Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Wilson Combat ETM SS Magazines

Jeffrey Yao

FWIW, I contacted Wilson today. The old #47 basepads will not fit on the new elite mags. The gentleman was unsure if it would work with a Techwell, but I'll find out in about 3 days. He advised that the mag is longer, but the basepad is shorter than the standard #47s, so the overall length is the same.

FWIW, I contacted Wilson today. The old #47 basepads will not fit on the new elite mags. The gentleman was unsure if it would work with a Techwell, but I'll find out in about 3 days. He advised that the mag is longer, but the basepad is shorter than the standard #47s, so the overall length is the same.

Any updates? I would like to purchase these magazines for a new STI Trojan with a S&A magwell.

They will be here Monday. Assuming I can figure out a way to get to the range after work, I'll post an update.

ETA: I don't think you will have any problems with an S&A magwell and the new mags.

Edited by RAZZ

I've been using Wilson mags with the 8 round conversion for 25 years or so and they have never let me down with quality ammo and I see no reason to change. I have and will stake my life on them. If the new ones are as good I see no reason not to go with them. I would need to check one out with my guns to make sure the base pad isn't a problem. Since I'm retired and on a very tight budget I will not buy any new mags now.

Update: The new mags work just fine with the mid-size Tech Well, however getting a stuck mag out might be a chore. They are nice mags, but didn't work any better than my already perfect old Wilson mags. They do seat easier on a closed slide, so that's something.

• 1 month later...
Update: The new mags work just fine with the mid-size Tech Well, however getting a stuck mag out might be a chore. They are nice mags, but didn't work any better than my already perfect old Wilson mags. They do seat easier on a closed slide, so that's something.

I just ran these through my new trojan with a S&A magwell without any issues.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bring this back up because I picked one up and am considering switching from DE's. I have the S&A magwell and the mags work fine. I believe they are a little easier to reload due to the mag length and the width of the pad. Other than the pad and the slightly longer tube I cannot see any kind of difference from the 47D.

I think vs. the regular 47D pads they are quite a bit easier to reload. Vs the 47DE's, maybe slightly better, but now that the DE's are too big for the SS box and require modification, I am liking the ETM's better and better. I modified 2 of my DE's and I definitely prefer the ETM mag.

Anyway, I am going to slowly switch over and sell off my 47D's. If I had no SS mags right now, I would definitely buy the ETM's over the 47D's. I have no experience with the Tripp mags.

We had to bump two shooters to Open at the Area 8 because of these mags. They are not even close to fitting in the box due to their length.

Gary

Gary, are you referring to the ETM mags or the 47DE's? I don't have a box, but I cut a piece of paper to the size of the box and laid my 1911 with the mags on it and they seemed to fit with plenty of room. The DE's are too long by far, I have filed two of mine down, and their length has been discussed here and there in this forum.

I took some pics of my paper box and the mags. I am not much of a photographer and I am having trouble showing that the mags fit well. But to my eye they do anyway...

From L to R ETM mag, cut DE, regular D pad, regular DE pad

post-13858-1213624731.jpg

post-13858-1213624754.jpg

post-13858-1213624768.jpg

post-13858-1213624777.jpg

Edited by bofe954

Anyway, like I said it's hard to get the pic to look like anything fits, but you can tell the DE clearly does not, and if the regular D pad fits the ETM should as well. Here are some other mag pics.

Regular 47D tube vs. ETM tube, front view of (from L to R) cut-DE-D-ETM, side view (from L to R) ETM-D-DE-cut DE

post-13858-1213625253.jpg

post-13858-1213625269.jpg

post-13858-1213625278.jpg

These folks had the ETM 45 mags. The body of the ETM magazine was almost as long as a 47D with the base pad on it.

The issue is the relationship between the height of the rear sight blade and the length of the magazine with basepad. If your rear sight sits higher then your magazine and basepad must be shorter. Conversely if the rear sight blade sits relatively low then the magazine and basepad can be slightly longer.

I had instructed the guys at chrono to make every attempt to get the gun and magzine in the box. If they could push the rear sight down or if the shooter wanted to count clicks and turn the rear sight all the way down that would be OK. Unfortunately we couldn't have got these two guns in the box with a hammer.

Each shooter will need to check out their own equipment, but I just wanted everyone to be aware there could be a problem.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

We have a box in the works. EGW has produced a prototype and hopefully it will be available soon.

If you have access to an IDPA box you can use it for two of the three measurements. The critical measurement is the top to bottom measurement which includes the magazine and base pad.

Gary

These folks had the ETM 45 mags. The body of the ETM magazine was almost as long as a 47D with the base pad on it.

The issue is the relationship between the height of the rear sight blade and the length of the magazine with basepad. If your rear sight sits higher then your magazine and basepad must be shorter. Conversely if the rear sight blade sits relatively low then the magazine and basepad can be slightly longer.

I had instructed the guys at chrono to make every attempt to get the gun and magzine in the box. If they could push the rear sight down or if the shooter wanted to count clicks and turn the rear sight all the way down that would be OK. Unfortunately we couldn't have got these two guns in the box with a hammer.

Each shooter will need to check out their own equipment, but I just wanted everyone to be aware there could be a problem.

Gary

Gary,

Do you recall what kind of rear sights were installed on those two guns? I never even thought about my SS not fitting in the box with ETM mags! Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to find a box and measure my guns with these mags.

• 4 months later...
We had to bump two shooters to Open at the Area 8 because of these mags. They are not even close to fitting in the box due to their length.

Gary

Gary,

I was researching magazines when I came across this post.

It brings up an interesting question.

If you get bumped to open due to equipment, can you shoot the rest of the match with an open gun?

I am well aware that 5.1.7 states that you must use the same handgun and sights for all courses of fire unless your gun becomes unsafe or unserviceable.

In that event, you can change to a different gun if there is no significant advantage to the change (5.1.7.2).

This rule is clearly intended to prevent competitors from changing guns on a stage by stage basis to gain an advantage.

However, under these circumstances, where you have been pushed into the Open division due to equipment, you gain no advantage by switching for the rest of the match.

If fact you are at a considerable disadvantage if you do not.

I can't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

Tony

Tony,

you make some good points --- but the gun switching rules were designed to address gun breakage. One of the things that the rules writers wanted to avoid was the ability for shooters to have multiple guns in their bags, and to decide which to use depending on the stage. 50 yard standards? 80 oz. open gun with telescopic sight. Run off the mill stage? Standard open gun. Real up close stage, wide open targets, lots of really wide transitions? Iron sighted Glock.....

So, the short answer is you're being sent to open for violating division rules, i.e. cheating, no matter how unplanned that may have been. That behavior needs to come with consequences with some teeth, to dissuade others from either actively cheating or making the same mistakes....

We have a box in the works. EGW has produced a prototype and hopefully it will be available soon.

If you have access to an IDPA box you can use it for two of the three measurements. The critical measurement is the top to bottom measurement which includes the magazine and base pad.

Gary

Hi Gary:

My single stacks fit in the IDPA box with old and new Wilson, Tripp and McCormick. Is the USPSA box ready from EGW? If not, what is the difference in IDPA and USPSA boxes?

MIke