Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to me SDB...

Connor

My father-in-law is shipping me his SDB as he no longer shoots IPSC events. This is my first introduction to a Dillon press and I'm trying to learn as much about them as possible. My question is simple... Can those who own a SQB press tell me how to get the MOST out of this press with regards to add-ons or and accessories that will maximize performance? I will be purchasing an RL650 soon and would like to get as much performance out of the SDB as well. I will be reloading two calibers, 45 ACP and 9mm (mostly). Each press will be set of for each caliber. Since I will be reloading 9mm most often and the SDB is already set up for 45 ACP, the caliber choice for each machine will be obvious.

Can a case feeder be added to a SDB?...

Any advise or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Connor

If it doesn't have the strong mount and bullet tray, get them. If you are going to load 45s and 9s, I would get an extra primer assembly and toolhead (if not another press) so you can change from small to large primers without having to adjust primer assembly everytime you switch. I don't think you can add a case feeder to SDB since it uses proprietary non-threaded dillon dies. Other than that I just have extra toolheads for other calibers so I can just switch shellplate, change toolhead with dies set and adjust my powder measure, I'm good to go.

The SDB is a fantastic little machine. I loaded 10s of thousands of rounds through a couple.

Not really much you can do to them. They'll only load pistol calibers, and their dies are unique to the press. With the 650, you can pretty much use any commercially made die - Redding, Lee, RCBS, Dillon, etc and you'll be fine. Since you're just going to be loading .45, I'd just set it up and leave it alone. I think you can mount the SDB to a strongmount, although I never did; and I believe a bullet tray is an option as well. Check Dillon's catalog to be 100% sure.

No case or bullet feeder for the SDB, you've got to do that by hand.

I was able to easily get 300 rounds an hour out of mine without ever really getting in a hurry.

Congrats- and welcome to the "blue". I have one also and love that little machine. Although the smaller size limits it's capabilities as far as a casefeeder is concenred. Also I found that installing the bullet tray to be too cramped for my liking. Next time you are at walmart, get a lamp and a couple of pet feeders. They are less than $5 a piece. ;) Put your bullets in the left one and brass in the right one. I can load 500 an hour regularly. Here is a picture of my set up.

post-5009-1191605062.jpg

Hello: I had a Square Deal B and used it alot. I used to load 9mm,40 and 45acp on the press. I am shooting more now so I needed to step up to a faster press. What I did was try a friends 550,650 and 1050. Once you try all three the choice is obvious-1050. I actually liked my SDB better than the 550 and 650. The 650 for me came last. I would get a conversion for 45acp and load that on your SDB. After that decide what you need. Maybe another Square deal even. I did not use the strong mount but made an adapter for the Dillon bullet tray to fit the square deal. It is a flat plate with holes to fit. If you want I can send you the pics of it. Now start collecting brass and reload. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Wow, great info guys, thank you. I certainly appreciate the advise, it's great to be able to get user feedback. I really like the pet feeder idea! I used a single stage Lee for my early reloading years and can't wait to step up to the SDB. The pet feeder idea would have been IMMENSELY handy for that press!

Thank you again.

Connor

Edited by Connor

Unless you just like spending money, the SDB can be mounted to a wooden base, then bolt the base to the bench. The strong mount is hardly "strong" IMHO. Bolt/screw a piece of 16 GA steel to the bench and mount an Akro-Bin to it for a bullet tray.

Check out the pics in my classified thread before I delete it next week: Press for sale (sold)

It shows the mount for the press and the "bullet tray".

Once you get the 650 I'm doubting you'll care to use the SDB again, so I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on it. It's a neat press and I've owned 3 of them, but with no case feeder, cramped working area and the large amount of extra physical effort required, it does not begin to stack up to the 650. Changing calibers on the 650 is well worth the effort compared to loading on the SDB.

I understand folks loving the SDB as it was wonderful when I transitioned from single-stage and turret presses, but the 650 at 3 times the load rate and half the physical effort just blows it away for me.

I'd use a case lube like "One-shot" when loading 45's on the SDB...huge difference in effort...big. ;)

Buy the spare kits part IMO. Dillon does replace parts free, but if something breaks it doesn't help you at the moment. Particulary if your like me and don't load ahead!

+1 on lubing your casings, big difference. Another thing I did was take the primer slide and polish all the sides of it and all the areas that the slide rides on. This helps prevent the slide from sticking during its travel, this sticking can cause flipped primers now and then.

Also, I found when loading 45 ACP on mine, if I tried to load at maximum speed, I would get alot of high primers. So, now, I slowed my speed down and get better results.

Yup- lube them cases and there is virtually no resistance....I have noticed that the small pistol primers seat easier and more reliably than the large pistol primers. Spare parts kits are also a good tip- Mine have come in handy more than once!

I have 3 of them one for each caliber. I also have a 550 that I can load anything else on. I prefer to use the SDB over the 550 any day of the week, and I can load faster on the SDB than on the 550.

I have all of them on Strong Mounts and really like that system.

Thank you again for all of the great info! I can't wait to get the SDB mounted to my bench (typical RCBS bench built 12 years ago) and get it set up. I believe it has the strong mount already, but not 100% positive.

Rocket35, I picked up the EXACT same pet feeders you have! :) Will post pictures when I have the press set up.

Connor

Edited by Connor

I bought the same pet feeders as well. I found the brass didn't flow well; 2 minutes, a razor knife and a rotozip fixed that :lol:

I bought a larger Akro catch bin for the finished rounds.

I bought dedicated allen wrenches in the necessary sizes; t-handle, ball end, etc.

On the list of things to get: dedicated box wrenches and sockets for adjusting the dies and powder measure. The Dillon multi wrench does work, but its a PITA to use.

A small hook tie-wrapped to the primer magazine tube holds my safety glasses (right in front of my face so that I don't forget to put them on).

After dropping one of the brass shell plate buttons on the floor and having it bounce under my workbench, I drilled a few small holes to keep them safe (when pulling shells to check length, powder charge, etc).

All great reommendations and suggestions, thanks a bunch! Press should be here today and set up this afternoon. I just purchased 4 of the "Dillon blue" powder measure adjustment knobs from a person who makes them and sells them on eBay. I plan on getting a couple extra measures for the SDB and near future RL550. ;) Thinking ahead...

Connor

P.S. The pet feeders I purchased are the exact same as Rocket35's... they are the dog feeders. They seem to work great! :) The smaller red feeders are cat feeders... I saw those, but passed on them as I will be loading larger quatities and the openings on the dog feeders was larger.

Edited by Connor

Finally got around to taking the SDB out the handmade wooden box it was shipped in! :) I'm very happy with the way it was shipped to me. The press is in EXCELLENT condition. Unfortunately, the person I purchased it from is a smoker and the press is going to need a good cleaning. Oh well, gets me familiarized with the machine... ;)

I will be purchasing the low powder indicator and strong mount for this press. I have one question:

Is it possible to replace the clear tube portion of the powder measure? This one has turned quite yellow over time. I see some SDB's have a screw at the base of the tube to allow changing just the tube? My SDB does not have that screw... If it is replaceable, I'd like to order it with the other parts...

Thanks again.

Connor

Finally got around to taking the SDB out the handmade wooden box it was shipped in! :) I'm very happy with the way it was shipped to me. The press is in EXCELLENT condition. Unfortunately, the person I purchased it from is a smoker and the press is going to need a good cleaning. Oh well, gets me familiarized with the machine... ;)

I will be purchasing the low powder indicator and strong mount for this press. I have one question:

Is it possible to replace the clear tube portion of the powder measure? This one has turned quite yellow over time. I see some SDB's have a screw at the base of the tube to allow changing just the tube? My SDB does not have that screw... If it is replaceable, I'd like to order it with the other parts...

Thanks again.

Connor

Contact Dillon about the powder measure- I would think there is something they can do. Hopefully you won't have to buy a whole new unit. I believe they all have separate part numbers. Yup found them....

13691- Powder Measure Tube

14202- Powder Measure Tube Screws

Edited by Rocket35

Those tubes yellow over time...from leaving powder sit in them. No worries. You can fight it with a new one for a while, but it seems like an uphill battle.

You really shouldn't need the low powder indicator (the one that goes in the powder measure, right?). If you fill the powder measure at the start of each reloading session, then you will run out of steam...or primers...before you run out of powder.

Dillon sells 4-paks of primer tubes. That give 400 rounds. That is about all I was good for in a session. Have a 4-pak though. You don't want to stop every hundred rounds to fill primer tubes.

I liked the strong mount I had with the SDB, but I could see making something from scratch...as mentioned above.