Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moved to the Moderator Forum:2010 Pan American Shotgun Championship

Breaking my thumbs is a little harsh......having me hung over every day would probably help out more :cheers:

This is going to be a really fun trip! I can't wait to shoot with some of our International Brethren! This will be my first International Competition for anything, and am really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the postal results Linda.

Obviously we need to look at breaking Craig's thumbs before next week.

Speaking of which.......WOOO HOOO only one more week before we leave!

-

Wouldn't it be easier to just form "Team Canada" and shoot for a medal?

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Co-Match Director

2010 IPSC PanAm Shotgun Championship

I do believe our President of IPSC Canada, is in the process of contacting you about that!

Shirts are being developed etc., a little last minute, but we should get it done!

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesse, you evil genius you!!!!! growing an additional thumb to increase dexterity in reloading weakhand is truly diabolically genius!!!!!!!! :devil:

Growing extra body parts for competition?

Holy Crapola, this is getting serious!! :roflol:

Jesse, you evil genius you!!!!! growing an additional thumb to increase dexterity in reloading weakhand is truly diabolically genius!!!!!!!! :devil:

I salute you my freind :cheers:

trapr

Maybe I outta stick other body parts in my Benelli to help them grow? It would definately give me a leg up on the competition!

For those of you who have read this thread from the beginning are aware that we were expecting to receive shirts for the Area 6 shooters to wear. Due to the financial circumstances of the sponsor who had proposed this, I regret to inform you that this is not going to happen. So bring an extra shirt to the match.

Ticks tricks and tips

Consumer Reports, the U.S. independent product testing organization, ran a piece on insect repellents in the July 2010 issue HERE.

Unfortunately, they didn't include BugBand.

They do suggest, among other other things, tucking trouser legs into boots to keep the beasties from crawling up the leg.

I can't find any of the "blousing bands" we used on utility trousers in the service (USMC), but I find that 10" "mini bungees" work fine as a substitute method of creating a bug barrier.

For those who wear shorts, well .....

There is a tick problem in the area? Are long pants suggested, or needed? LOL

The good news is that apparently, the ticks in Kentucky are usually not the deer tick, which carries Lyme disease.

Now that the clock is ticking, so to speak, until the start of the match, you might check Tick Time in Kentucky

And, I don't suppose that having a bunch of ticks crawling up your leg would entitle you to a re-shoot, but you could claim that a miss was caused by being "ticked off."

Edited by oldcurmudgeon

The good news is that apparently, the ticks in Kentucky are usually not the deer tick, which carries Lyme disease.

Now that the clock is ticking, so to speak, until the start of the match, you might check Tick Time in Kentucky

And, I don't suppose that having a bunch of ticks crawling up your leg would entitle you to a re-shoot, but you could claim that a miss was caused by being "ticked off."

LMAO....thanks for the Heads Up.

We have the Deer Ticks that carry Lyme Disease in the area that I live, but they are pretty rare to come across. I have never had one on my person, but my Labs pick them up once in a while.

How about Fire Ants. I spent some time in SC a few years ago, and they were pretty prevalent around the area I was in, Aiken!

LMAO....thanks for the Heads Up.

We have the Deer Ticks that carry Lyme Disease in the area that I live, but they are pretty rare to come across. I have never had one on my person, but my Labs pick them up once in a while.

How about Fire Ants. I spent some time in SC a few years ago, and they were pretty prevalent around the area I was in, Aiken!

Dunno about fire ants near Rockcastle, but apparently they aren't a big problem in general. See Fire Ants

How about crabs? The last match I went to I got crabs from going prone in the woods. I don't want to have to explain again to my wife how that can happen from shooting ;)

Jesse, are you sure they weren't ticks? Deer ticks, are tiny! They're about 1/16" in diameter, but, they can carry a big punch, Lyme's Disease.

Prior to the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun, I treated clothing with Tick Block.

http://www.tickblock.com/

At the last two BRM3G held at Rock Castle, I am aware of at least two people from each match that came down w/ what was treated as Lyme Disease. Don't know if they had tests run or not, but heavy doses of antibiotics were given just in case.

There are a lot of ticks here. I've seen them crawling on props before- anything that moves.

At the last two BRM3G held at Rock Castle, I am aware of at least two people from each match that came down w/ what was treated as Lyme Disease. Don't know if they had tests run or not, but heavy doses of antibiotics were given just in case.

There are a lot of ticks here. I've seen them crawling on props before- anything that moves.

Umm, at least one staff member from BR3G developed an infection at an insect bite site. It was NOT Lyme disease. The CDC actually tracks that carefully, and there is pretty clear data on where the risk and incidence of Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, and other insect borne diseases occur. Their doctors should have filed CDC reports, since National surveillance started in 1972.

The case that I know about was officially diagnosed as MRSA - usually pronounced as "Mersa." From the Mayo Clinic:

"Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection is caused by a strain of staph bacteria that's become resistant to the antibiotics commonly used to treat ordinary staph infections. Keep an eye on minor skin problems pimples, insect bites, cuts and scrapes if wounds become infected, see your doctor."

It is very common in hospitals and nursing homes, but is also found in athletic locker rooms and community centers. It is very rare to get MRSA from an insect bite, but if you scratch it, you can pass staph from your hands and finger nails into the bloodstream. Insect repellents to avoid bites help. Hand washing (or the simple alcohol based hand sanitizers sold everywhere) is the best preventative if you scratch insect bites in the woods. And band aids should cover cuts and abrasions (you can tell I'm a nurse, right?).

After SEVERAL days of set up, I've found 2 ticks (both still crawling, not attached) which I brushed off & killed. But I also consistently apply repellent before I leave the hotel, and always have a small bottle of hand sanitizer and band aids.

For the questions about fire ants - I'm from South Carolina & have not seen any here. Sadly, I have found chiggers - also called red bugs. Had to purchase a small tube of anti-itch cream. Menthol based ointments seem to relieve itching better than hydrocortisone based creams. And I got mine at the Dollar Store. :)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2010 IPSC Pan American Shotgun Match

Co-Match Director

Edited by LChico

How about crabs? The last match I went to I got crabs from going prone in the woods. I don't want to have to explain again to my wife how that can happen from shooting ;)

Jesse, are you sure they weren't ticks? Deer ticks, are tiny! They're about 1/16" in diameter, but, they can carry a big punch, Lyme's Disease.

Prior to the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun, I treated clothing with Tick Block.

http://www.tickblock.com/

I'd bet they were chiggers bites. They pattern on skin creases - behind the knees, or the skin on both sides of the groin. Also common on the ankles under socks. Jesse - Red spots the size of an aspirin tablet that itch like h*ll? And the itching can persist for weeks, and is worse after a shower, or when you are hot and sweaty. Oh, yeah, and the menthol based anti itch medication I recommended earlier is fine for knees or ankles, but never near the groin. Get the hydrocortisone one for that.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2010 IPSC Pan American Shotgun Match

Co-Match Director