Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shave width of front sight or widen rear notch

AzShooter

I'm trying to get a better sight picture from my relovers. Both are 5 inch bot the front sights are stock and I find they cover a lot of the target. Would it be better for speed and accuracy to reduce the width of the front sight or to widen the rear to see more light?

Would it be better for speed and accuracy to reduce the width of the front sight or to widen the rear to see more light?

Well...one is better for speed, the other is better for accuracy.

A fat front sight is easy to pick up. A skinny front sight doesn't hide as much target at distance.

I'm trying to get a better sight picture from my relovers. Both are 5 inch bot the front sights are stock and I find they cover a lot of the target. Would it be better for speed and accuracy to reduce the width of the front sight or to widen the rear to see more light?

There is an optimum FR sight width for each person depending on barrel length and your personal preferences. Most people will shoot better with a front blade in the 0.100" to 0.110" range. YMMV

Most stock front sights are too wide. I recall the SIGs are about .145 and I think the SW revo front sights are around .125 - .130.

I have narrowed most of my F sights including the revos.

I took a lesson from Manny Bragg, I think after he saw me shoot about 2 mags, he said the front sight was too wide.

I was using a Dawson .110

I have since switched to a .090 and love it. Those LONG shots at plates are MUCH easier!!!

Z, try a .075" on a 5" gun or a .090" on a 6" gun, even better than the .090". Did you look Manny's sight? SWEET!!!!

OK, now you have done it, where can I get a Dawson fiber optic .075???

Edited by zhunter

You can get one from Manny or Benny Hill, those are the two sources I am aware of. I don't have time to make them when I can buy them from guys I really like and respect. Doesn't matter where you get it, it isn't a stock item and will be made for you. Manny sets his up a bit different than anything else I have seen, his have the fiber right up at the top, top of the dot is top of the sight. The last one I got from Benny had the top of the blade visible above the dot, it fit my eye perfectly and I prefer that, so that is what I have stuck with. Manny had one a lot narrower than .075" too.......

Any time I can spend your money just let me know, I will be FULL of help LOL.

EDIT: tell Benny I said hi, haven't had time to tell him myself for a while....

Edited by HSMITH