Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Limited Mags?

KimberShooter

This topic may have been covered in the past, but I would like to get a little more info on it now... I am getting a new SVI Limited class gun.  I have been looking for hi-cap used magazines for sale and have run across many different types.  What types do you guys use for the most capacity?  What is the highest capacity you can get for a limited gun?  I have heard countless combinations of followers and base pads, but what REALLY works?  I have been told that possibly 126mm magazines are better than 140mm because of the capacity that can be reached with different arrangements of followers and bases.  Just the straight scoop please....??

If capacity is your ultimate goal, send your mag tubes to Beven Gramms to be reshaped and fitted with his basepads, springs, and followers. I can easily get 20 rounds in my 140mm (.40) mags and they have been utterly reliable. This really works and you won't lose any sleep wondering about your mags.

Ron is on the money; send whatever mags you find to Bevin. No, he is not the cheapest, just the best. Now, to answer your questions: best reliability and best capacity. Leave the reliability to Bevin. He will replace whatever internals you send with his own internals. As for capacity? 2 tricks to gain a round or two: 1) send Bevin your .40 Smith and Wesson caliber preban mags along with 140mm replacement tubes made for the .45ACP. This is not a misprint. Why would you do that??!? Because: Bevin can re-shape the .45 tubes to work with the .40 cal and usually get an extra round by doing so. 2) Try to find some really old smooth sided tubes - the ones without the double dents STI uses or the single dents found on current SV mags.  Again, why use those??!? Because: Bevin can re-work and polish the old tubes and in conjunction with Bevin's internals, these tubes usually hold more rounds than the newer mags. So what is the downside? The older mags sometimes bulge at full capacity and when they are fully loaded to the brim, they do not always "drop free" due to bulging - thus, guys complained and S_I added the dents/ribs. My smooth sided mags stick from bulging when full and always drop free once 1 or 2 rounds have been fired. Funny, I have never run into a stage requiring me to drop a fully loaded mag, I guese I tend to reload once a shot or two (or more) has been fired; must just be one of my quirks - so much for the  "non drop free" problem.  Best of luck!  

• 2 years later...
2 tricks to gain a round or two: 1) send Bevin your .40 Smith and Wesson caliber preban mags along with 140mm replacement tubes made for the .45ACP. This is not a misprint. Why would you do that??!? Because: Bevin can re-shape the .45 tubes to work with the .40 cal and usually get an extra round by doing so.

So by doing this you can get 21 rounds of 40S&W in an S_I gun?

I haven't run across anyone who can get 21 rnds in a SV or STI .40 Limited mag. The most I've ever seen, and been able to get, is 20rnds - using an SV 140mm tube and a +1 Dawson base pad. I believe it is the same if you use one of Beven's base pads. I think 21rnds in a .40 Para mag is doable.

Echo everybody´s advice to send whatever tubes you have to Beven, I live overseas and sent my tubes to Beven for tunning and internals and they work great, I don´t spend a second thinking about my mags, I just load them up with 20 in my 140mm or 17 in my 126mm and go shooting. Another great idea is the holes he does in the back to be able to count the rounds.

Only other thing I would think to do is to engrave them

Sergio

Guest Larry Cazes

SV 140mm tubes, Dawson +1 pads and Grams springs and followers. An easily re loadable 19 and reliable but tight 20 rounds. I didn't need any tuning that I couldn't do but YMMV.

There are custom cut .45 tubes and guts that will hold 19 and fit in the box. I have two of them. NOT easy to seat however.

My 126 mags with Grams guts and Dawson wedge pad hold 18, but are really hard to seat. No tuning.

My 140's for USPSA have a Dawson +1 and Gramms guts, and all hold 20 and are seatable. No tuning.