Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is My Glock Worn Out?

Bill Nesbitt

I have been shooting a Gen 2 Glock 17 since I bought it used around 1990. The guy I got it from was shooting Major 9 in it before the USPSA ban. I have shot in excess of 50,000 rounds but probably closer to 100,000 rounds, all minor 115 or 147s.

It has been the perfect picture of Glock dependability - - - - until recently. :angry2:

I have been getting the occasional double feed when reloading. In the last few years the slide would drop and chamber a round without using the slide lock when doing a vigorous reload. :lol: Speeds up the reload don't ya know. B) Anyway, now from time to time, usually in a match, I will get a double feed during the slide lock reload. It has happened 3 times, always with different mags. The mags have been from a batch I got new after the ban was lifted and one I had from before, all 17 rounders.

Julie told Susan that she retires a Glock after 70,000 rounds.

I have decided to shoot my newer Gen 3 G-17 in matches for now.

But can I fix my old one to have the reliability it previously had? It has only minor mods. 15# recoil spring on original plastic guide rod, 25 cent polish with 3 1/2 # connector, reduced striker spring, stock trigger spring, Dawson front and Heinie rear sights.

Is it just a plinker now or can it still be a match gun with repairs. I shoot a lot of IDPA so I need to be able to do slide lock reloads.

And yes, I did clean it the other day. :o Then it did it again at the match yesterday. :(

while you're changing the springs, try a new slide lock release lever. Yours could be so smooth from wear that it just won't bite the slide anymore. That spot on the slide could be too smooth also. might want to take a look at that area and see if the two just are too smooth for a decent lock open.

I'm willing to bet new springs, mags and slide stop lever and you're back in business. I know an instructor who has a G-22 that has well over 100,000 rounds through it and it works perfectly.

Even when my newest G-22 was brand new I could get the slide to drop and chamber a round on a vigorous reload...they thought I was crazy fast with reloads and I never told the truth...lol.

If I was a sponsored shooter I'd probably retire them after 50,000 rather than 70,000 :D

Edited by G-ManBart

Recoil spring isn't that old but not brand new. One of the mags, a post ban LEO mag, has a Wolff plus 10% spring that hasn't been used that much. The other 2 mags where I kept track were new about 2 years ago just after the ban expired. The gun never fails to lock open when empty. Slide stop was pretty worn and I replaced it after the match last night. Slide is a little worn but not too bad. Open17, that pretty well describes it. :unsure: The top round from the reload mag is halfway into the chamber and the slide is trying to feed the next round in the mag. :angry2:

I'm shooting SSP at the IDPA Nationals next month and I will shoot my Gen 3 gun.

I've only seen one worn out Glock, and it was mine ;)

Try new springs first, and if that doesn't bring satisfaction, call Glock! I sent them my beat up lower and they replaced it immediately.

Just an idea.

Is the mag release worn? The mag might be moving up/down more than it should. Slamming it might cause things to bounce around more than usual.

FWIW, the only time I've had a double feed was with super light loads (122 pf 147's) and a 13 lb ISMI spring.

: The top round from the reload mag is halfway into the chamber and the slide is trying to feed the next round in the mag. :angry2:

This is one I haven't seen. At least not on a reload! My Major 9 G17 will do it if the mag springs

get weak, but that happens in the middle of a mag and is a whole different set of actions.

Check your feed lips?? You say it does it with multiple mags, and does it when you seat a full

mag into the gun with the slide locked back??

What is the attitude of the gun when you reload? Level? Muzzle up or down? I can maybe see

the forces being there for a double feed if the gun was pointed down.

I can NOT think of anything "worn out" on the gun that would cause a double feed on a reload!!

Bill

: The top round from the reload mag is halfway into the chamber and the slide is trying to feed the next round in the mag. :angry2:

This is one I haven't seen. At least not on a reload! My Major 9 G17 will do it if the mag springs

get weak, but that happens in the middle of a mag and is a whole different set of actions.

Check your feed lips?? You say it does it with multiple mags, and does it when you seat a full

mag into the gun with the slide locked back??

What is the attitude of the gun when you reload? Level? Muzzle up or down? I can maybe see

the forces being there for a double feed if the gun was pointed down.

I can NOT think of anything "worn out" on the gun that would cause a double feed on a reload!!

Bill

Try the simple fixes first, then:

Check the pin holes and make sure they are round. If they are oblong, the frame is going.

Bought a 34 once that was a range gun (unbeknownst to me). The pin holes were out of round and the gun did everything at least once. The seller took it back after I contacted Glock and they said they wouldn't fix it because it was part of their "range gun program"

Everything wears out. Glocks just take longer

Recoil spring isn't that old but not brand new. One of the mags, a post ban LEO mag, has a Wolff plus 10% spring that hasn't been used that much. The other 2 mags where I kept track were new about 2 years ago just after the ban expired. The gun never fails to lock open when empty. Slide stop was pretty worn and I replaced it after the match last night. Slide is a little worn but not too bad. Open17, that pretty well describes it. :unsure: The top round from the reload mag is halfway into the chamber and the slide is trying to feed the next round in the mag. :angry2:

I'm shooting SSP at the IDPA Nationals next month and I will shoot my Gen 3 gun.

Just thinking about the physical movements involved, there seems to only be one way for this to happen. When the slide begins to strips the top round, nothing can happen as far as I can see, since the second round is still in the mag body. It has to be the next round jumping out of the magazine during mid-strip. Any later, the slide is already forward, and it can't go earlier because of the mag body. It wouldn't be the slide rubbing the round loose, by the time the next round is fully up the slide will be past the point where it can catch the round and jam. Maybe it could rub it forward enough to cause a misfeed on the next shot, but I think this flat has to be the mag lips. Since the spring is most compressed when full, that would explain why it only happens on the reload. Give the mag a firm squeeze in a vise and see if it continues.

H.

Sounds like a mag problem for sure, most likely feed lips instead of springs is my guess.

So nice to see someone asking about a possibly worn out gun when it actually has enough rounds through it to maybe qualify! So many other forums are full of idiots who think their barrel is worn out or the gun is about to die just because they managed to put a measley 5K rounds through it.

• 5 weeks later...
You can always send it back to the factory and they will completely go over it.

Big +1 on their customer service. I have sent back 9mm mags that were giving me feeding problems - all were reworked and run fine now. Then I sent back a G24C slide for the areas around the barrel peening- the areas were repaired and all internal parts were replaced.

So far I have replaced the recoil spring, slide lock, striker spring, trigger spring and I'm going to replace striker spring cups and the channel liner. You can rebuild a Glock for less than $20. :cheers: I also bought 6 new mags.

I was getting ready for the IDPA Nationals so haven't shot the gun more than a few rounds. I switched to my Gen 3 G-17 for the match. My mediocre performance had nothing to do with the gun. <_<