Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Accuracy problem

piper

I bought a used super, with 2 top ends, # 1, Briley Barrel, 4 port comp, works just fine with all loads, prefers 160 pf but is still good at 167 , # 2 Schulman barrel 4 port comp is accurate with 145 PF, and gets worse the higher the PF, at 145 pf, 1.5" at 15 yards, 2.5 at 25yards, "A" hits at 50. Thats as well as I've ever done with any gun , Shooter limitations are assumed to be the same for all guns. Please. At 167 PF, 3-4 " at 15 yards, 6+ at 25 and maybe hit the target at 50. I've tried 3 different bullets, 3 powders , and 2 kinds of brass.

Question is What do I do??? New comp? Recrown?? Shoot minor?? Sell #2 top end??

#2 top end is very soft shooting, fun to shoot, and very reliable.

Thanks for any help

3 different bullets,,,, are they the same size ? have you tried mid weight .355's and .356's ? I would also thouroughly clean barell, soaj it over night in a bottle of standard Hoppes # 9, the next day clean with a copper solvent. Then try again.

See if the bullets are hitting the comp. If the comp end of the barrels aren't tight you can have a barrel that shoots fine or even great at low power factor and go crazy at higher power factor.

Current bullet is .355 Delta Precision, 9 mm , 124 FMJ.

Have super cleaned the barrel and comp down to metal,will try again this weekend ,

and then run some MG 124 JHP, 3rd bullet was JHP zero 124's I'm out of those .

I'll see if I can get some .356 .

Thanks

Hornady makes a .356 JHP in 121gr. & 125gr. called the HAP (Hornady Action Pistol). That might tighten up the groups a bit, as they are pretty much the same bullet as the XTP without the expansion cuts in the nose, and are a lot cheaper!

Alan~^~

How many rounds have been put through the barrel? Have you slugged it to determine the actual bore diameter. Any detection of the bullets not leaving perfect circles going through the target?

It sounds like the barrel - bullet diameters are not the best match, allowing gas plow-by at the higher pressures, as one possibility. Check the crown - a nick or ding, combined with the increased pressures of the higher power factor loads may be throwing things off - including causing the bullet to touch the comp.

Guy

Took the problem top end to a local , ( Close Gunsmith ) opened the comp, to 0.390, some copper on the comp, and recrowned the barrel.

A friend donated bullets, and

The MG 124 JHP at 167 PF , gave 2.5 in group at 25 yds, I can live with that .

Thrilled that it worked.

The Zero 125 Jhp were almost as good, but, got an ocassional flyer, could be the shooter

The PD 124 were wild , complete with keyholes at 10yds. 2 or 3 shoots would be good and another flyer, most flyers were keyholes, again at 165 + PF

at 145 PF, very small groups, 1.5 at 10 yds, and 2.5 at 25 or close to that.

The Straight top end ran all combinations , with small groups.

So at this point I'm shooting the straight top end ,

and keeping the ported barrel as spare parts.

I know it will work , but at the price of reloading now, I'm finished experimenting.

As I get some .356 and try them I will report back.

Thanks