Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA CLASSIFIER VIDEO

LeeIndy

I've never shot an IDPA Classifier, so it was interesting to see what it looks like.

Rather surprised at the amount of "gaming" (hand and body positions and no concealment) allowed.

Need what, 20 mags?

Looks like fun though.

Rather surprised at the amount of "gaming" (hand and body positions and no concealment) allowed.

Need what, 20 mags?

The IDPA classifier doesn't require the use of a concealment garment, the rulebook states it. As for hand and body positions, Lee exaggerated them more than I've ever seen. I'm not really sure how much it really gained him.

The IDPA classifier is 90 rounds. You really only need two magazines, a few more are handy.

mattk

i ran that one in a 99 sec with all my points down.

stages one and 2 i rarely go more than 5 points down total.

stage 3 i screwed up a little went 15 points down on one target, kept me from making master that day.

im new to 1911s.

i made master with a glock about 8 months ago. shot the same thing in 92 sec.

stage 3 always kills me. its hard to see the targets in that dark range well enough to double taps. i might bring in some flood lights one time.

any body else have some tips.

Since you asked, just one guy's opinion. None of this is meant to be harsh, but you asked for critique so here it is...

Overall, you are obviously a skill and practiced shooter. Of that there's no doubt. By the way, I love the sound track.

It looks like you're hitting the holster hard. Come in more from the side and you won't have so much down "umph" to overcome in drawing back up.

Also relax your start position. What you're doing they usually blame on IPSC shooters and call it "IPSC Monkey". I find I am actually a LOT faster if I am truly relaxed. I know you are probably trying to key your hands on a certain spot for a consistent draw, but with varied start positions it really won't help you. Guys used to do that crap, grabbing the end of the holster, or a special rivet in their jeans, but you won't see many of the really top flight guys doing that, RO's won't let them, so why practice that way?

Learn to just react crisply to the beep and hit the gun from the side, no wasted down force (unless you're using some goofy SSIII rig, which I doubt).

On the 2+1 drills (string 1-3) follow through on the head shot more. It's the last of the string, leave the gun there. I know it's "Limited" and you can't make it up, but you'll wiff it less if you're not rushing the gun back to reload. I know because this is one of my main bad habits right now.

Your reloads look really solid. Splits look faster than transitions, make sure you're snapping your eyes, and not tracking through the sights.

Overall looks really solid. Try that side approach on your draw and I bet you shave .20 off every one. :cheers:

Also, watch that muzzle whe you bent over you were very close to sweeping your head. :o

yeah i noticed that in the video.... :surprise: its just a bad angle. it was more down range than that. i would have gotten some nasty flash burn tho....yikes

string 3 - fire 2 shots each from behind cover - reload advance to barrel....

I like to do a tac reload rather than a RWR. It will allow you to start running forward earlier while you're stowing your mag.

ive tried that and i find im less fumble prone if i do it that way every time. its less likely to fumble with the 1911 but when i shoo the glock, xd, or cz i tend to drop the mag more often.

any body else have some tips.

Since you asked, just one guy's opinion. None of this is meant to be harsh, but you asked for critique so here it is...

Overall, you are obviously a skill and practiced shooter. Of that there's no doubt. By the way, I love the sound track.

It looks like you're hitting the holster hard. Come in more from the side and you won't have so much down "umph" to overcome in drawing back up.

Also relax your start position. What you're doing they usually blame on IPSC shooters and call it "IPSC Monkey". I find I am actually a LOT faster if I am truly relaxed. I know you are probably trying to key your hands on a certain spot for a consistent draw, but with varied start positions it really won't help you. Guys used to do that crap, grabbing the end of the holster, or a special rivet in their jeans, but you won't see many of the really top flight guys doing that, RO's won't let them, so why practice that way?

Learn to just react crisply to the beep and hit the gun from the side, no wasted down force (unless you're using some goofy SSIII rig, which I doubt).

On the 2+1 drills (string 1-3) follow through on the head shot more. It's the last of the string, leave the gun there. I know it's "Limited" and you can't make it up, but you'll wiff it less if you're not rushing the gun back to reload. I know because this is one of my main bad habits right now.

Your reloads look really solid. Splits look faster than transitions, make sure you're snapping your eyes, and not tracking through the sights.

Overall looks really solid. Try that side approach on your draw and I bet you shave .20 off every one. :cheers:

really good advice ill give it a shot Friday. if i can shace .2 off every presentation ill make that master im after.

ive made it in SSP but its easy. my xd comp gun should be back tomrrow. were gonna shoot the classifier this weekend im really hopeing for master in cdp and esp.

What'd you get done to it now Lee?

-DNM

new finish and new extractor along with match fit barrels in 9mm and 40. its my baby.

ive tried that and i find im less fumble prone if i do it that way every time.

Me, too. And I did it that way when I did make SSP Master.

i figure 5 gun master kelly mears can run the classifier in the sub 70s doing it the way i do i figure i just need to get better.

Not to rain on your parade, but are you becoming a master of the IDPA Classifier and not an IDPA Master? Shooting the Classifier over and over again seems a little bizarre to me. In my opinion the IDPA Classifier requires a different set of skills than are required in the typical local IDPA match, at least the 30 or so IDPA matches I've participated in. There is no doubt in my mind that a shooter with the skills to win an IDPA match will also classify well, I've seen it done. What I have yet to see is a shooter who practices the IDPA Classifier relentlessly and can win an IDPA match. Unfortunately, I don't have as many data points for this idea.

I think that would be an interesting study. Get two new shooters and give them different practice goals. Tell one shooter to achieve a Master classification by shooting the IDPA Classifier. Tell the other shooter to win IDPA matches by practicing whatever they felt they needed to practice. At the end of the study, have both shooters shoot the IDPA Classifier and then shoot an IDPA match. I think a comparison of the final results would be interesting.

mattk

Not to rain on your parade, but are you becoming a master of the IDPA Classifier and not an IDPA Master? Shooting the Classifier over and over again seems a little bizarre to me. In my opinion the IDPA Classifier requires a different set of skills than are required in the typical local IDPA match, at least the 30 or so IDPA matches I've participated in. There is no doubt in my mind that a shooter with the skills to win an IDPA match will also classify well, I've seen it done. What I have yet to see is a shooter who practices the IDPA Classifier relentlessly and can win an IDPA match. Unfortunately, I don't have as many data points for this idea.

I think that would be an interesting study. Get two new shooters and give them different practice goals. Tell one shooter to achieve a Master classification by shooting the IDPA Classifier. Tell the other shooter to win IDPA matches by practicing whatever they felt they needed to practice. At the end of the study, have both shooters shoot the IDPA Classifier and then shoot an IDPA match. I think a comparison of the final results would be interesting.

mattk

two entirely different things..results would not be the same..

LeeIndy,

I was kind of hinting at what a few people posted here earlier. Making Master on the classifier doesn't make you a Master. I realized this the hard way. I shot the classifier in 93 seconds with a revolver. Then I went and shot an IDPA match against a real IDPA ESR Master. I got my butt kicked- BAD!

If it's an ego thing, I understand. Just keep shooting with the goal of being the Division Champion. You'll eventually get bumped to Master anyway. Ironically, I know a lot of Master level shooters that can't shoot the classifier in Master times, and they aren't always easy to beat.

Good Luck.

I am of two minds on this....

BTW, I should mention, life was simpler before I made Master. I could say anything I wanted about IDPA Masters, and while it might be argued it was the theoretical musings of a non-Master, at least I could say I didn't have a dog in the fight. :lol: These days anything I say pooh-poohing the skills of an IDPA Master will probably sound like false modesty, anything positive like I'm patting myself on the back. Ah well, here goes:

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, yes, it's true the IDPA classifier doesn't test all the skills you'll need to win a match. The most glaring omission is that, except for Stage 3, String 2 there's no movement out of and into a shooting position - which is a huge part of IDPA. (USPSA, too.) And even S3/S2 is movement from a barricade to low cover, whereas in matches it will overwhelmingly be movement from vertical cover to vertical cover.

The IDPA classifier is a test of gun handling skill and marksmanship. Which are also huge pieces of the puzzle. The classifier measures the ability to do a fast and accurate draw, fire multiple accurate shots on the same target, head shots, transitions, RHO, LHO, pivoting draws, reloads both slidelock and otherwise, shooting while moving both toward and away from the target, barricade shooting, use of low cover, shooting at moderately long distance, etc. By the time you get your Master rating in IDPA, there are just a whole lot of things you have to be able to do really well. Does this by itself mean you'll win every match? No. But it does mean you'll have a lot of the pieces of the puzzle.

i shoot the classifier for simple reasons.

its fun.

it has several really good practice techniques.

and its easy to set up.

i do practice all other things. and i do win matches.

and 99% of the time im in the top 3.

i should also mention that i dont shoot the classifier over and over again. once every 2-3 weeks if i have time.