Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Barrel

outerlimits

now that i've written off ever seeing my old barrel, i was looking at a new JP ultrlight. john's site sez something about the barrels being manufactured to fit their specific uppers. so, anyone put one of his barrels on non-jp uppers? if so, any issues?

Butch,

First sorry about the shitty deal you experienced I had the same problem with a well regarded institution and it soured me.

JP's barrels should go on any quality upper. Probably want to check headspace if you are using your old bolt, but other than that it should work great.

The JP's are great barrels, but if you are looking to save a couple of scheckels you might either look at a Rock River Barrel or a DPMS barrel and have Benny turn it down to the profile you want??? just another option.

Good luck, Craig

Butch,

First sorry about the shitty deal you experienced I had the same problem with a well regarded institution and it soured me.

JP's barrels should go on any quality upper. Probably want to check headspace if you are using your old bolt, but other than that it should work great.

The JP's are great barrels, but if you are looking to save a couple of scheckels you might either look at a Rock River Barrel or a DPMS barrel and have Benny turn it down to the profile you want??? just another option.

Good luck, Craig

thanx craig-

i have a dpms upper that's only about 1 yr old. i'd ask benny, but he's got a ton of work and i need a barrel real fast.

I ran an ultra-light JP barrel for a couple of years and it was very accurate, but I noticed a tendency for it to wander when it heated up. The ultra-light is really that! If I remember correctly, it's .500 under the handguards. I've come to the conclusion that that's a little too thin.

I remember having issues with long-range steel at several matches, so I did a test. I attempted to mimick a stage environment where you had multiple close up targets to engage, then you had to settle down and make some long-range precision shots. At the range I fired two 5-shot groups for accuracy at 200 yards with a cold bore. When done, I ran a 30 round magazine on some steel and heated up the rifle. Afterwards I tried some more 5-shot accuracy groups. Not only did my zero shift, but my groups open up by about 30%. This confirmed for me that this particular barrel setup was not going to work for me. I built a new upper with a slightly thicker barrel. I repeated the test and the new barrel contour did not have any issues.

Okay disclaimer time. Before everyone warms up their flamethrowers, this was my experience. Not all may have the same issues as I. This was not an issue with the quality of JP barrels. This barrel was quite accurate and I know of many other JP barrels that are wonderfully accurate, I would not hesistate to use them. My issue seemed to be more with the contour of the barrel, not the quality of the barrel.

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

That was my thinking as well. The barrel profile is too thin and if I remember correctly, John Paul (JP) does not recommend the ultra-light for heavy 3-gun use.

well chris, i guess i could get the med version, at a cost of what, 16 oz? yer the rifle guy, so that what u suggest? i want light, but i want accuracy...

Well let,s see, the "Busy Bee" said it shifted, but no value of that shift, but groups grew by 30% now most J.P. barrels shoot about 3/4 MOA, some better, but most are right around there, so that would be an increase of 1.5 inches at 300 yards, so assuming a 10" target at 300 we are still WELL inside it's diameter, now if it walked 2 MOA hot it would still hit right at the edge of a plate at 300 yards with 25% of the shots missing off the side. Now unless that thang shuffled off to Buffalo he should still have had 75% of his shots hit even with this extream shift. Ain't sayin it ain't true just triing to put it in perspective and I do know he is mighty handy with a carbine, but a 2 MOA shift would be extream even for a barrel hogged down by .030 at a time chucked into a head stock and water quenched when it glowed! Now a lot of matches have been won by a 2 MOA rifle so I am wondering...or wandering...it must be the heat :lol:

Disclaimer: Mr. Lund is an amigo and I :wub: to devil the heckl out of him, so take the above for what it is worth! KURTM

JP no longer makes the .500" contour. They went to a .650" contour for the ultra light barrels.

The .50 contour was, IMHO very good....very fast....very accurate. I too noticed my groups open up from .5MOA to .75MOA after the barrel heated up. Thats about 50% increase......but still at 200yards my groups held at just over 1.5" if I read the wind right. (compared to 1").

Keep in mind, that was done off of a machine rest.....5 shot groups....10 group ave.

I think he still has some of the .500" contours in stock, but all new ones are .650"

Once again Kurt.....you are correct!!! Percentage does'nt always tell the story.