Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Rocky Mountain 3-Gun - September 4-6

Sure its the case Brian, sure it is. :roflol: I've wondered the same thing, get the magnet too close to the case and it attracts, but its not the bullet. Brian, you might see if pulling the components and putting them in a baggy or plastic container and submitting them for inspection would be OK???????????

I know I would never intentionally use bad or destructive components, but the ammo we buy we do not know unless we physically check ourselves.

Trapr

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will use the magnet on the bullet, not the casing. Steel casing okay. Steel bullets not.

As far as the thin steel jacket that will not hurt the target. We pulled our RO's bullet, and it was lead! It had the light steel casing and for whatever reason it still made a hole in our nice new target.

If your bullet attracts the magnet, this is bad, and you will not be allowed to use it at RM3G!

Please buy a magnet and come prepared! We want you to be happy and have lot's of ammo to throw at/near/towards the targets!

Hope that helps all!

Denise

The magnet is the only way that I know of to tell, and I have been surprised by some. I have a box of Winchester 147 fmjbt projectiles that will hold a magnet to them. I was checking some ammo one day just to see what did and did not attract the magnet. Of course, the Barnaul and Wolf did, as well as some SS109, and AP stuff, Port. 308 did, can't remember if Hirt. did, S.A. was good, no magnet, but I was surprised when I grabbed some Wins. bullets out of the box to check. Magnet stuck to them.

I have been told that some Win. projectiles were made by IMI. Don't know for sure, but the ones I have sure like magnets.

RS, I just checked some Win 147gr fmjbt that someone had included in a trade and its just projectiles, when I put a magnet into the bucket I get lots of bullets coming out. I've never loaded these and used them, so now at least I know not to use them on steel.

Trapr

A couple more heads ups! :surprise:

You might want to practice your flying clays with shotgun! (Like trap, sporting clays! You never know what fabulous surprises we have for you! :devil: ) Yes Kurt, I know how you feel about that, but moving things are what shotguns are for!

And we're over 3/4 full. You need to get your apps in quick as I have a lot of sponsors filling in slots!!!

We've got over 40 sponsors :cheers:

Obviously, the amazing JP Enterprises, Arredondo, Benchmade, Brownell's, Buchanan Bagworks, Burger Bullets, Burris, Bushmaster, Camelbak, Cavalry Arms, CPWSA, DPMS, Eagle, Entropy, ErgoGrips, Flash Target, FMG, Grams Engineering, LaRue Tactical, LensPen, Magpul, Militec, MSTN, Nordic Components, Otis, PointBlank, Primary Weapons Systems, Redding,

R&R, Rugged Gear, Sabre Defense, Safariland, Spec Ops, Springfield, Starlight Cases, TacPro, Triangle Shooting Sports, Trijicon, Truck Vault, Viking Tactics and Warren Scope Mounts, and there are still more coming! Thanks to all of them!

By the way:

First target estimate:

60 rifle targets

10 choice rifle/pistol targets

60 pistol targets

10 choice pistol/shot targets

65 shotgun shot

15 shotgun slug

Remember: That's TARGETS! Some are paper and if you don't get an A or B, you'll need two holes on pistol and rifle, and some are long range and you might uh...MISS a little :wacko: I'd bring 150 of each rifle, pistol, shot and 30 slugs!

(Okay, I'D bring twice that, but you know what I mean!)

Denise

Choice targets? Does that mean they are "really choice"? Just kidding. :rolleyes:

Sounds great. As I said a while back, letting the shooter choose which weapon, when possible, can add a whole new perspective to the stage.

Sounds like "ya'll done good" at Johnson 3gun. Sorry I missed it. Maybe next year.

Extra Excitement and JP Enterprises Rocky Mountain 3-Gun!

Nordic Components and Burris will be cosponsoring a FREE side match! :cheers:

They will be providing gun, scope and ammo!!!!! What could be better than that?

The match will be after shooting all three days of the match, maybe lunches, and whenever else you hear bangs at Coors range. (That's right near the scoring shack and the lunch trailer!)

All participants will be entered into a random drawing for a Nordic Components AR-22 with a Burris scope and rings, valued at well over $1100!!!!So, more fabulous fun at Rocky Mountain 3-Gun! There are a few slots left, sign up soon!!!! Denise really wants to know how many of each division she has for trophies and prizes! It should be a great time this year! The stages are going to be a lot of fun! :surprise: Challenging, but fun! :devil:

See you all soon! Thanks to Nordic Components and Burris for sponsoring the match and this special side match!!!!!

If you haven't been to JP's Rocky Mountain 3-Gun, this will give you an idea how much fun we have, and how good the army team is!! :cheers:

We still have a few slots yet, though we're picking up sponsors for slots every day! Thanks to all of them!

I'll post the list of generous, amzing sponsors a little closer to the match! Check our website for all those generous sponsors! :bow:

This year should be a great time!

Just wanted to let you know we're heading up to R&R, so we might not be as quick with correspondence.

I'll get your confirmations for apps as soon as I get back. :unsure:

If I get too many apps, I'll look at the postmarks to get them in order.

Don't worry though, everyone from the waiting list got in last year! We'll make sure everyone can play!

Thanks and see you all soon!

Denise

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of sending out a note to all shooters that I have an e-mail address for, but my e-mail is ticking me off :blush: , so I thought I'd post a copy here as well!

As we get closer to Rocky Mountain 3-Gun, we just wanted to touch base with you.

Here's an estimated target count:

60 rifle targets

10 choice rifle/pistol targets

60 pistol targets

10 choice pistol/shot targets

65 shotgun shot

15 shotgun slug

We suggest you bring a sling for your rifle. You will need it on one of the stages!

Check-In is noon to 5 on September 3 at the Coors Center scoring shack. Late check-in is 0600 September 4. Shooter's briefing is at 0700 at the Coor's Center Thursday, September 4. You'll start shooting at 8am.

There will be water near all the stages, but you should bring lots of liquid as well. As usual, for us, you'll shoot a stage ( 90 minutes), and then have 90 minutes off. You will shoot 3 stages each Thursday and Friday and then 2 stages on Saturday! Our plan is to have awards start by 3pm on Saturday. Mr C's Catering will be selling food near the Coors Center from 7:30-2:00 Thursday-Saturday. Friday night is the Shooter's BBQ. Every shooter gets a free dinner. Others can purchase a dinner for $20.

Remember, all the sponsors have the opportunity to set up in the Coors Center Thursday-Saturday, so take some time to drop by and see them.

Nordic Components and Burris are sponsoring a FREE AR-22 sidematch at the Coors' range. Drop by and check it out! :rolleyes:

Alan Samuel and Machine Gun Tours will be over on a pistol berm (probably) for those of you who need full auto fire! :ph34r:

If you need anything else before you head our way, don't forget to look at our sponsors and spend some of your money with them to thank them for all their support! The Prize table is over $90,000 already! They're on the web at: www.rm3g.com

:cheers: Thanks to JP Enterprises, Sabre Defence, Nordic Components, LaRue Tactical, Bushmaster, DPMS, Trijicon, Triangle Shooting Sports, Ergo Grips, Brownells, Point Blank, Magpul, Springfield, Tac-Pro, R&R Racing, ESP, Glock, MGM, Warne, PWS, Safariland, Burris, STI, Buchanan Bagworks, Berger Bullets, Arredondo, Entropy, MSTN, Camelback, Rugged Gear, Truck Vault, Flash Target, Viking Tactics, DMW, Redding, Starlight Cases, POF, Militec, Lenspens, Techwear, FMG, Eagle, BenchMade, BlackHawk are just the beginning!!!!

We look forward to seeing you all soon!

Denise and JJ

(and the rest of the Rocky Mountain 3-Gun Gang!)

Anubis,

Yeah, I think your excitement is a little out of line.

I have had my camper spot reserved for over a month. The motorhome is getting a check-up and oil change as we speak. This is the one yearly vacation my wife, our two dogs, and myself get to take every year, and I feel it can't be spent any better than being at the Whittington Center shooting the RM3G.

Now to find my magnet so I can check all of my rifle bullets.

Edited by Brian Payne

Maybe it's just me but has anyone else got overly excited from the application confirmation and update emails for this match? ;)

I'm with you Anubis...can't wait to get to such a beautiful camping spot as the Whittington Center and shoot the BEST 3-Gun match in the country. Thanks JJ and Denise (renamed ricochet rabbit) for all the organizing and tireless effort required to pull this off. You two are awesome! Thanks to JP Enterprises and all the other sponsors for supporting this remarkable event. And thanks to all the RO's and staff for all your help and making it so much fun for the shooters.

JP Enterprises’ Rocky Mountain 3-Gun is thrilled to announce the TRIJICON shooter’s Barbeque!!Trijicon is being so generous and is paying for the whole dinner! Yee ha! :roflol:

One of the reasons they’re doing this is our new plan for the BBQ. All the shooters get a free dinner. (Thanks again Trijicon!) But, this year, we are asking for a $5 or larger donation. This will enter you in the doorprize drawings which at this time include: 3 Trijicon scopes, 4 Safariland Holsters, a certificate from LMS, a Dillon bag, a scope mount and bugout bag from LaRue Tactical! We’ve got over $4000 so far! We’re sure to get some more fabulous prizes for the drawings before the match.

What will the donations be used for? We will split all the contributions between two different junior programs. One is the AMU-MGM Junior Camp at Fort Benning. It’s a junior camp for experienced shooters for pistol. The other is Whittington Center’s own Adventure Camp! This is for a wide variety of experiences and includes a number of different kinds of guns, orienteering and other outdoor activities! Juniors are the future of our sport. We hope this will help both these programs out, and give all our shooters a chance to win some more fabulous prizes!!! So bring a little(or a lot) to donate!

Speaking of fabulous prizes…We still have a few sponsors to contribute, but we already have nearly $100,000 worth of prizes for shooter’s bags and the table itself. We should make it over the $100,000 mark by the time you get here. We think you’ll be very pleased!

Thanks again to all our amazing and generous sponsors:

JP Enterprise, Sabre Defence, Arredondo, Benchmade, Berger Bullets, BlackHawk, Brownell's, Buchanan Bagworks, Burris, Bushmaster, Camelbak, Cavalry Arms, CPWSA, Dave's Metal Works, Dillon, DPMS, Eagle, Entropy, ErgoGrips, ESP, Flash Target, FMG, Glock, Grams, LaRue Tactical, LensPen, LMS Defense, Magpul, MGM, Militec, MSTN, Nordic Components, Otis, POF, PointBlank, Primary Weapons Systems, Redding, R&R Racing, Rugged Gear, Safariland, Sierra, Spec Ops, Springer Precision, Springfield, Starlight Cases, STI, TacPro, TechWear, Triangle Shooting Sports, Trijicon :cheers: , Truck Vault, Uniquetek, Viking Tactics, Warne Scope Mount

And we’re working on a few more!

We’re looking forward to seeing you all in September!

Denise and JJ and the Rocky Mountain 3-Gun Staff

Okay, I know I'm a little overly excited...but...we just broke $100,000 for the JP Enterprises' Rocky Mountain 3-Gun 2008 prize table and shooter's bags!

On top of that, we have over $5000 already for the Trijicon Shooter's Barbeque/Junior Benefit!

We still have more coming in as well! I think you will all be SOOO pleased!

Thank-you so much to all the sponsors! :cheers:

JP Enterprises, Sabre Defense, Arredondo, Benchmade, Berger Bullets, BlackHawk, Brownell's , Buchanan Bagworks, Burris, Bushmaster, Camelbak, Cavalry Arms, Clark Custom Guns, CPWSA, Dave's Metal Works, Dillon, DPMS, Eagle, Entropy, ErgoGrips, ESP, Flash Target, FMG, Glock, Gram's Engineering, LaRue Tactical, LensPen, LMS defense, Magpul, MGM, Militec, MSTN, Nordic Components, Otis, PointBlank, Primary Weapons Systems, Redding, R&R Racing, Rugged Gear, Safariland, Sierra, Spec Ops, Sportsman's Warehouse, Springer Precision, Springfield, Starlight Cases, STI, TacPro, TechWear, Triangle Shooting Sports, Trijicon, Truck Vault, Uniquetek, Viking Tactics, and Warne Scope Mount

With all my posts, you'd think I was one of those women who talk all the time?!? :D Hmmm!

Anyway, A couple more reminders: First, please think about bringing some money to donate to the Junior fund at Friday night's Trijicon Shooter's dinner. All the shooters will be able to get one entry into the doorprizes drawings for $5 at dinner time. If you'd like to donate more, feel free. We will also allow you to "donate" $10 for an extra entry. You can "donate for the $10 tickets at any time! We're hoping to raise a good amount of money for the AMU/MGM Junior camp and Whittington Centers' Adventure Camp. :bow: So far, we have: 9 different items from SpecOps, 3 Accupoint scopes from Trijicon, an LT104 scope mount, bugout bag and $400 gift certificate from LaRue Tactical, 4 certificates for holsters from Safariland, a $1500 training certificate from LMS, a Dillon Bag, a half dozen Fabulous components from our match sponsor JP Enterprises, 2 knives from Benchmade, a cleaning kit from Shooter's Choice and a $2400 rifle from POF. We're hoping to gather some more great things before you get to the match!

We've added a couple more sponsors, so please check out www.rm3g.com :cheers:

We don’t post stages at RM3G because the drawings aren’t that helpful if you can’t see the terrain, but…here’s the plan:

Stage 1 – long rifle - 8 rounds from each of 3 positions 150-400 yards, and one bonus target about 600 yards.

Stage 2 – shotgun – 6 5-stand thrown clays, 5 other aerials, 5 swinging clays, 6 activator poppers and 10 other stationary steel. :devil:

Stage 3 – long range 3 gun – 6 shots with each gun – up to 50 yard pistol, up to 100 yard shotgun slug, up to 425 yards rifle

Stage 4 – shotgun/pistol - 10 shotgun steel, 2 slugs, 10 pistol paper, 1 pistol steel, 5 pistol/shotgun choice steel (star)

Stage 5 – rifle/pistol – 6 rifle steel under 250 yards, 4 rifle paper, 4 rifle/pistol choice paper, 6 .22 revolver(match provided), 8 pistol paper, 13 pistol steel

Stage 6 – rifle – 10 paper, 10 steel from 250-400 yards, 1 bonus target over 500 yards

Stage 7 – 3-gun - Start: loaded shotgun at low ready, empty pistol in holster, empty rifle slung. There are: 7 shotgun clays, 2 slugs, 5 pistol/shotgun choice plates, 3 pistol steel, 6 pistol paper, 5 rifle/pistol choice paper, 8 rifle steel from 150-300 yards

Stage 8 – No walk-through stage – pistol/shotgun -12 pistol steel, 9 shot, 3 slugs

Remember, to check your ammo with a magnet, so there are no surprises when you get here. You need a rifle sling on stage 7.

If you need to sight in before the match, there is a sight-in range at Whittingon, but it's $10. If you sight in on a break the day of the match, you've already paid for the range with your entry, so you may just go and sight in.

Hope that covers it! But, who knows?

Denise

I could not be more upset that I can not participate in this superbly run event!

Where is the great big "crying my eyes out" emoticon!

Have a great time at Raton!

Patrick

Pat,

Believe me I feel your pain. Work schedule has hosed me on A1 3 Gun, Pistol Nats, and a couple other matches this year. RM3G was gonna be the jewel for me and just last week, a schedule change forced me to back out.

Hopefully everyone going has a great time and much luck.

Take care, Craig