Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unexpected Houseguest

Micah

That's good stuff, Micah. That karma will come back to you and your wife ;)

Thanks guys. The school levy is on the ballot today. If it passes, my wife will have a job for at least 4 more years. If it fails...we will live through it and find her a new job. I am a firm believer in karma...humanity is the one thing that binds us together.

Never had a chance to meet the owners...I just dropped off Samson to the Humane Society, filled out a little paperwork, and gave him a hug one last time.

Haven't cried like that since racerba kicked the $hit outa me at the PA Sectional ;)

**sigh** One thing is for damn sure...I'm gonna love the hell outa my two boys tonight when I get home!

People who abandon dogs suck and I can't think of a punishment that's equal to the crime. I could never, ever be an animal cop....

That brings up an interesting hypothesis that I ran a study on during my senior year:

A vast majority of people feel more anxiety over seeing dogs and cats being injured than a human. My data showed significants in this using movie clips showing both types of violence to my subjects. The reasoning behind it is that we see an infinitely larger amount of human violence in the media (news, movies, television) but it is less commonplace to see said violence acted out on animals in the pet category. We simply are not desensitized to that type of visual and auditory input.

Actually it is because animals can not mentally comprehend the reason for the violence being done to them so it is far more cruel. It's also because we have a responsibility to safeguard helpless animals since we are the top of the food chain.

It is a sad commentary that there are more organizations decicated to welfare of animals than humans.... and that some people have such an easy time of rationalizing away the fact we (even in such a wealthy society) give the middle finger to such a large segment of the country's population. I think for these types of people they are able to rationalize their cruelty toward humans because they can claim that humans have the capability to "better their lot in life" and therefore, do not deserve any special consideration from social programs aimed at helping them.... unlike animals.

People who abandon dogs suck and I can't think of a punishment that's equal to the crime. I could never, ever be an animal cop....

That brings up an interesting hypothesis that I ran a study on during my senior year:

A vast majority of people feel more anxiety over seeing dogs and cats being injured than a human. My data showed significants in this using movie clips showing both types of violence to my subjects. The reasoning behind it is that we see an infinitely larger amount of human violence in the media (news, movies, television) but it is less commonplace to see said violence acted out on animals in the pet category. We simply are not desensitized to that type of visual and auditory input.

Urg...so spending the night on the couch with Samson wasn't too bad...he slept like an angel laying right next to me.

Alternate theory. When was the last time you got screwed over by a dog or cat vs. a person?

Well, I just got a call from my vet, who works closely with the Humane Society in the area where Samson was found...

...apparently this little guy has been missing from his family for a few days now. I'm heading back to Wilmington in 30 minutes or so to reunite him with his real family.

Mixed emotions on this one folks...mixed emotions.

Gonna miss the noisy little bastard.

When I worked the Katrina pet evacuation I witnessed a few reunions of pets with their family. The intense emotions got to every one of us at some time and we had go off to a corner, cry our eyes out, dry off. then get back to work as there were another 100 or so animals coming on the next truck.
Haven't cried like that since racerba kicked the $hit outa me at the PA Sectional
Just proves your human and your heart is in the right place. Ya done good.

You done good, PB. :cheers:

My dog wears a collar that he has managed to get out of whenever his tags drop between the slats of my deck. It was a safety thing to keep him from strangling himself. A dog can lose a collar any number of ways, the reunion for the owners, if they truely care for the dog is something they would never be able to repay you for.

Trapr

PB and Hank and the rest of you who have taken care of the less fortunate ones,

you're all one of the good ones. If I ever get a chance to meet ya guys, I'll buy you a beer.

Edited by yoshidaex

Well PB, after reading this and your other post about your wife's job security, it really drives home the point of KARMA. It may be soon or much later in life that it comes around, but it WILL come back around. How you decide to live your life is in your hands (not trying to single you out, just in general), but all things come back to you, good and bad.

It makes me proud to say that I know you and the way that you carry on in life. Hopefully we can share a beverage or a meal next time your in GA. :cheers:

PB and Hank and the rest of you who have taken care of the less fortunate ones,

you're all one of the good ones. If I ever get a chance to meet ya guys, I'll buy you a beer.

That makes 2 of us! :cheers:

I rescued a puppy this past March that I found on the street one Sunday morning on my way to work.

The poor thing was so bad with mange that I though someone had poured acid on her. It tore my heart to pieces.

I took her to the pound the following day and they took her in. They weren't sure whether she would make it.

I kept tabs on her for the next couple of days and visited once. On the fourth day she was picked up by a no-kill shelter and they were able to bring her back to good health and she was adopted. We have 2 dogs and both came from no-kill shelters.

Roy, our first dog came from the very same shelter!

A couple months later one of the ladies from the pound called and told me to pick up a copy of the local weekly independent as Sparkle was featured.

It is always hard to see an animal that is abandoned. I don't understand why people do it. My mom has a a dog that was abandoned at about 18 months. She is one of the best dogs ever. My mom has had her for a few years and she is still a little skittish because of it. People get cute little puppies/kittens that grow into dogs/cats and they turn then out when they aren't cute anymore. I wish the people were made of brown cardboard that do things like that. The best animals are "used". I went to the pound when I was in college and picked up a cat the is one of the best cats I have ever been around but an a-hole abandoned him when he wasn't a cute little kitten anymore.

As some of you know my wife and I volunteer for a cat rescue organization. Since we don't have a shelter yet we place our adoptees in foster homes. So our house is a revolving door of fosters. As cats and kittens get adopted, we take in a new batch. Totally POs our cats as the whole pecking order thing starts over.

Anyhow, we always keep a bowl of food outside for our Maine Coons who rarely come inside as they would rather stay out, hunt, and leave squirrel and bird parts at the back door. One night we happened to see a big old grey tabby munching at the community bowl. Hmmm. Not ours but probably one of the neighbors. A few days later that grey tabby hasn't left. Checked in the 'hood and nobody is missing a cat but some people down the street just moved. OK, an abandoned animal. Got him in the system and spent a couple weeks getting him adjusted to his new surroundings. While this is going on the grey tabby we named Titan cause he was huge and one of our cats was cruising the hood one night. I was taking out the garbage and here comes the two of them with an adult black male in tow. I swear that they looked back with the attitude, "See, I told ya this is where the chow is. And they give belly rubs too." Well the black male ended up sticking around. Nope, nobody is missing a cat and it just so happens that another family moved out on the other end the street. Crap, another abandoned animal. What the hell, whats one more. Got him in the system. We named him Fang as at night that is all you could see, his fangs.

Titan set a record for the quickest adoption. 15 minutes. I was getting him settled on adoption day and still filling out his paperwork when an African-American (this is important) family came by. I met the gentleman and asked if he was looking to adopt. "Yes, my wife wants a cat and were going to take one home. Just have to decide which one." Meanwhile Titan was sticking paw through the cage trying to get at the gentleman. He asked, "What's this guys personality?" 'Well, if you have a spare recliner and a 6-pack he'll watch the game with you. He's a lap cat and basically just a bubba." A few minutes later the gentleman in an exercise in gentle manipulation convinced his wife that 'her' cat should be Titan. They filled out the paperwork and took him to his forever home. Oh, and they named him Fat Albert. Gotta love it.

Fang was adopted by a young woman. Got a call from her a couple months after the adoption and that cat is the love of her life.

Been doing this gig for about 6 years. It has it's moments where we ask ourselves why we do this but something inside us tells us we must do this. Funny, but one of the biggest hurdles is what to name the litters. I named one after a Star Trek TNG theme. Our current litter is named after a Shermans Lagoon cartoon theme. I'm threatening to name a litter with Klingon names if I don't get some ideas. Volunteering is a hoot. Check with your local animal rescue organization and see what you can do. What you give is returned multiple times over.