Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Shooters - What PF do you shoot

Jack Suber

Thread drift

Why doesn't the steel get calibrated with a chronoed load of 125 PF? Use powder that is insinsitive to temp and it should be close. If the PF floor is 125 why does production shooters HAVE to have it around 130 or higher because that is what WWB is?

Thread drift off

Thread drift

Why doesn't the steel get calibrated with a chronoed load of 125 PF? Use powder that is insinsitive to temp and it should be close. If the PF floor is 125 why does production shooters HAVE to have it around 130 or higher because that is what WWB is?

Thread drift off

The clubs I shoot at don't calibrate the pepper poppers for club matches. I'm guaranteed to have problems unless I turn up the heat.

Thread drift

Thread drift off

Probably because it is difficult to develop a load of 125 Pf consistantly. See rule 5.6.2.1 & 5.6.2.3. Also how to get the same velocity from different guns of the same barrel length or from a 4" glock & a 5" XD. Most Production shooters are using a 130Pf load to allow for the 5% chrono variance (131.25). USPSA is doing all it can to insure the loads used to calibrate poppers is as close to minimum Pf as it is possible for a commercial reloader to produce.

For those who run 125 to 130pf, please read Appendix C1, item 2 of the 01-20004 rulebook. One of our up and coming Production shooters used to run at 128pf with some real consistent ammo and got dinged more than once due to some borderline poppers. A low in the calibration zone hit from the shooter and it would stand. A high in the calibration hit with 130pf ammo by the calibration officer and it would fall. He quit running his ammo that low and bumped it up to 135pf. End of problems.

I also used to run 128~129PF, but went to 134PF after being bitten by the calibration bug. Steel goes down now.

I shoot factory 9mm ammunition out of my Sig P226. I chrono'd 115gr Federal American Eagle a couple months back at 127.7. At the Area 1 match a few weeks back I was shooting 115gr Blazer Aluminum which chrono'd at 128.6. I'm hoping to play around with some handloads during the winter months. A friend gave me some of his IPSC World Shoot ammo and I'd like to duplicate it.

mattk

My load (4.2 VVN320 over 124gn HAPs) chrono'd at 1050 (130PF) at the VA-MD sectionals in my Sig P226-9. It was cool with 100% cloud cover. Same load in my STI 5" 9mm Rangemaster chrono'd at over 1100 (137pf) at the Keystone Cup. It was >90 degrees and zero cloud cover. There's normally a 10-15 FPS difference in the guns, the rest is heat.

Not Production, but my wife's Limited minor .40 loads are around 140 PF. To me, getting much lower than that has a noticable unappreciated effect on steel.

I shoot the same PF on my .38 Super ESP loads.