Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealing with the Glock 'bump'

Any feedback on that from U-die owner-operators?

It does slow me down. For me, I need to be sure the brass is 100% of the way into the shellplate before pulling the lever. I've pondered if adjusting that spring that holds the brass in place as you rotate the shell plate (550 here) to apply some inward pressure in station 1 is a possible solve. Or maybe a different design of that?

Being the brass rat that I am, I scrounge ALL of my .40, and a fairish amout of it is glocked and unuseable in my Dillon die.

I suffer zero slow down loading .40 with the U-Die I bought from EGW. I don't even feel a difference, to be honest . A steady 500 rounds per hour or so. Sometimes less, as I get a tad of vertigo from switching tight focus between stations...my acuity isn't what it used to be.

I find no reason to use a U die - BTDT. The regular Lee carbide works just as well. Glock has tightened up their .40 chambers a good bit over the last several years. You don't see that big guppy belly as often now.

I case gauge for a big match, but not for a local.

A stiff shot of Yukon Jack makes the vertigo vanish. Hmmmm did I remember to put any powder in that case or twice as much? :surprise:

My Dad has been pushing our brass completely through older sizing dies that have been modified a little for just that purpose. He puts a plastic soda bottle on top to hold all the brass coming through. It is done on a single stage press with a Long t shaped pc that goes in the shellholder notch.

If you're having problems with case alignment on your 650 with a U-Die don't forget about the billet diehead designed to move the die outward so the case doesn't have to be 100% into the shellplate.

Nick

I use U dies for .38 and .45 in 2 550s. The U die does a great job and dosen't slow me down at all. I have the paper clip spring set

to hold a very light pressure on the case to make sure it is all the way in the shellholder every time. I can load 100 rounds in about

8 minutes this way. I use Dillon case lube on all the cases because it makes it effortless to pull the handle. It doesn't go any faster,

but the fatigue factor is way down. I lube the cases by spraying case lube in an appropriate sized plastic dish or tub on the sides

and bottom, just a thin coating. Then throw in the brass, work it around and transfer to bin for loading. This method keeps lube all

on the outside of the case without having to spread them out on a cookie sheet.

Sounds like the 550 presses are having a better time with the U-die than the 650?

I had an EGW U .40 in my 650 and it was miserable. It seemed like every other case would smash against it, unless I hand-fed each one. Wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe if the brass insertion was more precise? Anything I can adjust to fully feed the brass into the shellplate without too much wobbling?

I went back to the regular Dillon die, and case-check each round. I find plenty of stinkers, since it's all scavenge brass. I might try a regular Lee die next.

A solution that let's me crank away on the U-die -- that would be nice to find.

• 1 month later...

is there a similiar solution for a Square Deal press? i've got one i bought originally sized for .38sp, but bought a caliber conversion kit from Dillon for 9mm. (been shooting a lot of IDPA with my glock 19, so reloading 9mm only seemed logical).

i'm getting the "guppy belly" on my 9mm cases after decapping/resizing, and the bulge is significant (.01+"). i'm fairly sure my glock will chamber it without a problem, and seeing as the G19 is the only 9mm i own, theres no chance of running this "bulged" ammo through any of my other guns?

(i'd hate to trash 1500+ pieces of glock-ized 9mm brass)...but if i did, does anyone make a supported barrel (something with a tighter throat) so i can avoid this all together?

If you are only going to shoot the reloads in a Glock with a factory barrel, you don't need to worry about the bulge. If you want to use it for a pistol with a tighter chamber then you need to remove it. I've shot and reloaded thousands of 9mm and .40 from my G34, G19 and G35 on my SDB with no feeding or brass life issues. But the Glocked .40 sometimes won't chamber in my non-Glock .40...

I only shoot X-Police once fired 9mm (all from Glocks) they chamber in everything 9mm I own. Springfield 1911, Kimber 1911, Tanfoglio Silver Team Limited, Ruger Carbine, S&W M&P, a freind of mines EGW barrelled Tanfoglio AP gun. All loaded on standard Dillon 9mm Dies. No problems ever.

I use X-Police 40S&W Federal and R-P cases, mostly fired by Glocks. I have used these in CZ-ST, STI Edge, STI IPSC Std pistol with Schuemann barrel, Ruger Carbine again no problems. I find all those that have the bulge will be a little tighter on the sizer but proper cleaning and appropriate application of lube and all is well.

I load 9mm on a SDB, a 550 and a 650 depending on how lazy I am. 40S&W loaded on my 650.

Plus i don't have a case guage. If there is any doubt it all gets barrel dropped. That way it has been tested in the barrel it is going to be fired in, not somebosies idea of a chamber.

thanks for the replies guys. the bulge bothers me enough that i'll be picking up a rockchucker rather soon, and a U-die for full length resizing.

the case (resized on my square deal) measures .3755" through most of the casing, and .3880" at the bulge. not MUCH, but enough that it's noticeable, and most definitely bothers me (OCD with my reloading stuff)

is there a similiar solution for a Square Deal press? i've got one i bought originally sized for .38sp, but bought a caliber conversion kit from Dillon for 9mm. (been shooting a lot of IDPA with my glock 19, so reloading 9mm only seemed logical).

i'm getting the "guppy belly" on my 9mm cases after decapping/resizing, and the bulge is significant (.01+"). i'm fairly sure my glock will chamber it without a problem, and seeing as the G19 is the only 9mm i own, theres no chance of running this "bulged" ammo through any of my other guns?

(i'd hate to trash 1500+ pieces of glock-ized 9mm brass)...but if i did, does anyone make a supported barrel (something with a tighter throat) so i can avoid this all together?

You could remove the bevel on the Dillon Sizing die so that you can move the die lower in the toolhead. I honestly think the U die is overkill. I get bulges on my 10mm and even my 9mm. My standard Lee die does the trick in my 9mm even with the LW barrel. 10mm is the Glock barrel (so it's loose) but the Lee die is fine. Dillon dies have a very large concave area that makes for easy reloading but it can't size as low as a result. Remove it like on the U Dia and you might be fine.

Or Resize on a single stage press with the Lee die of your choice.

Edited by 98sr20ve