Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 fail safe rod and powder bar

askomiko

I just unpacked my 550 and bolted it to my desk. I wish I had a video camera, but I don't, so I'll try to explain... Here's a picture, the circled parts hit each other and bind the bar movement while moving the handle up, leaving the powder bar not fully closed.

bind.jpg

It will close If I tighten the failsafe rod more, but then the powder bar kind slams shut after the force is great enough to overcome the binding. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

I just unpacked my 550 and bolted it to my desk. I wish I had a video camera, but I don't, so I'll try to explain... Here's a picture, the circled parts hit each other and bind the bar movement while moving the handle up, leaving the powder bar not fully closed.

bind.jpg

It will close If I tighten the failsafe rod more, but then the powder bar kind slams shut after the force is great enough to overcome the binding. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

No. Mine just clears, but doesn't bind. Call Dillon and speak to them about it.

bind.jpg

No. Mine just clears, but doesn't bind. Call Dillon and speak to them about it.

No sounds like the cam bolt to tight

Thanks for the super quick replies!

Here's a picture:

bind2.jpg

Edit: Well, I just lightly touched it with a file, and now it doesn't bind.

E2: Arrgh, random powder spills all over the desk. Blood pressure rising.

Edited by askomiko

Be sure the blue wing nut at the bottom of the failsafe return linkage is tight enough. Push forward on the handle, as if seating a primer.

The coil spring above the blue wing nut should be partially compressed when you do so. IT is normal for the lock-link to catch on the frame

of the powder measure, then slide down and pull the powder bar back at the end of the upstroke of the handle. :ph34r:

Thanks for the super quick replies!

Here's a picture:

bind2.jpg

Edit: Well, I just lightly touched it with a file, and now it doesn't bind.

E2: Arrgh, random powder spills all over the desk. Blood pressure rising.

What I, and others, have done is straighten out the end of part 17838 in your photo. Just use a vise and pliers and straighten it out between the 2 score lines so it does not "whack" each time. I then added 2 powder bar return springs that I got from Dillon and now it operates smooth as silk. No more whack whack! :D

It constantly amazes me that people must fix things that aren't broke. Let the powder measure thump away, it is the sound of fresh ammo. In a few thousand rounds you won't notice it. :rolleyes:

It constantly amazes me that people must fix things that aren't broke. Let the powder measure thump away, it is the sound of fresh ammo. In a few thousand rounds you won't notice it. :rolleyes:

:o +1 Why do they do that???? I love hearing that powder bar snap back. It tells me....I'm not buond up and I'm working right.

I like post #5 form the guy that goes by Dillon and says he spends his time looking for a covered parking spot in the Dillon parking lot. Hint.... It's supposed to work that way I think. ?????HMMM??? :wacko:

Never owning a dillon pre-failsafe bar... I like it. No reason to go back that I see. As long as there's powder in the hopper and the failsafe rod ain't broke, I know there's going to be powder in the case. I can't imagine dillon would put the effort into changing things unless they had customers who had experienced problems w/ the old setup.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" also applies to retrofiting perfectly good current systems, too, imo.

-rvb

Edited by rvb