Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EHC Scoresheets

BDH

Following is an example of the scoresheet from my stage at the EHC. This is in response to questions about how we ran 900+ competitors in five days. On first examination it doesn't look much different than a scoresheet in the US, but let me point out how it helped us keep things moving....

EHC Scoresheet

Similarities: Of course all the standard Match, Stage, and in this case, Area Sponsor information. In addition, scoring boxes per target to record the A, C, D and Miss hits. Total hits, competitor time, competitor and RO signature blocks with date and time of day.

Differences: Notice that the Penalty Target and Procedural boxes are shown per target, along with a Comments line. While this doesn't seem like a big deal, this really helped us. First, if there was a P/T attached to a shoot target, you recorded the P/T hits right along side of the scoring hits. Minor difference but there was never any doubt about where any of the the P/T hits were. Also, since I do stats for our local club, I can't tell you how many times I get scoresheets with one or two 'tick marks' next to the no-shoot box, but nothing actually recorded inside the box (and it certainly happens at big matches as well whichs means the RM has to head out to the stage, talk with the CRO/RO's and competitor to sort it out). This is almost always caused by the RO walking the stage scoring, keeping track of the no-shoot hits, but getting distracted and never writing the total number of no-shoots in the box. Listing P/T hits per target completely solves this problem. As for the Procedural box... again, Procedurals are recorded per target. While this doesn't always apply (i.e. Creeping), it was handy to be able to write down one Procedural along with a comment like 'FTE' on a per target basis.

Other: My stage did not have any steel on it but I worked a stage with steel during part of the Pre-Match. The way that steel is handled on the EHC scoresheets is that there is one line for each steel. IOW, if there were four poppers, there was one line for each popper (with the C and D hits blacked out), but with all the penalty boxes and comments area. As for the other Stats area on the scoresheet (Check: Score: Enter: Verify:), neither Deb or I saw the inner working of Stats, but I am sure they had a purpose as well....

Conclusion: While none of these are major differences between our scoresheets and the EHC scoresheets, I gotta tell you, with this many competitors coming through, if any competitor came up to me and asked about 'what their score was on a certain target?'... 'which target did they earn an FTE on?'... 'why did they have a Procedural on T5?'... I could confidently look at their scoresheet and tell them exactly what happened and where (I guess I should add that many of you might read this as 'how could they NOT know where they earned their penalties, etc. these questions always come up).

While all of these things are really minor differences, when you are trying to turn squads as fast as we were, every second helped... ;)

I like it !!

It seems I might have saw a similar score sheet at one of the matches I worked this year. Maybe Moneypenny remembers which/if ?

I am thinking it was on a regular half-sheet.

Those check boxes for stats are probably a good idea too.

Thanks for posting this stuff, BDH. :)

Notice also that the 'time of day' box is way down by the RO signature and other administrivia and far far from the 'time' box which is up in the scoring area. One more little detail that pays off.

FWIW, I don't know how they did stats, but at the WS last year, the scorekeeper accidentally totalled my solitary C on a stage down into the D box. By the next day, before I could get to stats to complain, the error had been caught and fixed. I was amazed.

Only proviso is the RO's would have to score in the same order every time.

That's kind of a 'best practice' but some stages work better at this than others. One thing that tends to occassionally screw things up is when there is a disappearing target on the stage, and the boxes for that target (with the NPM's) don't come up in the order that the range crew is scoring. Not a big deal, just kind of a pain in the butt... ;)

There are some big advantages to this style of scoresheet! Now we just need to encourage those that maintain EZWinScore to make this style an option. IMHO, if we don't make it easy to produce this style of scoresheet then they won't get used.

I like this style, too, but I wonder what it would look like on bigger/more complicated stages. We normally use a half-sheet in "portait" orientation... which means we can go deep, but not very wide. This seems to lend itself best to "landscape" orientation (more columns for each target, plus the comments by target), which means it needs to be fairly wide.

A stage that has... oh, say, 10 paper targets and 12 steel... might take up more space than we could fit [legibly] on a half-sheet of paper. That's not a deal-breaker, just thinkin' thru it. I'll probably experiment with this for the scoresheets at next year's Area-1.

As far as the "check / score / enter / verify" block, I think that's kinda cool. It is a "process check" - I do it a different way (using a workflow approach, I can always tell what's been done with a scoresheet by where it [physically] is in the stats shack), but it is a neat idea, and I'll probably adopt it too.

Thanks, Brian!

Bruce

Might be able to go to a 1/2 sheet of Legal size and get the space you need in width without giving up the depth. Of course this might drive the cost of score sheet production up slightly. But a little cost for a lot of added benefit (theoretically) is a no brainer.

I like this style, too, but I wonder what it would look like on bigger/more complicated stages. We normally use a half-sheet in "portait" orientation... which means we can go deep, but not very wide. This seems to lend itself best to "landscape" orientation (more columns for each target, plus the comments by target), which means it needs to be fairly wide.

A stage that has... oh, say, 10 paper targets and 12 steel... might take up more space than we could fit [legibly] on a half-sheet of paper. That's not a deal-breaker, just thinkin' thru it. I'll probably experiment with this for the scoresheets at next year's Area-1.

They managed with 32-round stages with 3-4 steel on them. I'll see if I can find on of my copies and post it.

They managed with 32-round stages with 3-4 steel on them. I'll see if I can find on of my copies and post it.

I still have all my copies of the scoresheets for each stage: should you need any, just let me know (but, please, don't comment on the results ... :lol: ).

I like this style, too, but I wonder what it would look like on bigger/more complicated stages.

I worked a 32 round stage during the pre-match. It had 15 paper and 2 steel, and fit fine on a half sheet (I don't have a copy of the scoresheet, but it was Stage 6 if anyone wants to post it). Also, as long as we are playing with scoresheets... one thing that I would absolutely love to see added to EzWinScore is the ability to add a column that prints NPM's!!! I always hate it when our club puts disappearing targets on a stage as I get all kind of things on the scoresheet to record them, and it usually takes some work to figure out if is a Miss or a No Penalty Miss... ;)

I haven't used EZWS-generated scoresheets in... I dunno how long. If I want quick-and-dirty scoresheets, I use the Excel workbook hidden on the EZWS CD. It was developed by Floyd Shoemaker and does a *great* job - including a column for NPMs.

For Nationals, where aesthetics are important, I use a Visio template I put together a couple of years ago.... ymmv

B

Steel:

Especially for local matches, why not stick with one entry only? Having an entry for every single steel seems to be creating more work than it's worth....

Good point.

For local matches, ok.. score however.. but at the continental championship level, it would be nice to identify, say, which popper the shooter FTE'd just in case there are complaints later..

Care to share that Visio template there Bruce? Some of us have succumbed to the Evil Lord which you are enslaved by and actually own Visio so could make good use of your template. I do all my stage designs on Visio too.

Steel:

Especially for local matches, why not stick with one entry only? Having an entry for every single steel seems to be creating more work than it's worth....

Good point.

For local matches, ok.. score however.. but at the continental championship level, it would be nice to identify, say, which popper the shooter FTE'd just in case there are complaints later..

While I don't understand the need for identifying which steel is still standing on the scoresheet it seems that any match with a set CRO/RO team, such that every shooter's targets will be scored identically, could do this without too much wasted work.

I like this style, too, but I wonder what it would look like on bigger/more complicated stages.

I worked a 32 round stage during the pre-match. It had 15 paper and 2 steel, and fit fine on a half sheet (I don't have a copy of the scoresheet, but it was Stage 6 if anyone wants to post it). Also, as long as we are playing with scoresheets... one thing that I would absolutely love to see added to EzWinScore is the ability to add a column that prints NPM's!!! I always hate it when our club puts disappearing targets on a stage as I get all kind of things on the scoresheet to record them, and it usually takes some work to figure out if is a Miss or a No Penalty Miss... ;)

I don't have a sheet to post, but we've been using target by target blocks for N & P routinely. We use 1 line for all steel, with a block for Alpha hit and M, N, P.

There is a double "Total" line. The clipboard RO is supposed to total the columns on the spot, to verify all shots accounted for, and the second line is for Stats to use, to doublecheck the results without altering the stage RO's recorded totals.

To indicate NPM targets, the line looks the same as for a regular paper target, except the M block is shaded a light gray. Any Mikes noted in that gray box don't get counted as a penalty. That allows rectifying the count on the number of shots per target without confusion.

For scoring sheets for club matches, I put together a generic scoresheet using Excel that has everything you need for a 6 stage match on a double-sided 8.5x11 sheet of paper. It has 3 stages per side, places for the shooter's info [name, address, USPSA #, email address, Divisions, Classes, PFs. One of the stages has multiple blocks for time, for classifier standards with multiple strings. I think I've got 16 lines for paper targets plus a line for steel. That will accommodate any stage up to 32 rounds on paper, plus any combination of paper and steel.

If the stats guy has time, he can modify the template to match actual stage specifics, by clearing out unnecessary target numbers, graying out NPM M boxes, inserting Stage Titles, including the classifier name, etc. Most of the time, we just use the generic sheets rather than generate too many sheets for a match that get wasted at the end of the day.

Maybe I can post a view from home tonight. I don't have it at work.

I haven't used EZWS-generated scoresheets in... I dunno how long. If I want quick-and-dirty scoresheets, I use the Excel workbook hidden on the EZWS CD. It was developed by Floyd Shoemaker and does a *great* job - including a column for NPMs.

For Nationals, where aesthetics are important, I use a Visio template I put together a couple of years ago.... ymmv

B

On the other hand, I use ezws scoresheets whenever I possibly can, as they were designed to mimic the scoresheets used at the Nationals in 1999 and 2000 when version 1.0 was first being developed, and I have found no cleaner, simpler scoresheet to use than those. We use them at our monthly matches at South River Gun Club, we've used them for all three Area 6 championships, Cherokee Gun Club has used them for the GA state championships, etc, etc.

That being said, of course there are exceptions, such as large numbers of targets, No penalty mikes, multigun, 3gun, etc. There you have to roll your own, and I use Powerpoint for those. More people certainly have powerpoint than visio, so here's a zip of my ppt containing, high round counts stages, odds and ends, and multigun.

multigun_scoresheets.zip

Steel:

Good point.

Easy enought to write in the notes as you note the FTE ?

For scoring sheets for club matches, I put together a generic scoresheet using Excel that has everything you need for a 6 stage match on a double-sided 8.5x11 sheet of paper. It has 3 stages per side, places for the shooter's info [name, address, USPSA #, email address, Divisions, Classes, PFs. One of the stages has multiple blocks for time, for classifier standards with multiple strings. I think I've got 16 lines for paper targets plus a line for steel. That will accommodate any stage up to 32 rounds on paper, plus any combination of paper and steel.

If the stats guy has time, he can modify the template to match actual stage specifics, by clearing out unnecessary target numbers, graying out NPM M boxes, inserting Stage Titles, including the classifier name, etc. Most of the time, we just use the generic sheets rather than generate too many sheets for a match that get wasted at the end of the day.

Maybe I can post a view from home tonight. I don't have it at work.

I made a similar Excel sheet. Mine has 4 stages on the front, allowing for the classifier on the back (which is typical for our local club's 5 stages).

lynn,

I used a copy of your's to save the match a while back. My computers were down (we were moving) and I found out I needed to run the match the next morning. I was able to get on the internet (buddy's machine) and print out a copy of your score sheet. Then, just make copies at the printer. :)

You saved the day. :)