Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 40 LIMITED

Nemo

Here's a photo Fran just sent from his cell phone to mine. This is his M&P40 sporting the prototype Speed Shooter Specialties magwell and mags with the Taylor Freelance base pads. An excellent poor-man 20-round limited gun.

post-2776-1192130996.jpg

SSS had to shave the pads to fit the magwell, but I believe when the magwell is in full production Robin will retrofit the pads to work with it.

Better pics tonight when I can shoot it with my camera.

Edited to add the image. :wacko:

Edited by Nemo

Here's a photo Fran just sent from his cell phone to mine. This is his M&P40 sporting the prototype Speed Shooter Specialties magwell and mags with the Taylor Freelance base pads. An excellent poor-man 20-round limited gun.

post-2776-1192130996.jpg

SSS had to shave the pads to fit the magwell, but I believe when the magwell is in full production Robin will retrofit the pads to work with it.

Better pics tonight when I can shoot it with my camera.

Edited to add the image. :wacko:

Cool, any idea how the magwell is attached?

Note: We received the magwell yesterday afternoon while I was in the office. It was shiny, brand new without knicks or scratches. When I got home in the afternoon, Francisco (14 years old) had already installed the magwell on the gun and had it as banged-up as you see it in the pix from some dry mag changes. :)

Gotta love it when your son (or daughter) has "THE FIRE" like that! :D

Note: We received the magwell yesterday afternoon while I was in the office. It was shiny, brand new without knicks or scratches. When I got home in the afternoon, Francisco (14 years old) had already installed the magwell on the gun and had it as banged-up as you see it in the pix from some dry mag changes. :)

Gotta love it when your son (or daughter) has "THE FIRE" like that! :D

Ahh he's a GREAT kid! I can't wait to see it in action on my 5 inch M&P. After they cough up the 5 inch :devil:

Edited by VeryBadshot

Mike Cyrwus shot a 4'' this weekend against me in Area 3, and did amazing with it. I really like the feeling of those guns. That magwell is sweet! Good luck

More like "the pistol was amazing in spite of him!"

I will say that my M&P was only one of two that I know of that shot A3, and I only had two mikes on Manny's standard, both weak hand, and that was because I had a crappy weakhand transfer and rushed my last two shots.

The long 75yd shot hit the center bottom of the B-zone.

The 4" is accurate enough for me.

-and Spartacus, youll be doling out some butt-whuppings in no time. A heck of a match.;)

Outstanding!

Finally we are seeing some brand competition in the STI/SV dominated limited field. And as Flex points out, this is not the 1st plastic gun in Limited (btw - what brand won Limited a year or so back? L10?). Bring it on. Our sport will be the better for it.

MAGIC! ;)

Ok I can understand you not wanting to give away SSS secrets before the product hits. Howabout answering this: Does it attach ina manner that I can easily take it on and off to switch between production and limited?

Still would like to see it blended to the frame a little better in the production version of the product.

MAGIC! ;)

Ok I can understand you not wanting to give away SSS secrets before the product hits. Howabout answering this: Does it attach ina manner that I can easily take it on and off to switch between production and limited?

Still would like to see it blended to the frame a little better in the production version of the product.

Im sure it uses a replacement for the backstrap tooly thing that you must take off in order to swap backstraps.

No big secret there.

MAGIC! ;)

Im sure it uses a replacement for the backstrap tooly thing that you must take off in order to swap backstraps.

No big secret there.

Yeah, I'm sure, but it's not the only way. And even if it does, i can imagine a few ways to do it that would not leave the gun in a state where youwould want to swap back and forth.

The only way we could come up with to attach it is to mill the sides off the grip retainer and drill a pin hole through the magwell and the plastic grip retainer and use a steel pin. I don't like it but it does work, Ernest Langdon used a prototype on his M&P 45 at the IDPA Nationals that was set up the same way and it worked fine. Based on feedback from Ernest we are going to make a minor change but as far as attaching it we haven't come up with anything different yet. If any of you have some ideas on it I'd love to hear them. The production version will fit better to match the frame.

So baiscally you modify a factory grip retainer and pin the magwell to the grip retainer?

The way you worded it, it sounds like you could also have meant that you drilled through bothe the grip retainer and magwell of the gun itself.

If it is the former, it sounds like you could return the gun to stock if you have a spare retainer, but it doesn't sound like something you can jsut twist on and off at will, and mounting and dismounting might wear out the modified retainer.

Guys,

Sorry for my absence from the thread, I've been away from 'puter access. Raz-O, I wasn't ignoring you. I'm glad Kenny jumped in and answered the q's. The gun can be returned to production legal shape.

Thanks, Kenny!

So baiscally you modify a factory grip retainer and pin the magwell to the grip retainer?

Yes, if there's a better (or different) way I'd love to hear it.

I had thought of a few ways, but had discarded most of them as dodgy or impractical, but you are welcome to them.

I had put pinning it through the grip tool as a maybe mainly because I didn't think the grip tool would be stout enough. I hadn't thought of cutting it down to give you more room for the magwell to exist.

1) Epoxying or otherwise securing a nut to the flat space that the retainer locks onto, and jsut screwing a magwell on from the bottom. Using a long piece of threaded rod that would extend past the nut to retain the grip panel. This would be pretty straightforward, but not really reversible as it would no longer permit the use of the stock retainer.

2) Also based on the above idea was somehow moving the "nut" above where the grip panel locks in. I figured if you could put a hole through a piece of metal rod drill a hole thorugh it from one side to the other, and drill a hole in the back of the gun, you might effectively create a nut that would fit in there without cutting all the way through the reinforcing ridges. I have no idea how this would affect the frame felx-wise and assumed that just milling a slot and gluing in a regular nut would be a bad idea.

3) Take a page from hogue where they overmold over hard plastic or aluminum with something soft and squishy. Basically CNC a metal wedge that would lock into the same slot the rubber wedge on the grip panels does, and provide anough holes to mold some soft rubber over/thought this skeleton to make the grip. Thread the hole in the metal wedge, and once again screw the magwell on from the bottom.

4) Make a metal replacement for the retainer, or at least the plastic part, and that would be sturdy enough to pin through. However, it might beat up on the frame too much having a metal retaining/locking tab rather than soft plastic of the stock doohickey.

5) same as 5, but make it thicker than stock at the bottom, and screw the magwell on from the back like some of the glock magwells (but into the extended metal pad rather than through the grip/frame).

6) Make the magwell with a rod protruding form it that inserts into the grip tool hole. Mill a notch into it, and keep it in with a rotor clip. Modify a grip panel to not lock on there, and retain it with something you could tear apart if need be. Like perhaps some latex caulk. ALternate version, just retain the modified grip panel with a piece of inner tube or other slip on grip.

7) tkae the slip on grip method, and replace the rod with a screw and a nut. just clamp it on down onto the frame, and keep your grip on with a piece of inner tube.

#3 sounded like the most elegant,but expensive and pricey. I thought about how one would prototype it, and thought that if one could find an insert nut like you might use in building speakers, you could drill out the hole in a grip panel, put in the insert nut, and just screw on a magwell from the bottom. By insert nut, I mean something liek this: ( http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/innuflg2.html ) I seldom see them referred to by a consistant name. The flange would use up the space where the grip tool tab rotates through and keep things fairly snug.

That's about as far as I got lacking the tools/skills to make the magwell part short of carving it out of wood or something.

Kenny,

Since I have yet to try see your mag well if it comes up around the sides at all, all you really need is just a bit of tension to keep it from falling off. I think Raz-0's idea may be a good one. just use one of those insert nuts into a factory grip panel (just put it in the hole that is already there for the take down tool) and run a allen headed screw right up through the magwell, through the frame and into the insert in the grip panel. Little blue lock tite, snug it down, and it should be good to go for a long time. It would also be totally reversible.

We wanted to leave it so it could be removed and returned to factory condition, we had considered making a new retainer screw but it would be a lot of work and it whould be steel so it would probably wear out the notch inside the frame. Even the slightest pressure on the sides of the grip at the bottom is not an option, it has to be slightly loose. We found this out when we were working on Ernest Langdon's 45 magwell, the slightest pressure will cause the magazine to bind and not drop free.