Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Junior program

rtr

There has been discussion in our section (eastern colorado) recently of starting a formal junior program. Right now we have very few junior shooters who regularly shoot in the section.

From those who have successful junior programs I'm just curious what path you advise a section take? Ie how and where to recruit juniors? What should we provide for them, instruction, gear, guns, free/cheaper matches, etc.

Anyone have an email address for Mike McCarter?

I'm just throwing this out there.....

IMO to go after juniors you also need to go after women. When you get Mom to come out and shoot with Dad, it seems to open the door for the kids to follow. That's what happened at our house.

IMO the future of the sport is not in getting juniors to shoot....IMO the future of our sport is to get FAMILIES to shoot.

Everyone benefits when the family shoots. It increases EVERYONE'S revenue. Think about that....USPSA memberships, increase in revenue for local clubs, gun manufacturers, ammo suppliers, equipment suppliers etc...

I'm surprised NO ONE has had the wisdom to promote and sponsor a FAMILY in this sport. To me the idea is a gold mine.

BTW...My family is available to promote if anyone is interested ;):lol:

Best of luck to you!

Jane,

You are absolutely correct. My wife does not shoot, however without her full support I would never have been able to have both of my sons and my daughter participate in USPSA and make the financial commitment for BJ to acheive his goals. If "Mom" thinks its OK, then the rest is easy. My 4 yr old grandaughter is already planning for the day she can shoot like her Uncle BJ.

I keep reading/hearing about Jr. Programs, but I don't have a good handle on what a Jr. Program should include other than welcoming Juniors to shoot at our matches. Could someone elaborate?

+1 to Calamity Jane - "IMO the future of our sport is to get FAMILIES to shoot"

Ditto on the family shooting comments, although my daughter started shooting USPSA 6 months before I started. It's great to watch her improve month after month. It is definitely a fun weekend to spend as a family. As to your question on what you can do, reduced or free match fees for junior shooters are certainly appreciated.

Sue

Psychologically it can be alot for kids who are of the typical age to begin shooting (~ 10 - 12 ? ). It's a big responsibility to shoot as safely as we do. Many kids havent developed the maturity needed for this sport at a pre-teen age. Many kids won't ever develop it (even through their teen-age years).

Some kids would rather spend time with their friends, or playing video games. And hope as you may that they may develop an intrest in shooting as they become teenagers ... and their intrest might instead switch to cars or girls (or both!). And there's the ever present stigma of whether guns are "just for boys" or not. I know of a female junior shooter who has had issues at school because she is "the girl that shoots with her dad". She actually asked her dad if she could take a break from shooting for a few months because a few of the boys at school had said they were a little scared of her (because she shoots) and wouldnt ask her out for that reason.

So while I believe in kids (juniors) shooting alongside the rest of us ..... I also think they should be allowed to be kids. They need to have the same oppurtunities as non-shooters. And who knows ... they may not show an intrest in shooting until they turn 20 or 25 but I would still consider that to be 'young blood' for the sport.

Assuming the kid has the proper discipline (both internal and external) to shoot and compete with complete safety, the best time to hook them is when they are 11 or 12, I think. Sam is now almost 15 and a freshman in high school, and with so many other things competing for his time and attention, his interest in shooting has waned a little. However, I don't push him too much, and I notice that when he chooses to shoot, he still has a really good time and shoots quite well (as the Summer Blast and Area 7 results clearly show). It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't shoot a whole lot over the next few years, but I'm fairly certain he'll keep his hand in it, and enjoy the shooting sports for a lifetime. Not sure that would happen if I tried to get him started now, in his mid-teens.

As to your question on what you can do, reduced or free match fees for junior shooters are certainly appreciated.

Absolutely. With the cost of equipment, ammo, and travel, it really does get expensive to "sponsor" a junior shooter. It would be really nice if every match organizer made sure that kids can shoot for free, or for a reduced price. Although the kid may not really notice, the sponsoring parents sure do!

With the cost of equipment, ammo, and travel, it really does get expensive to "sponsor" a junior shooter.

x2

It would be really nice if every match organizer made sure that kids can shoot for free, or for a reduced price. Although the kid may not really notice, the sponsoring parents sure do!

:bow:

In addition to the "Wives" we need to remember alot of kids are living with just moms. Many of these moms had dads that shot, who took her brothers shooting, but left her at home. Now she has sons who she wouldnt mind getting involved but has no idea where or how to start. I really dont think USPSA is the place for it. Watching a USPSA match can be pretty intimidating to a non shooter.

The place we need to start is with .22 rifles from fixed positions, basically something like NRA bulleseye 3 position shooting.

Much easier to control a new shooter, much less intimidating for the mom showing up to check it out. Much cheaper. If the "Youth Night" match uses the same range some of them will grow up or mature into pistols and USPSA type matches.

A decent size club should be able to provide free rifles and free ammo to those that dont have it or cant afford it. Heck most of us have beater .22's collecting dust in a safe we could loan. My club does something similar, and markets it as bring a 22 and ammo or just show up drop off kid and go.

Another place is Boy and Girl scouts.. I am currently overseas but my Stepdaughter shot .22s at girlscout camp and is now poring over Ruger 10/22 catalogs picking out the gun she thinks she's getting. (which she will).

I think the having Youth USPSA is like getting Richard Petty to teach drivers ed.

I dont think it's so bad that we need to try and interest kids in rifles, but the .22 idea isn't a bad one. Especially with the rising cost of factory ammunition ...... I mean even 9mm isn't exactly cheap anymore.

I wonder what it would take to get USPSA to sanction some sort of .22 division for juniors only ? That would certainly keep the cost to minimum (assuming free match fees as well). I think you could find plenty of .22 caliber pistols that would be highly competitive: Ruger, S&W, Barretta, maybe even some Glock or 1911 conversions would do alright.

Mike McCarter was sponsoring the Juniors for ammo (i think he still is partly) and it was about ~100 per match for i think 5 juniors.

I believe that Juniors are a very important part of this sport and hopefully more will get exposed to this sport to learn the Fundementals of gun handling/safety. I think creating a Junior program in Each Section would be a great achievement for getting more juniors out shooting, especially with other fellow juniors. Starting a Junior out young is nice but as long as they can follow the rules and can handle the gun safely. I have seen a couple juniors that have shot a match and it became apparent that they were not ready for a match without having the instinct to: Unload show clear, Having a sense of the 180, and Be able to hold the gun firmly. I believe the best age range for a junior to start shooting is around 14-16. I started when i was 16 and it was a ton of fun, I do wish i would've started earlier but my mind was too much into sport to give up my weekends to shooting.

I really wish it was easier for a club/section to get the status of "Non Profit" so more companies will lend out that hand to these fellow juniors but understand of the legal boundaries and liability if something goes wrong. These Juniors are the future of the sport and need that helping hand and I recommend getting to know the fellow juniors in your section and give them the support they need to be successful in this wonderful sport.

These Juniors are the future of the sport and need that helping hand and I recommend getting to know the fellow juniors in your section and give them the support they need to be successful in this wonderful sport.

You know, I hear that a lot, and we all nod wisely, but I'm not so sure that IS so.

Here's what I mean -- bring an new adult into the sport, and the chances are, if they fit the usual demographics, they'll have some leisure time to pursue the sport and disposable income to spend on guns, equipment, matches, etc. Plus he or she has been on the planet for 30/40/50+ years and has a network of friends, neighbors and family that might also be attracted to the sport.

I think the average age is what it is for a reason.

That said, I believe Junior and Seniors should definately qualify for match discounts, programs and special awards and programs for no reason more supportable than it's a nice thing to do. :)

I dont think it's so bad that we need to try and interest kids in rifles, but the .22 idea isn't a bad one. Especially with the rising cost of factory ammunition ...... I mean even 9mm isn't exactly cheap anymore.

I wonder what it would take to get USPSA to sanction some sort of .22 division for juniors only ? That would certainly keep the cost to minimum (assuming free match fees as well). I think you could find plenty of .22 caliber pistols that would be highly competitive: Ruger, S&W, Barretta, maybe even some Glock or 1911 conversions would do alright.

+1 on the .22 division - excellent idea!

I dont think having a kid running stages with a .22 pistol is gonna adress the issues of getting new shooters to USPSA, Pistols would be ok but I still think if clubs are interested in getting new shooters involved it needs to be some kinda youth only fixed firing line fixed target event. Are we looking at recruiting shooters in general or specifically to USPSA ? If USPSA then I agree with boo radley, go after the adult with transportation, money and allready owning basic equipment, That's how I got started, someone saw me at a public range shooting a Hipower and invited me to come check out an IDPA match, until that time It had never occured to me to try competitive shooting. My question, how many USPSA shooters are there that were introduced to the sport by a stranger ? I think finding the recreational shooters that dont have friends or relatives allready involved in the sport is the most productive market.