Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Aimpoint" view--what do you see?

moredes

I dunno squat about handgun dot scopes--not even the names of manufacturers. (I had to search Midway USA for a list of manufacturers)

Would someone post a picture of the scope picture one sees when shooting at a row steel plates or multiple IPSC/IDPA cardboard targets? (I mean, the field of view can't be so small as to restrict me to finding one target at a time, can it?) I don't know anyone who's got a scope, and there are no ranges nearby where I could find a shooter with one.

What do ya'll use (brand name, model)? Are "all" red dot scopes suitable for IPSC/IDPA -type shooting, or are some strictly meant for hunting or bullseye? One has to keep both eyes open, yes? hope so; I shoot everything else with both eyes.

Thank you.

Edited by moredes

I dunno squat about handgun dot scopes--not even the names of manufacturers. (I had to search Midway USA for a list of manufacturers)

Would someone post a picture of the scope picture one sees when shooting at a row steel plates or multiple IPSC/IDPA cardboard targets? (I mean, the field of view can't be so small as to restrict me to finding one target at a time, can it?) I don't know anyone who's got a scope, and there are no ranges nearby where I could find a shooter with one.

What do ya'll use (brand name, model)? Are "all" red dot scopes suitable for IPSC/IDPA -type shooting, or are some strictly meant for hunting or bullseye? One has to keep both eyes open, yes? hope so; I shoot everything else with both eyes.

Thank you.

So much of that depends on the distance to the targets and the distance from your eye to the scope.

If you look at 'Field of View' numbers, you can get an idea. 10' FOV at 100 yards is the same as 20' at 50 and 40 at 25.. FOV isn't usually quoted for dots though-- since they don't have a focus point, you can hold it as close or as far from your eyes as you want, which changes things dramatically.

So, to get the best idea for a dot, make a circle or tube about the size of the scope lens (that information is available) and hold that about where your rear sight would be. That's about what you see through the lens.

Most of the time when you shoot a dot you are looking at the targets and never even notice the scope itself.

Most of the time when you shoot a dot you are looking at the targets and never even notice the scope itself.

This is about right for me. My open guns have Aimpoints exclusively and I shoot with both eyes open. As long as both eyes are open, I see the target or targets in focus with the dot superimposed but slightly out of focus on top of it. I dont see/notice the the lens or body of the scope at all. FOV in this sense is really irrelevant since the scope is 2+ feet in front of your eyes and you can see objects outside of the view of the lens. During transitioning between targets I am not looking through the scope in the traditional sense but I also don't lose the dot either. The same was true with my first gun that had a Cmore but the dot was just offset much more from the slide. I dont think a picture will give you the full feel for this, you will have to try one to understand.

Edited by ipscbob

C-mores are the predominant scope

Some shooters still use aimpoints as they hold up well, have amazing dot control and don't have dot fade in different amounts of sunlight.

Others use Docter scopes that mount in a dovetail mount. These are nice but holding up seems to be an issue

JPoint is another that some use. They are pretty nice, shot one on an open gun for a while. The problem is plastic lens that did scratch. I also did not like the fact that I could not control the dot.

Burris and Fowler make nice dots with an adjustment for shooting movers for Bianchi Cup type action shooting. They are amazing, but pricey.

Anything else is pretty much out as it won't hold up or just is not practical.

Both eyes open, and you won't see the scope body.

This really is true.....The size and location of the scope body is immaterial since you will never see it when shooting.

Some shooters still use aimpoints as they hold up well, have amazing dot control and don't have dot fade in different amounts of sunlight.

That is all true but the main draw for the aimpoint or any tube for most of us is that the dot is at least an inch closer to the slide and with some mounts even closer. I can switch from my open setup to limited and back and not have any trouble finding the dot on my aimpoint and I don't need to practice or dryfire to achieve it. Furthermore POI to dot offset is much smaller on close shots. I started off with a Cmore and got tired of the Cmore flinch every time I brought the gun up and couldn't find the dot. Sure I could practice and fix that but for me I decided not to bother. It's all good, though. Try as many different dot setups as you can and pick the one that works best for you.