Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Afterburners in the early morning twilight

North

Hello everyone,

I just had to share this. The Runway here is right behind where I work. From the back door it is maybe 200 yards to the runway with a clear view.

While I was walking to work in the 0530 twilight I see a B1 Bomber taking off with full afterburner going. If you have not seen this imagine your cutting torch, except that the nozzle is something like 10 feet wide. The flames coming out the back of this thing must have been shooting out 50 feet or better. The noise so loud it actually shakes you.

I just stopped and watched. A few seconds latter all it was were two burning dots on the horizon. Over here you know it isn't a training mission, you know it was on its way to help out the guys on the ground.

Just an awe inspiring sight.

If you click this link it will show you what the view from my back door looks like, and the summary of the Nov 6, sorties. Somehow this doesn't make the news back home.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123075004

Edited by North

Thanks for serving.

Glad you got to see such an impressive sight. Glad those planes are in the air supporting our soldiers.

As Thanksgiving rapidly approaches I Thank You, and all the soldiers out there (past, present and future) for what you do!

J

Thanks for serving.

Glad you got to see such an impressive sight. Glad those planes are in the air supporting our soldiers.

As Thanksgiving rapidly approaches I Thank You, and all the soldiers out there (past, present and future) for what you do!

J

+100000000000 for j1b's comments and thank you all for your service to our country.

...it is the sound of freedom.

That's way too dramatic for me. We're just happy that lately it's only the Navy flyin'. Freakin' A-4's are LOUD though. Only problem now though is that there are MORE USAF personnel walking around doing nothing. Heck, as far as we can tell, during their 4 months away from home (we're gone for 12) they spend their time walking around in PT's. ;)

Rich

A long time ago I had to sleep in 40's vintage barracks on the Northside of NAS Memphis about 100 yards away from the runway. We would get 2 bird formation takeoffs of F-4s in the nightime. 4 J-79s at full A/B had a unique way of saying goodby.

...it is the sound of freedom.

That's way too dramatic for me. We're just happy that lately it's only the Navy flyin'. Freakin' A-4's are LOUD though. Only problem now though is that there are MORE USAF personnel walking around doing nothing. Heck, as far as we can tell, during their 4 months away from home (we're gone for 12) they spend their time walking around in PT's. ;)

Rich

Rich,

Glad to see you're almost a short timer! Who's flying A-4s over there? I didn't think anybody had them left in their active inventory other than the TA-4s the Navy uses. Just be happy they're not EA-6B Prowlers...they make you think you're head is going to split in half when they're close...d'oh.

Rich , I have a friend of a friend that flies full time for the National Guard , someday I hope to catch a ride on a Blackhawk, oh and I hate the reason you gotta fly too, stay safe out there in indian country. :cheers:

Scott

Way back when, I was stationed at an AF base that had a SR-71. I worked the flightline back then. You ain't seen an afterburner take-off till you seen them lite that candle.

Could do without the AF jokes too, BTW. I lost three co-workers to an IED at BAF last week. Buried one today. Their primary job was to take SA's off the streets, so fliers don't get one while in the air, and ID insurgents for targeting. CI is almost totally AF in country. Been there, did that.

SA Friday, Sorry to hear about your co-workers. Yours is probably an even more tight-knit community than ours. Been sending a whole passle of our own Airmen out there to help you guys. We'll have your backs as much as we can.

L

SA Friday, Sorry to hear about your co-workers. Yours is probably an even more tight-knit community than ours. Been sending a whole passle of our own Airmen out there to help you guys. We'll have your backs as much as we can.

L

Thanks Liota. Biggest thing is making sure the info is getting to the operators and drivers. If they don't get it, it can't save them. We'll just keep collecting it on our end.

Sorry for the thread drift ya'll.

That must have been a neat sight to see for sure. In '91, I lived in a tent city at the end of the runway at Incirlik AB waiting on a ride back to Germany. 24/7 jet traffic that close can be a tad annoying when you feel your innards moving when you're trying to sleep. We knew they were doing what needed to be done, so the grumbling was all good natured. Thanks for taking the time to share this with the rest of us!

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...videoid=1672102

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...videoid=1828608

This is from Iraq a little over a year ago. We worked at the end of the runway at the Balad air base. F16's took off every 45 min along w/ C5's and C17's

Edited by stingerjg