Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA CLASSIFIER VIDEO

LeeIndy

I wouldn't mind taking a gander as this IDPA Classifier. Never Shot IDPA and would like to see what it is like. Looks fairly simple.

I like the video and will let me set up my mini classifier.

Edited by Coolduckboy

• 1 month later...
I wouldn't mind taking a gander as this IDPA Classifier. Never Shot IDPA and would like to see what it is like. Looks fairly simple.

I like the video and will let me set up my mini classifier.

its a great way to practice. everything except lateral movement.

on my most recent one i ran a 85 from concealment. and before any one asks i shot it from concealment just because i can.

Lee,

On stage 3 on strings 1 and 2 you were doing Reloads with Retension and not Tactical Reload Loads as specified by the Classifier.

From IDPA website:

The key issue in the final stage is the "tactical reload." The RWR is much faster for me, I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything.

If it is ok to do a RWR instead of the specified Tactical Reloads where is that specified in the rulebook?

I was trying to get the reloads figured out today and just want to make sure I'm not confused.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Lee,

On stage 3 on strings 1 and 2 you were doing Reloads with Retension and not Tactical Reload Loads as specified by the Classifier.

From IDPA website:

The key issue in the final stage is the "tactical reload." The RWR is much faster for me, I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything.

If it is ok to do a RWR instead of the specified Tactical Reloads where is that specified in the rulebook?

I was trying to get the reloads figured out today and just want to make sure I'm not confused.

if you read the idpa rule book it says that when referring to a tactical reload it can be done either way.

Thanks, I have been reading the rulebook, but missed that they were interchangeable.

It is in the Apendix II Approved IDPA reloads in the preamble.

There is a lot to get your head around in learning another rulebook. :)

Good thing is I found some place to save time :D A Tactical Reload takes me forever, a RWR isn't quite as bad. Thanks again.

Your 85 run, how many points down total where you? Time and how many points down per stage?

i just moved across country and all my gear is gumbled around when i find the sheet ill let you know but i know i didnt drop more than 5 points on stages 1 & 2 combined and i think i droped 5 points on stage 3

Thanks, I have been reading the rulebook, but missed that they were interchangeable.

It is in the Apendix II Approved IDPA reloads in the preamble.

There is a lot to get your head around in learning another rulebook. :)

Good thing is I found some place to save time :D A Tactical Reload takes me forever, a RWR isn't quite as bad. Thanks again.

quick find. try doing it the way i posted on xdtalk in the gun games section. its much more reliable and faster. no missing your pocket or only getting it half in and haveing to pick it up later in the stage.

In reviewing the video's, I agree with some previous posters in regards to your ready position. I'm surprised that the SO did not say anything about your starting position. Hands should be hanging naturally at sides and you should be standing straight up, not with the knees bent. This is rigorously enforced at all of the IDPA matches in our area.

In reviewing the video's, I agree with some previous posters in regards to your ready position. I'm surprised that the SO did not say anything about your starting position. Hands should be hanging naturally at sides and you should be standing straight up, not with the knees bent. This is rigorously enforced at all of the IDPA matches in our area.

after hearing those complaint i looked into it and we had gotten lax. i redid all my classifiers with a legal start.

• 11 months later...

Blast from the past!

Any easy way to make up two to three seconds for you is to do a tac load on the 5 minute mark in your vid. Get the new mag out first and swap them, once it is seated, you can run to the barrel while also stowing the old mag. I think I picked that up from the Matt Burkett IDPA video.

Two to three seconds? I think not. I actually tested this by running S3/S2 ten times using a RWR, ten times using a Tac-Load, then comparing the scores, measuring only the time interval between the last shot at the barricade and the first shot at the barrel. What I found was that I was about half a second faster with a Tac-Load than a RWR when everything went right.

The problem is that when using a RWR on S3/S1, then switching to a Tac-Load on the very next string, everything doesn't always go right. I found the necessity to switch between reload techniques between strings would often screw me up. I'd hesitate at the moment of the reload because I wasn't sure which technique I should be using. Finally I decided to simplify and just do RWRs for both strings. The surety that comes from using the same technique both times, for me, is much more desirable than a possible half second advantage that, in reality, often turns into a several second deficit.

Classifier is limited vickers and not a scenario stage which would require concealment. I can't find the direct wording in the handbook now either. Never needed concealment at any classifiers I've shot at.

Classifier is limited vickers and not a scenario stage which would require concealment. I can't find the direct wording in the handbook now either. Never needed concealment at any classifiers I've shot at.

Agree.

It's all standards. Standards don't require concealment. The idea is to not have concealment to get a better comparison for all shooters.

Agree.

It's all standards. Standards don't require concealment. The idea is to not have concealment to get a better comparison for all shooters.

To continue the drift of Oscar's thread a bit more:

Since the classifier is used to choose competition levels for matches and since concealment is used in the majority of stages in the typical match, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use concealment for this exercise? Like you said, standards don't require concealment, but nowhere is it written that you can't use it! Just a thought.

Now everybody go watch Oscar's video...

Later,

Chuck

A01062