Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smaller Gripped LTD/Open Frames

Mark K

I am a newbie, but decided to post here to ask experienced open and Limited shooters:

I am lucky enough to have a USPSA shooting friend with has a decent sized pistol collection, and he has been letting me shoot several of his Limited guns, so that I can get a feel for other guns, so that when I decide to get my own limited or open gun, I will have a better idea what I want for features, etc, and probably have one built. Thus far, I have only shot 1911/2011 based guns. I currently own and shoot a Para Ord 18.9 LDA LTD that I like for production class.

As I move down this path, one of my issues is that I have somewhat smaller hands, and when I get a good grip on a 2011 based pistol in line with my forearm, and thumb on the safety, I have a problem with getting my trigger finger properly on the trigger w/o it laying along the side of the frame. If I get the trigger finger in a good position, the pistol is off-line of my forearm. This was the case even with my friend's SVI that was pretty slimmed down.

While this does not necessarily preclude a 2011 based gun for me in my future, I am asking what guns have smaller frames/grips that are regularly built in to good Limited/Open guns? EAA/CZ? Others?

Thanks All

Mark

Edited by Mark K

A good grip reduction on a 2011 works wonders. I too have small hands and had problems with this exact same situation. I wear a mens small cadet golf glove if that helps at all. I started with a grip from APS (Jim Shanahan) and it was a lot better, worlds better really. Tommy Roupe has a really nice grip reduction too. Jim went to Afghanistan to do his part and God bless him for that, but there weren't any other sources for grip work that I wanted to use. I started working grips on my own and I have a grip now that isn't weakened at all, and I can reach the trigger without touching the frame. It can be done, and the 2011 is an incredibly adaptable platform. Jim will be home soon and Tommy is still working grips so if you can hold out a bit there will be a couple sources of help to talk to so you can see what makes the most sense for you. I do custom grips but only on guns I build at this time. Jim and Tommy are the guys I would send you to, both do really nice work and I have used both on my own guns.

Does Tommy have a website? I have been looking at a smaller framed 2011.

Do they do full STI work, or do I need to buy one that is other wise made up the way I want and send the grip to either one of them?

I have been looking at a Bedell Spitfire because they seem to be the only one I could find with some sort of grip work done.

A good grip reduction on a 2011 works wonders. I too have small hands and had problems with this exact same situation. I wear a mens small cadet golf glove if that helps at all. I started with a grip from APS (Jim Shanahan) and it was a lot better, worlds better really. Tommy Roupe has a really nice grip reduction too. Jim went to Afghanistan to do his part and God bless him for that, but there weren't any other sources for grip work that I wanted to use. I started working grips on my own and I have a grip now that isn't weakened at all, and I can reach the trigger without touching the frame. It can be done, and the 2011 is an incredibly adaptable platform. Jim will be home soon and Tommy is still working grips so if you can hold out a bit there will be a couple sources of help to talk to so you can see what makes the most sense for you. I do custom grips but only on guns I build at this time. Jim and Tommy are the guys I would send you to, both do really nice work and I have used both on my own guns.

Howard, once again I agree with you. I have used Tommy's grips for several years and they do make a difference in the feel of the gun. I also like that with his grip I dont need progrip or any other stuff such as it.(1 less thing to carry around.) Tommy is good to work with and turns product around quickly. I have not used Jims grips but know those who do and they are also happy. I stay with Tommys grips because he is who I started with and I have gotten used to the feel of the gun with his grip and dont want to try anything different. If I do change to anything else it will be the grip a friend of mine is doing like the SV (scott) grip. I have been impressed with feel of it and after a grip reduction and then the application of that material it is about the same as the others.

Agree with everything posted so far. Two thoughts. One, if you're reasonably handy with tools, doing a grip reduction is pretty easy. You sand it down (can use files, sanders, Dremel tool with sanding wheels etc) until it feels "just right" in your hand, then use a soldering iron with either a round tip to dimple the surface or a thin tip to put grooves in it. The other option is to add a mixture of epoxy and an abrasive like sandblasting media, which will give a secure grip, but adds a little thickness.

Two, put the SV trigger in it that allows you to use different inserts and get the short flat or short curved insert. If you do those two things, you would have to have really, really small hands to have a problem. R,

Does Tommy have a website? I have been looking at a smaller framed 2011.

Do they do full STI work, or do I need to buy one that is other wise made up the way I want and send the grip to either one of them?

I have been looking at a Bedell Spitfire because they seem to be the only one I could find with some sort of grip work done.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/THR.htm