Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Service?

JThompson

I may be dating myself here, but I remember when you pulled in to a gas station, wait for it, they actually came out and pumped the gas! Not only that, but they would check you oil and add fluids as needed. They'd also check you tire pressure levels and add some if needed. All this for a tank of gas that cost you MAYBE 10 bucks. Now I pay 30+ and not only do I have to pump it myself I have to guess as to how much it might hold or use a card outside. Nobody checks my fluids, add one liner here, and if you should need some air... you have to pull over to a little box that eats a dollar. Okay, so we have to pay for air, which I think is utter BS, but not only that, this little piece of crap doesn't put out enough to fill a bicycle tire let alone a truck tire. Also, the damn hose is to short... but on the positive side, they use a garage door spring to return the hose to the machine, which means you have to fight the tension and hold that nozzle on there for 10 mins to fill one tire, but wait! They only give you 5 mins.... &($*(@& go add some more money and try again, thanks for playing.

RANT OFF

Yeah, those air pumps are way up there on the useless scale far too many times.

Not too mention, the air hose is always covered in black gunk that gets all over everything and the nozzle looks like it has been through one of those gubmint gun-shredding machines...

...but not only that, this little piece of crap doesn't put out enough to fill a bicycle tire...

RANT OFF

Ain't that the truth? My bike tires need 100 to 110 PSI!!! At least the Kumho's on my car only use 44 PSI!

I may be dating myself here, but I remember when you pulled in to a gas station, wait for it, they actually came out and pumped the gas!

Yep, you're dating yourself. And the gas was 33 cents a gallon, too, for high test. Now I'm dating myself. (Interesting there's no cent-sign on the keyboard any more.)

There are a few states, though, where you CAN'T pump your own gas; it's illegal. NJ is one, I believe. They look at you there like you got broccoli in your ears if you even suggest it.

There are a few states, though, where you CAN'T pump your own gas; it's illegal. NJ is one, I believe. They look at you there like you got broccoli in your ears if you even suggest it.

I think NJ just repealed that one IIRC.

The other state is Oregon....state mandated jobs :angry2: .

Almost got into a fight with the attendant when I started pumping it myself and he came up and told me "Hey! you can't do that!" :surprise:<_< .

Thankfully that was many moons ago when I was 18 and pissed at the world........no longer........aw hell, who am I kidding :goof::lol::wacko:

:cheers: Glad to see I'm not the only one out here that remembers sub .50 gas prices. :P

There is a little gas station in the middle of nowhere GA that still gives full service... the guy makes a killing on tips too.

Thanks for listening to my rant... it helped to vent.

Best,

Jim

Edited by JThompson

Move to Oregon. You'll just love the "service." It is ILLEGAL to fill your own tank in Oregon. Nothing's as much fun as being in a hell of a hurry, needing gas, pulling into the station only to then wait 15 mins for some deadbeat to finish reading his comic book and shuffle out of the kiosk to pump your gas. He then "helps" you out by topping off the tank to the point where it floods the evaporation cannister, which then sets off the "check engine" light. The experience is concluded with another 15 minute wait while said punk walks off with your credit card.

Self service with pay-at-the-pump is a godsend if you ask me.

Move to Oregon. You'll just love the "service." It is ILLEGAL to fill your own tank in Oregon. Nothing's as much fun as being in a hell of a hurry, needing gas, pulling into the station only to then wait 15 mins for some deadbeat to finish reading his comic book and shuffle out of the kiosk to pump your gas. He then "helps" you out by topping off the tank to the point where it floods the evaporation cannister, which then sets off the "check engine" light. The experience is concluded with another 15 minute wait while said punk walks off with your credit card.

Self service with pay-at-the-pump is a godsend if you ask me.

:goof:

Boy, Eric, I dunno where you bought your petrol while in Oregon (yes, there's no self-serve here, and boy am I glad), but my 14+ years here in Eugene have been nothing but instant service, chatty conversation, windshield washes, and never having to leave your car. Even in the mini-serve (where you run your payment over to an office or a retail counter) sometimes the attendants will offer to run your payment in for you if they're not busy. Cripes, I couldn't ask for more. :bow:

With the devices they've invented to self-pump your petrol nowadays--those oversized hoses that you can't handle if you weigh less than 175#, or are disabled in ANY way whatsoever--you can't even manage the pumping without spills and embarrassments of all kinds. It sucks. I like full-serve or mini-serve gas stations... and yes, they DO provide jobs for all kinds of people. It's a great training ground for people to learn customer service skills and thinking on their feet during busy times. And the ones who DO know how to present good customer service skills are a joy to do business with and an asset to their respective employers. :wub:

Ha! I remember when cigarettes, ground beef and petrol were all $0.29pk/lb/gal. I could drive my Honda motorcycle for weeks on a couple of bucks. Wages were reasonable, rents were low. I was driving a red Jaguar XKE convertible and grossing $400/month at my office job... and buying motorcycles. Life was cheap. Very cheap. :surprise:

Well, and the price of petrol dropped from $3.60/gal to $2.99/gal here a couple of weeks ago. Life is no longer cheap. :angry2:

Also seen on a sign at a gas station in NJ... and I quote loosely since i don't remember the exact language...

'We're sorry but our service technicians are only trained to pump gas and cannot perform any other service to your vehicle'.

and I just give them that 'not on your life' look when i go to fill up my motorcycle. they just hand me the pump and i've never had a problem. try that with a car though and I think they'll send the 'trunk monkey' after you.

:cheers: Glad to see I'm not the only one out here that remembers sub .50 gas prices. :P

I remember them...but my grandmother was buying! :goof:

Oh great :) I remember .25 gas when I first started driving! Now I DO feel old! :)

Carl

When I started driving in high school you could get 260 Sunoco (highest octane available) for 31.9 per gallon and it was 3-4 cents higher than anything else. Then when there was a gas war some brands would get down in the very low 20s. You could also buy a pack of cigaretts, candy bar and a 16 oz bottled Pepsi and pay the deposit on the bottle and still get change back from a dollar. Great times back then.

When I started driving in high school you could get 260 Sunoco (highest octane available) for 31.9 per gallon and it was 3-4 cents higher than anything else. Then when there was a gas war some brands would get down in the very low 20s. You could also buy a pack of cigaretts, candy bar and a 16 oz bottled Pepsi and pay the deposit on the bottle and still get change back from a dollar. Great times back then.

5 bucks and we were set for the night. 2.00 in gas, 50 cents for a pack of cigs and enough left over for a couple of quarts of beer and off to cruising the jersey shore

Who remembers leaded gasoline? And the bright red color of premium gas?

I remember pulling into a gas station and handing the guy 75 cents and getting over 2 gallons of premium for my 69 Mach 1 on Friday nights. We used to pool our change and drive for hours on a few dollars.