Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana gold VS. Precision Delta

steel1212

When most people are trying to go cheaper here I am going from moly to jacketed. Anyway, I'm trying to get away from the smoke issue as I climb to the top. It distracts me from my shooting. Please don't post have you tried this or this cause I have in relation to the smoke, thanks for trying though :lol:

I'm looking for 9mm and .40 bullets. I would prefer 147 9s and 180 40s. I was looking at the precision deltas for cost. In the 40s they are about the same if you buy the case of FMJ from Montana gold, pretty much same in 9mm.

Pros/Cons? Does the exposed base of the deltas smoke enough for me to worry about? Are the MG FMJ exposed base? Do I just suck it up and buy some to find out?

Edited by steel1212

I've shot the PD 180FMJ (with exposed lead base) and they smoke a little bit with N320, but it's not enough to bother me. I don't notice it at all outside...just a little at the indoor range. I just got some MG 180 FMJs and they do have an exposed lead base as well. I shot a couple hundred outside yesterday and there wasn't any noticable smoke...not sure if I'll notice any more indoors, but I'm guessing it'll be like the PD's....very minor.

I've used both and both are great bullets. Minor smoke with either using TiteGroup but nothing compared to lead. I personally like the hardness of the Montana bullets to help feeding without any chance of distortion. Still either bullet will accomplish whatever you need them to do.

I have used both with Universal Clays and TG. They did not seem to smoke at all to me. If had to choose, I would pick MG because of the bullet profile seems to be better for feeding, at least to me it does.

I have been using precision delta for most of my shooting..180 .40 cal. They are good bullets but they run a good 20 -25 feet per second slower then a 180 JHP Zero bullet with the same load. For some reason they are significantly slower though they are the same width as the zero. Other than the need to use more powder to make Major and a little bit of smoke (exposed lead base) they are a great bullet.

I have used both and the Prec. Deltas do smoke.

I didn't notice it too much when shooting.

However, when going back and watching my stages on video, I was surprised how much smoke it was making.

It's really not a function of who makes the bullet.

If it has exposed lead on the base it will smoke.

The only solution is a totally enclosed bullet with a jacketed base (or a hollow point).

Montana Gold makes round nosed totally enclosed and hollow points.

Last time I checked they also had bullets with lead exposed base.

It just depends on the specific bullet ordered.

I have adopted jacketed base bullets even though they tend to cost a little more.

As shooters we all have to be careful about lead exposure.

I don't want to make a bad situation worse by breathing in that smoke.

Tony

The only solution is a totally enclosed bullet with a jacketed base (or a hollow point).

Agree. Unless the manufacturer is coating the lead base with something (which is doubtful), they will smoke and they'll probably smoke about the same.

I have used both and the Prec. Deltas do smoke.

I didn't notice it too much when shooting.

However, when going back and watching my stages on video, I was surprised how much smoke it was making.

Montana Gold makes round nosed totally enclosed and hollow points.

Last time I checked they also had bullets with lead exposed base.

It just depends on the specific bullet ordered.

I have adopted jacketed base bullets even though they tend to cost a little more.

As shooters we all have to be careful about lead exposure.

I don't want to make a bad situation worse by breathing in that smoke.

Tony

FMJ MG have exposed lead as well... CMJ do not. I've been shooting MG CMJs but just switched to PD FMJs... I guess I'll eat a little smoke for the dif in price. Shooting 115s that is .01 cent cheaper per bullet. That doesn't sound like much until you buy 6k or so and save $60 if you buy 10k you get another break and it's about a .02 cent savings. That's $200 on 10k! so long Zero and MG.... on my budget I'll be shooting PDs

Edited by JThompson

So basically I'm looking at CMJs or JHPs. Zeros would be an option if you could find them but basically it looks like the only game in town is Montana Gold or a sale on something like hornaday or the other big bullet manufacturers.

So basically I'm looking at CMJs or JHPs. Zeros would be an option if you could find them but basically it looks like the only game in town is Montana Gold or a sale on something like hornaday or the other big bullet manufacturers.

That's pretty much it... unless you are willing to see a little smoke. Thing is, I've shot them before and I didn't notice, much dif in smoke. I did however, notice that my comp was getting more lead build up. That means I had to dig the lead out once every 10K or so. I didn't make a production out of it... I just masked up and got the Drem out with a round bit on the end. You ain't going to do much damage to a Titanium comp with tool steel if you're careful. The barrel never really did get clogged up with lead. I kept a box or two of MGs around and shot 30-40 rounds through it no and again and it cleaned any deposits out slick as snot. ;)

Edited by JThompson

Have you tried the Armscor 180 fmj, they have an exposed lead base but using N320 or X700 I have very little smoke and they are really accurate. Right now they run about 8.5 cents a bullet compared to MG or Zero being 10.5 cents each. Just my 2 cents.

Have you tried the Armscor 180 fmj, they have an exposed lead base but using N320 or X700 I have very little smoke and they are really accurate. Right now they run about 8.5 cents a bullet compared to MG or Zero being 10.5 cents each. Just my 2 cents.

I emailed him about his bullets. His reply was that they are 81.95 + shipping and CC frees per K. So I asked how much shipping was he said 10 per K. I then asked if he would put 2k in a flat rate box like everybody else to save 10 bucks and he said NOPE. Its his buisness and he can do what he wants but I won't buy them. Anyway in the end its about 95$ per K shipped with fees I would say and that is just close enough to the Deltas in my opinion that includes shipping and fees.

I like the Precision Delta bullets and I haven't found them to have effect on my shooting if they did smoke a little with titegroup, Also i make major with 4.2 of titegroup, doesn't seem like a lot of powder.

I will most likely go with the Montana gold JHP's 180 .40 since it is a few dollars more and most of my fellow shooters have been using them and haven't found many that have been shooting PD's JHP.

Montana Gold all the way given the choices you have outlined. It is a more consistent and more accurate bullet. Zero are very good too.

Really, as much as we moan about bullet prices it is a small part of the overall money we spend to do this. We spend THOUSANDS on the best/coolest/latest gun, magazines and gear. We spend match entries, travel expenses, and on and on. Then we buy the cheapest bullet we can find? We expect our multi-thousand dollar guns to perform as well as possible with the cheapest bullets we can find? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Like putting E85 in a race car.....

Practice bullets? Sure, save some money if you can while getting a QUALITY product. Dry fire more too, but don't go cheap on match supplies.

Montana Gold all the way given the choices you have outlined. It is a more consistent and more accurate bullet. Zero are very good too.

Really, as much as we moan about bullet prices it is a small part of the overall money we spend to do this. We spend THOUSANDS on the best/coolest/latest gun, magazines and gear. We spend match entries, travel expenses, and on and on. Then we buy the cheapest bullet we can find? We expect our multi-thousand dollar guns to perform as well as possible with the cheapest bullets we can find? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Like putting E85 in a race car.....

Practice bullets? Sure, save some money if you can while getting a QUALITY product. Dry fire more too, but don't go cheap on match supplies.

I will agree completely with H on this. I have been shooting MG's for 8 yrs and while they have gone up they are still the best bullet out there for the money. Yes the zero's are very good also. Every time I have tried to find aa less expensive alternate, I have been dissapointed. I sometimes get 1k of some company's bullets to try but again I come back to MG. We even tried out some Rainier plated bullets in the limited guns last year looking for a price break only to find out they like to tumble, so be carefull, and when you practice, make everyshot count. I also feel the same way about Federal primers.

use to use pd with titegroup and they smoked, I am sure the mg fmj will do the same, if you want the least amount of smoke go with the cmj from montana gold, zero, any other bullet company with and enclosed back, except for plated.

Could you expand on why you don't like plated? (Rainer for example, or Speer)

Thanks.

Para .40 / Glock 34 & 35 / CZ SP-01 in 9 mm

I usually only get to practice on sat mornings if I can live fire and have been using up my plated extreames and it seems the new gun doesn't mind that the para didn't like them. I'm not going to win a bullseye match with them but they work. I'm definetely going to start shooting jacketed for all my matches and probably some kind of plated for practice.

As usual Howard your right on the money as far as expense. When it comes to competition I want the best, demand the best, so I can perform my best...anything else isn't acceptable!