alan, spill the beans, what happened????? :unsure:

The original link worked fine for me.

At $120/1000 for RN , even today, that is a bit pricey

I don't disagree

So, what options are there for a non-exposed lead jacketed bullet? I am ONLY interested in JACKETED bullets

I don't disagree

So, what options are there for a non-exposed lead jacketed bullet? I am ONLY interested in JACKETED bullets

Zero's , their 230 JHP are $114 (including shipping) from ghostholser.com , and maybe Montana Gold - don't know what they are right now.

But for jacketed RN I don't have an option off hand.

I don't disagree

Zero's , their 230 JHP are $114 (including shipping) from ghostholser.com , and maybe Montana Gold - don't know what they are right now.

But for jacketed RN I don't have an option off hand.

AH, this is the root of the problem, MG's are $133 per 1000

My gun does not like Zero's

Hence, I am looking.

Try this link....

Midway Hornady Bullets

I have used the 9mm 124gr Enc FMJ for my 9 Major and I like the way they shoot.

I will probably try the 45 gr FMJ Enc for my .45 next year.

Alan

Hey Allen...What does it take (powder) to make major PF with a 45 gr bullet? :D

Well now that the cat is out of the bag....

It is a special blend known only to those that have the secret squirel handshake and codeword. :ph34r:

At 3700fpw is not a load that the faint of heart should try and it is definitely only for the real men that shoot singlestack and women, children and sissies would best be served by something available in the Wally world whitebox genre. :cheers:

Alan

ps I fixed the typo, so what is wrong did everyone get too many procedurals at their matches this last weekend :blink:

i've had some experience with these bullets, and use them with my compensated 45 and in general. they are fine bullets, and provide good accuracy.

i tested several 230 FMJ RN bullets (Hormady, Remington, Sierra, Ranier (plated), Montana Gold, Winchester) and 230 FMJ FN (Hornady, Nosler) for accuracy from a 5 inch Kart Barrel in an accurized gun, 10 shot groups via a Ranson Rest, at 25 yards, loaded with 5.2g of Winchester 231, seating depth 1.250 for RN; 1.225 for FN.

the results: Remington took the prize with an average of 1.63 inch groups. Sierra placed second with 1.67 inch average group size. Ranier and Winchester tied for last place with 2.08 inch groups. Note that there is a mere 0.45 inch difference between best and worst, which could mean that they can all perform well, or that specific Kart barrel likes them all, or that gunpowder/primer combo works well, etc.

Round 2: shootoff between Remington and Sierra. This time Sierra wins the prize with a mean group size of 1.54 inches, Remington had 1.67 inch group average. Conclusion: both bullets shoot consistenly well.

okay, that was a bit off track. sorry. The Hornady bullets RN & FN were in the middle of those numbers, not the best, not the worst. I use them exclusively in my comped gun because they are fully encapsulated. that gun likes them too but i haven't tested it for accuracy.

hope this was somewhat useful.

• 2 weeks later...

You can find Rainiers even cheaper than Cabelas. I get mine from Midway, and if you get the 2K box it IS free shipping.

I know allot of folks don't like Rainiers because they are only mildly plated, instead of being jacketed like most other bullets .... but their website tells you to use load-book data for lead bullets instead of jacketed because their plating is softer than a traditional jacket. And if you ask around I think you'll find that most people believe that lead SWC are more accurate than any other bullet available, they just dont like handling all that lead.

So my choice is clear ..... cheaper than jacketed bullets, and no exposed lead. :) I like it.

I hate it when someone makes you guess at the subject of the question until you review the thread...and then click a link...and then the link is bad.... <_<

yeah.... Get him Merlin!! :cheers:

Make him read this from the forum guidelines:

Thread Titles

When starting a new thread, please use descriptive words in the thread’s Title and Description. For example: Use –

"Failure To Extract" (Title)

"In .40 cal Single Stack" (Description)

Instead of –

"Has anyone seen this?" (Title)

(though I am impressed when ZH gets the thread started in the right forum)

:devil::goof::lol:

Jay, I don't know if you're heck-bent on shooting 230s or if Derek told you to stick with RNs... but...

My Les Baer had a terrible time with feeding. I finally got a nice comfortable load with WST powder and 200gr Hornady TMJ/CT bullets. Extremely accurate, reliable and soft shooting (like really soft for a girlie 'n all)...

Not sure if you're interested... but here's a link to them. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

In any event... Hornady bullets were great for me. I really liked and would definitely recommend them.

Sharyn

I do like the 230 grain bullets. Just the nice soft push makes recoil and splits easiest for me. But.....

Nothing is written in stone. My MC .45 seems to feed the Hornady 230's well, now I just need to see if they are accurate this weekend.

I will post results on Sunday.

Thanks Sharyn.