Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which rifle for heavy metal?

steel1212

Hey I finally had an M1A not function 100%. Come to find out it was the magazine, one of my VERY old OM stamped mags cracked at the left rear feed lip, and would occasionally miss feed the round on the left! Replaced the mag and it has been great since...well the last 900 rounds or so. Eriks gun did surprise me in the fact I never saw it jam at SMM3G!

Hey Kurt now that you have me on the M1A "rifle wagon" let us just keep the M1A to ourselves. Let the J.C. Whitney's

work the AR 308 platform.

Tongue in cheek.

Patrick

Easy answer, DPMS 308, the Gamer Benny Hill tricks one out with lightened bolt carrier, muzzle brake etc and it is the heat

jc

I love mine. Much less recoil with the mods Benny did.... :cheers:

Quit is Benny!!!! You are making 308 too easy to shoot! Heavy metal will loose its mystique

Patrick

I bought an LR-308 tac-20 and put a titan comp and clark carbon fiber hand guard and those 2 mods makes a hell of a difference. It was very fun to shoot and didn't kick that much and I could keep up the 223 guys. Too bad 308 rounds don't grow on trees.

I am using a DPMS 308LR upper and lower that JP put together. Never had a problem with it. JP is now making their own .308 upper and lower receivers (in a complete gun) but it is, IMHO, very expensive. Before JP came out with their own receivers, they were recommending to use the DPMS upper and lower.

I got my upper receiver in today from Benny Hill. :rolleyes: See attached picture.

One of these days I will figure out how to shrink these damn things.

How long is that barrel and care to say what all was done?

Guys is a 20" or 24 inch barrel better in .308? I run a 20" NM aramalite in my .223 gun and like it but don't know much about the needed velocity lengths of the .308.

I got my upper receiver in today from Benny Hill. :rolleyes: See attached picture.

One of these days I will figure out how to shrink these damn things.

How long is that barrel and care to say what all was done?

Guys is a 20" or 24 inch barrel better in .308? I run a 20" NM aramalite in my .223 gun and like it but don't know much about the needed velocity lengths of the .308.

Benny shortened it down to 21.5 inchs, Benny told me me when you go under 21.5 you start to lose velocity more quickly. He cut down the barrel diameter added a Rolling Thunder Brake, you can still see the bottom of the original flutes from the stock DPMS barrel. Lightened the bolt carrier and installed a carbon fiber hand guard. It probably is about 2 pounds lighter and seems to handle well.

Had it out at the range for the first time this morning and I was impressed with the groups it was shooting with factory 168's and my own hand loaded Nosler 169's, Nosler 155's and 125 TNT's. Around an inch or less and I was not letting cool down much in between each 5 round string. The British surplus I had on hand grouped around 3 inchs and the Portugese at around 5 inchs. I fired about 9, 5 round groups in less than 45 minutes with no problems. Might group better if I let it cool down some, but I am not that patient.

You can go down to a 16.5" barrel and still make major quite easily, I had a FAL that would easily shoot 150's at major, with a carbine barrel. I have gone with a 20" simply for the sight radius, however my original plan was for an 18" barrel and it may still become that.

Having enough velocity is only a concern, regarding your trajectory. You want more so that it shoots flatter.

Trapr

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of things.

1 - Kurt, can you video you doing a M1A mag change? Just want to see if there's a better way that what I have in mind.

2 - Can someone recommend a good scope mount for a M1A? I'm finding a bunch of goofy ones that make it look like an after thought than an integrated piece of equipment.

3 - Lastly, what's the goin' rate on a 308 upper from Benny?

Thanks,

Rich

bigbrowndog!!!!!!

No vids of Kurt please! His secret of speed reloading the M1A is worth money!

No one rides for free!

If we want to know we ought to pay for it.

So how much for the tape?

Just trying to help you with the coming Christmas bills.

Patrick

Oh yea I know how he does it and I of course do it the same way.

bigbrowndog!!!!!!

No vids of Kurt please! His secret of speed reloading the M1A is worth money!

No one rides for free!

If we want to know we ought to pay for it.

So how much for the tape?

Just trying to help you with the coming Christmas bills.

Patrick

Oh yea I know how he does it and I of course do it the same way.

Hmmm....LOL! :devil:

No Trapr, no, no,no. I just got a M1A and you all need to spread the knowledge. That, and any other M1 tricks ya'll have floating around. These days I seem to be spending too much time over on the M-14 forum and not enough here.

BTW Merlin, I'm still a little tweaked at you for not carting my DPMS .308 back with you to Benny's shop... <_<

Couple of things.

1 - Kurt, can you video you doing a M1A mag change? Just want to see if there's a better way that what I have in mind.

2 - Can someone recommend a good scope mount for a M1A? I'm finding a bunch of goofy ones that make it look like an after thought than an integrated piece of equipment.

3 - Lastly, what's the goin' rate on a 308 upper from Benny?

Thanks,

Rich

Have a good smith build you one on a LRB M25 receiver. It is the only way to scope an M1A.

T