Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loosing A Cell Phone

MichiganShootist

I often carry but seldom use my cell phone. I carry it for emergency situations and since I am retired... I really don't want to be on an electric wire where people can call me 24 X 7. I had that "honor" for too many years.

But between fishing, motorcycle rides, roaming some hunting property I have, etc. there are plently of places the belt clip could have failed me. I don't know where it happened... but it did.

So when I realized that I couldn't find my cell it had probably been missing for several days. I called the service provider and had the number deactivated. I spent the better part of 2 days looking for the d#mn phone but had no luck.

Here's the good news... no calls had been made .... and....I was out of contract so I got a new free phone from the provider for extending my relationship.

Here's the bad news... I probably had 50 or more telephone numbers stored in my phone which I never recorded any place else......

So my advice is simple. Don't trust a belt clip and make up a list of contact numbers that are in you phone. (or up load it to your PC)

I often carry but seldom use my cell phone. I carry it for emergency situations and since I am retired... I really don't want to be on an electric wire where people can call me 24 X 7. I had that "honor" for too many years.

But between fishing, motorcycle rides, roaming some hunting property I have, etc. there are plently of places the belt clip could have failed me. I don't know where it happened... but it did.

So when I realized that I couldn't find my cell it had probably been missing for several days. I called the service provider and had the number deactivated. I spent the better part of 2 days looking for the d#mn phone but had no luck.

Here's the good news... no calls had been made .... and....I was out of contract so I got a new free phone from the provider for extending my relationship.

Here's the bad news... I probably had 50 or more telephone numbers stored in my phone which I never recorded any place else......

So my advice is simple. Don't trust a belt clip and make up a list of contact numbers that are in you phone. (or up load it to your PC)

sad story, I learned it the hard way too..

btw you can buy a sturdy belt clip from maxpedition

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPr...amp;idproduct=2

Also I agree 100% about having phone numbers that I dont have written down anywhere else. Heck I don't even know my own folks home phone number by memory. :ph34r:

But the way I see it is the easy way to figure out which numbers are important ....... is to let THEM call YOU! :lol:

Chris you make excellent points and sound like my daughter. She uses her phone for an alarm clock and then I think after she's awake it never leaves her hand or ear:)

I spent too many years living with a pager around the clock.. and to me it's like being "bugged". I guess I have less to say than many cell phone junkies.

Recording the phone numbers is a lot like printing out your e-mail address list in the PC. The only time it seems important is after the machine crashes.

You might investigate what's available through your wireless provider as well: Verizon offers people on their family share plans, who pay their bills online, the ability to upload their phonebooks to the Verizon website --- you can then dump them to a new phone. It's a free service --- at least for customers who meet those parameters....

My new Sprint phone, a Sanyo Katana, has an added security feature I've not seen before. If I were to lose track of it, there is a website listed in the manual where I can input the phones serial number (DEC No.) and it essentially locks down the phone. The phone book is erased and the phone cannot make or receive calls without reactivation at a Sprint Phone Center.

It also has a feature to upload the phone book to the net to be downloaded to additional phones.

Bill

I've been lucky! I don't use a holster as I always carry my phone in my pocket, but I have had several phones break with all my numbers inside.

I think most phones and providers have software to allow you to connect to your pc and download your phonebook. I've stuck with Motorola phones because Motorola Phone Tools is so easy to use. ( Except I just got my daughter a new RAZR2 V9 and you need an extra plug-in that you only get a 5 day trial on!!!). It's super easy to use. You can very easily transfer music, pictures, ringtones and phone numbers with a drag of the mouse. A quick and easy back-up!!!

Of course the software only works if you still have the phone and can turn it on!!! Bummer...

Dude

I feel your pain, I have "lost" 7 phones, only 4 were recovered ( it helps to fish in shallow water ), 1 deer hunting, 1 bass fishing, 1 offshore fishing.

I have hundreds of numbers in the phone, ALL of my social and work life is in there!!!

I can tell from your phone usage it would not matter to you, but for others, I would like to tell you that the iPhone is amazing, as EVERYTHING is stored on your computer and/or iTunes.

The people you need to contact will call soon enough, not a worry, and if they don't call, well, I guess they were not that important anyway.

Sorry for your loss,

ZH

ZH .... you've never heard of a fishing vest (with pockets to hold your PHONE) ??? :huh:

I had them belt clipped, and when bending over to reach on the deck etc, they would "unclip" themselves.

Most of that time I was fishing and working at the same time, as all I needed was to be able to answer the phone in a timely manner.

Hunting, well, it fell outta the backpack somehow, it was one of those old Motorola BRICK phones, most likely before many of your times :)

Nowadays I can hunt and fish in peace, and leave the phone in the drybox!!

The iphone is amazing, however, you're locked into one carrier (unless you're into risky and warantee voiding hackery) that may not offer the best deal for your usage pattern. I got a Blackberry 8800 since T-Mobile was offering unlimited data (including the ability to use the unit as a 115k internet connection for my laptop) for an extra $19.95/month which seemed better than what most were charging for data. I also liked having a real keyboard for sending mail. If you're into web browsing from your phone, the iphone easily beats the Blackberry.

The Blackberry syncs with Outlook, Outlook Express, and even comes with its own backup program. One of the reasons AT&T may not have the best deal around is that AT&T has to pay Apple a royalty for each iphone subscriber over the 2 year subscriber contract. Requiring a 2 year contract when you're not getting a subsidized phone as part of the deal seems a bit abusive. T-Mobile requires a one year contract if you sign up over the telephone (two is you do it on-line - go figure), and they will provide the unlock code(*) at no charge once you've been a customer for three months and your bill is paid up to date.

* - It is not uncommon for phones to be "software locked" to a particular provider, and providers vary in their willingness to give customers the unlock code. There are also business on the web selling codes and unlock services.

Rob

I have been a longtime Cingular/AT&T customer. Choosing a phone provider is ONLY about the service, and very little about the cost. I despise dropped calls, AT&T is by far the best in my home region. I tried them all!!!

The iPhone is a great choice IF you are happy to deal with AT&T!!!

Otherwise, it would be a tradeoff, is the iPhone really necessary?

It is/would not be for me, but being they are my provider, I am EXTREMELY happy with the iPhone. It is a wonderful phone/tool.

A low tech solution is to simply write down your contacts on a few 3x5 cards. I've had two phones crap out on me but was able to quickly add my old contacts to the new phone.

My next tip is how to use an abacus if there is a solar eclipse that kills your calculator ;)

• 1 month later...

If you're with Verizon, you can goto their Get It Now section of the phone and download their Backup Assistant. It stores all your contacts online and should you lose or change phones it'll put them right back onto the new one. It schedules backups at night for any new contacts in you've entered during the day. It used to be like $3 a month.

You can also goto Susteen for their kit to store and transfer phone numbers and contacts.

I carried my cell phone on a belt clip for years. I hated it. I was always catching the phone on something and breaking the clip. Last year i tried something different. I use a holster style carrier that holds the phone paralell with your belt and I wear it in the front. I don't even notice it all day unless it rings. Does not get hung up on the seat belt either. I like it much better than the clip type.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

post-1856-1195405005.jpg