Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Big of a Lathe Do Ya Really Need?

Kevin J

Hey Everyone!! So a while back I started playing around with some home gunsmithing adventures. I started out with a file and an Arkansas Stone and now I'm hanging out with a Bridgeport clone in the garage. So lately I've been finding more and more projects I'd like to do on a lathe. My main issue is which size to get. I'd like to be able to handle just about any job from threading a barrel to chambering or just making guide rods. I've been looking at the 9x20 imports as a good starter, but I'd really only like to buy once. Any advice you all could give would be great!

Thanks!

Kevin

Hi Kevin J,

The machine tool world hobbyists say

bigger is better and more versitile.

They also mention rigitity is nice, which often comes with size.

my answer is that if you are new to machining,

you will find milling is more often the machine you need.

A milling machine has to be both rigid and tidy.

if there is much slop in the beds, you will, at the very least, break bits.

A lathe is a relatively forgiving machine tool. Get what you think will do.

Learn and be fussy about the mill you get.

miranda

Agree 100% so far. Lathes excell at turning rifle blanks into precision bolt guns. Limiting factor is the hole in the headstock. Fortunatley, most medium sized lathes can accomodate 1.5" which is enough for all but the 50s or some crazy BR gun perhaps.

check out www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

And can we get a pic of the Bridgport in the garage & maybe a gun-related machining project or two?

Regards,

CBR

Edited by Carlos

Good advice all! I'm reading that post on snipers hide right now. Carlos you bring up a good point and something I was interested in hearing, minium siz eof the hole through headstock. I was thinking around 1.5. I keep seeing some of the mediums running between 1 3/8 and 1 5/8 and I wasn't really sure if that was going to work. So would I be O.K. with something 10x27 to 12x36 range? Thanks again to all of you for lending advice!!

--Kevin

P.S.

I'll get some pics posted tonight. I'm not sure I have any gun related milling pics outside of some in progress magwells and bases. I'll take a few of my little shop tonight.

Added: Smoke, that is a killer thread! Thanks!!

Edited by Kevin J

Hello: My advice is to get 2 lathes. One large one for turning long items and a small one for small parts. I know that sounds strange but think about it. You are going to turn a firing pin on a lathe with a large chuck and 46" between centers? I would buy a bench top lathe for the small stuff and see if it will do all you need it to do. If not then buy a larger lathe. Grizzly have some small lathes for under $1000 that work fine. Like they say it is the man behind the machine that makes great parts. I would also look at used lathes like a Monarch. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Kevin,

I have a 10x24 that is fine for doing pistol jobs. Rifle barrels will fit through the spindle for threading and chambering. It's a bench model that is on a stand made for it. A little bit bigger engine lathe would have been better. Used equipment is much easier to find now than 20+ years ago, when more machining was being done here. Some shopping can find you some nice stuff now. I'd rather have a decent used lathe than a new Chinese one. Like buying a gun, if it looks cheap.....it probably is!

I have a 13X40 Chinese clone of the Jet. I would like eventually to find a nice Monarch but have not been willing to invest the time and money to find one. If you plan to taper barrel blanks the length between centers is important. The bore through the headstock is important for Threading and chambering. My headtsock is slightly less than 1-1/2".

The rigidity of machine tools can to some degree be determined by their weight. My 800# lathe is not as rigid as a 3500# 10X20 Monarch but by making smaller cuts I can get to the same end result. I don't do production work so I'm not particularly concerned with speed.

If you already own a mill, you are aware that you will spend probably the price of the machine again on the tooling to support it.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd post some pics of my shop now. As far as projects, I also attached a pic of a development 1911 magwell I'm currently working on for a buddy of mine.

Thanks to everyone for the lathe advice. I've made my mind up and have decided to go after a Colchester round head, 13x36. Now if I can only find one!! My decision was primarly driven by the fact that I didn't want to be limited and my available shop space.

Thanks!!

Kevin

post-6785-1190727442.jpg

post-6785-1190727473.jpg

post-6785-1190727834.jpg

• 1 year later...

Ha! That my friend is an unfinished project! I keep rolling around with the design. I haven't really come up with something that is unique and extremely useful. It'll come in time. I did however buy a lathe. Ended up with a Clausing 5914 and whole new shop! I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

--Kevin