Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Advice Needed...

D. Manley

Good information throughout, thanks to all who responded. I learned a long time ago that when choosing between 2 items is particularly difficult either option is likely to be fine and neither is likely to be regretted. To be honest, if the 550 had a 5th station (powder check) I'd snag it in a heartbeat but based on the responses, I'm leaning that direction anyway.

In previously researching the differences in the machines I somehow failed to grasp that (1) primer issues are fewer in the 550 & (2) caliber changes are simpler. I can reconcile that these two "pluses" will offset the powder check die. On "D-Day", I'll give Brian a call and fine tune things up...thanks again for your input.

I also went throught the 550 vs 650 decision a few weeks ago. I searched many forums and spoke with friends with LOTS of reloading experience. (one of my friends literally has around 1 MILLION rounds loaded in a 550 between him and his shooting buddies) The 550 was my choice because it was easier to use and troubleshoot, easier and cheaper to convert between calibers and I felt that I would have more control over the process by manually indexing. Initially I thought the 650 would be better because of the powder check system but have found that most people do not use them. My friend I mentioned above with the 1 million rounds has never had a double charge or round with no charge. It's very easy to look into the cases as you are putting the bullet on so this isn't really much of an issue if you are detail oriented in your loading.

I've had this thing running for a few weeks and have loaded almost 4K rounds without any problems. I haven't tried to time or push myself but I easily loaded 200 rounds in about 30 minutes this morning before going to my match. This is plenty fast for my needs. As stated above, you can get one of Brian's EZ packages and add/subtract items as you see fit.

Good luck with your choice. Don't believe for a second that you will save any money. I'm loading for about a third of what I was spending on factory ammo but I've shot 3X as much ammo this month :D

I also went throught the 550 vs 650 decision a few weeks ago. I searched many forums and spoke with friends with LOTS of reloading experience. (one of my friends literally has around 1 MILLION rounds loaded in a 550 between him and his shooting buddies) The 550 was my choice because it was easier to use and troubleshoot, easier and cheaper to convert between calibers and I felt that I would have more control over the process by manually indexing. Initially I thought the 650 would be better because of the powder check system but have found that most people do not use them. My friend I mentioned above with the 1 million rounds has never had a double charge or round with no charge. It's very easy to look into the cases as you are putting the bullet on so this isn't really much of an issue if you are detail oriented in your loading.

I've had this thing running for a few weeks and have loaded almost 4K rounds without any problems. I haven't tried to time or push myself but I easily loaded 200 rounds in about 30 minutes this morning before going to my match.

+10 to that.

Without a Casefeeder, auto-indexing only complicates the machine without delivering any increase in speed. Manual indexing is WAY underrated.

Although some swear by the Powder Check System, I never put them on my press (even though I was sponsored by Dillon). Just one more thing to fiddle with every time you change calibers, and every time you change the powder charge in the same caliber. Look in the case as you're setting the bullet on - that's the way to reload.

Give me a call when you get a few minutes.

be

Toll-free: 1 877 219-5598

Without a Casefeeder, auto-indexing only complicates the machine without delivering any increase in speed. Manual indexing is WAY underrated.

Although some swear by the Powder Check System, I never put them on my press (even though I was sponsored by Dillon). Just one more thing to fiddle with every time you change calibers, and every time you change the powder charge in the same caliber. Look in the case as you're setting the bullet on - that's the way to reload.

be

I'm convinced, 550 it is. I hope to be in touch soon Brian and yes, I will speak to you by phone beforehand. Thank you for your reply...and of course, your expertise. Its been a long time since I did any handloading and only after digging my old press & stuff out did I fully realize how very much things have progressed since then. You don't even want to know what a 40 year old lube pad looks (and, smells) like.

Edited by D. Manley

• 1 year later...
I use a 650, I don't think I would even consider a 550 now. Everything a 550 can do a 650 can do better and faster, if time is important get a 650 with the KISS, I think you can load 1000 rounds in about 2hours or less, that from what I hear, I don't have a KISS, I've been spending all my $ on guns and ammo. Maybe check out the Lee loaders a friend of mine has one and it seems to work fine for him, some features are even better that a dillon, I know "blasphemy", right? I'm just saying look at all your options.

I thought I heard about someone using a powder check with a 550, please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Anyway, of the choice, go for the 650, and definately the case feeder, I don't even know why dillon sells them without it.

Jason

Doesnt KISS make the bullet feeder for the 550?

g10

No

Yes they do... Listed on page 15 in the September issue of "the Blue Press".

I have two 650's,one for 9mm,38super,38supercomp,and 40cal. and the other one for 223. I also have a 550 for

45cal. ,a 450 setup with a case trimmer for the 223, and a SDB. I love um all. If I could only have two

reloaders they would be a 550 and a 650.

Whatever you decide on make sure to get a case feeder.

i dig my 550. when im humming along, i can do about 550-650 rounds per hour of 9mm.... thats MOVING..... with maybe 3-7 screw ups in along the way (case went in wrong-got smashed/ spent primer got wedged into the machine/ something of that sort).......

i stop when my thumb starts to get a blister from flipping the plate over to the next station :roflol:

I started with a 550, then bought a 650, thinking it would be faster, better everything. Well, I was wrong, lol. My 650 ran like a top. Until I switched calibers, man what a headache! Not in switching, but to get the D*** thing to work again. So, after trying to switch from 9mm to .223 and being unsuccessful, I thought, well, I'll put the 650 back to 9mm and load .223 on the 550. NOT! Now the 9 won't work either!!GGGRRRRRRR! Sold the whole freaking mess and bought another 550, and I don't "need no stinking" casefeeder, lol. I can load upwards of 500+ rounds/hour, switch calibers and go right on loading, with ZERO problems. That's my $.02

I have a sdb set up in 45acp, a sdb set up in 40 S&W, and a 650 set up for 38sc. I use my 650 a lot but I still love the square deals, for the money they are a great little machine. My brother has a 1050 but he also loads a ton of rifle rounds and I don't. I never have to change my caliber out as I only load those 3 rounds. I think the 650 is the bomb as far as price and the product. I sent one of my sdb back to dillon because I screwed it up and they sent it back to me in a couple of weeks completely overhauled. Their the best-period

When I started shooting IPSC about 20 years ago, the guy that got me started said the first thing I needed to get was a Dillon press. At the time I was loading on a single stage press. I was not shooting as much then that is why I had a single stage press. The first press I got was the 450. I now currently have two 550's. I still have the 450. Dillon makes some GREAT products and also has GREAT customer service.

I'm seriously mulling over getting back into reloading after several years absence. With loaded ammunition prices rising substantially, shooting more and, adding a .45 to the stable, reloading is again becoming attractive. I should mention that while I don't particularly "enjoy" reloading, I don't mind it either. I'd appreciate a little advice and thoughts from those more familiar with today's choices of hardware. For reference, my previous setup was a simple, single-stage (Pacific) press. It was quite adequate for the amount of ammunition I used at the time but my present needs would be (minimally) 800 to 1,000 rounds per month in both 9MM and .45 ACP. For this quantity, I'm leaning toward progressive machines specifically the 550/650 Dillon although I have considered the Hornady LNL-AP.

Any advise would be appreciated but I'd specifically be interested if there are other, significant differences between the Dillon 550 & 650 other than, the additional station and auto-indexing. I'm aware Brian advises against the 650 as "1st machine" and not to consider it minus the case loader. While I certainly would not discount his advice I must say, auto indexing does appeal to me as a bit of a safety feature especially when ran with the powder check die. Which brings me to another point...am I correct that there's no practical way to run a powder-check | powder-cop die on a 550 and still seat & crimp in separate operations?

The Hornady LNL-AP seems to be a nice press but due to its quirky nature (especially ejecting 9MM using the Lee FCD) I've about decided to go blue. Bottom line, I need to decide between the 550 & 650. Quite frankly, I need a lot of other, newer stuff as well and I'm considering one of Brian's "Easy Buy" packages with the 550 switched out for the 650. Any thoughts appreciated.

With out a doubt the 650 w case feeder and powder check system. I have had some deprimer pin issues with it and just had a spring go bad... but you really cant go wrong with it. It just takes a little maintenance like anything else. Dillon has been very good about sending parts out, no questions asked. I would recommend to make alot of ammo in case something does break, so you wont get too stressed waiting for that replacement part. I am trying to keep 3-5K ready at all times. Also, if you need primers and you are shooting 45, I would recommend putting a large order for magtech large primers in with Cabelas online. Any other primer will take a very very long time.. from what I have witnessed. Also precision rnf seems to be the best bullet for me. Lead bullets are just to meessy for the machine and everythign else. Good Luck! It can be a big purchase with all the extras but I think it is worth it!

I've had this thing running for a few weeks and have loaded almost 4K rounds without any problems. I haven't tried to time or push myself but I easily loaded 200 rounds in about 30 minutes this morning before going to my match.

+10 to that.

be

I agree with Brian that the powder check is unreliable. It will buzz after a while and the weight hasnt changed. I constantly have to change the setting on the powder check system. Even with the constant changes after say 100 rounds, I like it because if I have an empty or a double it will be very obvious. I sometime will make alot of rounds at a time and wont concentrate on whats in the case all the time.. not to mention distractions.

The casefeeder is definitely what makes the 650. That's why the 650 was, according to the folks at Dillon with whom I've discussed the matter, designed from the ground up to work with the casefeeder. A 650 with a casefeeder however, IMHO at least, is in a whole different ballpark than a 550, and I say that as someone who's owned both.

I've never had a problem with the powder check on the 650, but then I'm one of those guys who tends to pick one bullet, one powder charge, and then stick with it for a long time, so there's not a whole lot of recalibration required for me.

The casefeeder is definitely what makes the 650. That's why the 650 was, according to the folks at Dillon with whom I've discussed the matter, designed from the ground up to work with the casefeeder. A 650 with a casefeeder however, IMHO at least, is in a whole different ballpark than a 550, and I say that as someone who's owned both.

I've never had a problem with the powder check on the 650, but then I'm one of those guys who tends to pick one bullet, one powder charge, and then stick with it for a long time, so there's not a whole lot of recalibration required for me.

My powder check seems to move around. I may not have it just right yet. I have had my 650 for only 6 mos or so.

I'm new to Dillon as I've been loading on a green machine RCBS Pro2000 for the last 7 years. I just picked up a used 650 with case feeder and now understand why Dillon is it, end of story.

I won't be selling my RCBS as it has loaded more rounds than I can count, and it no longer owes me anything. Plus, I've got it setup to load a ton of different calibers.

Anyway, the 650 is the $hit!!!!

BTW, ordered some small replacement parts to bring the press up to tip top shape. They were in the mail within a day or so with no questions asked. WOW, what service!!

FWIW, RCBS has excellent service as well, can't complain there either.