Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Russian Gunpowder?

Tokarev

I see this:

Russian Shotshell Powder, SALUT,we got work up sheet from PMC, for using it in 45 Auto, 230 FMJ, just tested it in M10/ colt 45 auto and works great, done up in .3 Kilograms, 6 bottles in box===3.96 lbs, 44.00, I will see what we can find out using it in 9mm, ect,

and this:

Russian Unique (Unique Equivalent) - 5 lbs. $45.00

for sale on a couple of the surplus/bulk reloading websites. Has anybody tried either yet in .40 or .45? I'm guessing they're the same powder. Might have to get a jug and give it a try!

• 1 year later...

The Russian stuff is most likely going to be fair to good. It won't be crap, but it sure ain't as good as Vihtavouri / Hodgdon etc etc.

If price is going to be a big issue then try it and find out.

I personally won't be. Not worth the hassle for a small difference in what the US / Euro stuff costs now.

I am amazed that anybody would think the Russian aren't completely competent.

They were the first to put a guy in space (over 3 decades ago), I think they can figure out how to mix up powder.

That was 12 April 1961 - 48 years ago.

Remember that the Russians make some of the finest .22 rinfire ammo out there.

• 3 weeks later...
I am now using Salut with 220 gr lead bullets for Limited. Thus far I've gotten low SD's and good accuracy. And the load is milder than my old load (175 gr SWC's powered by N310).

Got any more info? Load weight? Cleanliness--for a cast bullet? Chrono stats?

THX!

I am now using Salut with 220 gr lead bullets for Limited. Thus far I've gotten low SD's and good accuracy. And the load is milder than my old load (175 gr SWC's powered by N310).

Got any more info? Load weight? Cleanliness--for a cast bullet? Chrono stats?

THX!

I apologize for my delayed response, I don't come into the forums much anymore. Using 3.8 grs of Salut, ignited by Remington small pistol primers, with S&S 220 grain cast bullets seated to 1.150" I was getting SD's of around 9-10. This load is about 171 PF out of my 5" Schuemann barrel.