Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camouflage Clothing

CSEMARTIN

I believe yelling "stop" for a prop failure is inappropriate coming from a spectator so I respectfully disagree with you.

It is --- because the cause of the prop failure may not warrant a stop or a reshoot, i.e. the competitor may have missed, not opened a door or port wide enough, or the activators may be crossed --- i.e. you're seeing the shooter hit a popper on the left, and notice that the left swinger isn't activating. What you don't know is that the right swinger is happily moving....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always make it a point to be the last guy downrange.

When it's my turn to shoot, I make it a point to stay downrange until everything is pasted. I also use this time to check no-shoot/hostage targets for holes I didn't put in them.

Edit: negative comment removed.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

• 3 months later...
I think you were wrong

I agree that it is the responsibility of the SO to make safety calls. But what if the SO isn't doing their job? Since when does worrying about distracting a shooter take priority over a safety issue?

Specifically addressing the 'Finger and Muzzle' warnings....

Finger or Muzzle are not standard range commands although they have been adopted by many for safety reasons. All 'commands' should come from the RO (USPSA) or SO (IDPA) to avoid confusing the shooter and making things worse. Keep in mind that Finger and Muzzle are WARNINGS and not actual rules broken. The RO/SO may decide to talk with the shooter after the stage as opposed to yelling at them during the stage. In other cases the RO/SO may know the shooter's abilities or the stage setup. This may lead to the RO using tighter tolerances than the audience.

On thing for sure. The RO is the person in charge of the range at the time. Your distraction may cause not only the shooter to stray but you may also distract the RO.

Edited by j33716

What if you see the shooter breaking the 180? I saw this a few weeks ago, with a new 12 year old shooter. I actually seen the muzzle pointed back at me.

Address it with the SO. It is not your job to interfere with the shooter or the SO while they are shooting but rather point things out at the appropriate time. You may be faster at yelling but imagine if 50 people started yelling. Then the shooter would not hear the commands from the actual SO. We can't have everyone at the range in charge.

We have seen this before where a spectator or another shooter was at an angle different than the SO and made a bad yell.

Edited by j33716

I was always taught (and teach) that on the range, safety is EVERYBODY'S responsibility, not just that of an assigned one or two. We all need to do everything we can to ensure that ours is a safe sport.

This includes not interfering with the RO/SO or instructor while shooting is in progress. While the STOP command due to the guy downrange was a very good call, yelling Finger or Muzzle is not appropriate unless an actual rule has been broken.

I know of a jack ass who likes to yell standby then hit the beeper when he thinks tapers are too slow. Had it happen to me once. I go out of my way to not be near him anymore at a match.

If an RO does this to me then he / she and I are going to have words and they wont be too pleasant!!!

I know of a jack ass who likes to yell standby then hit the beeper when he thinks tapers are too slow. Had it happen to me once. I go out of my way to not be near him anymore at a match.

If an RO does this to me then he / she and I are going to have words and they wont be too pleasant!!!

Deleted

Edited by Sarge

I honestly don't care what the rule book says in any sport. I have two categories of issues:

1) Life and limb in immediate jeopardy

2) Everything else

Expect me to say something about #1 if I don't think it's being dealt with appropriately or at all. No rulebook is going to come between me and protecting the health and welfare of others.

Yup.