Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DEPLOYMENT VACCINATIONS!

North

For most vaccines, it takes ~14 days post-vaccination to get an sufficient antibody response to provide a minimally-adequate level of protection.

The only two vaccines that cannot be given simultaneously are yellow fever + cholera (cholera vax not widely used).

If this is your first Hep B vaccination, there are two more to come -- at ~28 days and at ~6 months after today. That completes the series. Immunity from those three doses can last decades.

Live virus vaccines are transmissible to household contacts. That's why some vaccinees are told to avoid people who have a compromised immune system: pregnancy, on high-dose steroids, on chemotherapy, or otherwise immunosuppressed.

Having received four vaccines, I'm sure you're starting to hurt. Unless there is some reason NOT to use this (ask your doc if there are any questions), taking some over-the-counter analgesic or anti-inflammatory for the next couple of days should make you feel better.

Good luck. I know this is miserable. Keep your yellow card after you're discharged, it'll help the civvy docs who take care of you later.

See also www.cdc.gov

Man...you got all the gnarly ones at the same time.

Smallpox is the only biggie of those 'cause of having to protect the site. Avoid contact with the site and especially the fluid and you'll be fine. Dress with opsite (spelling) dressings and you'll be good.

Anthrax FREAKIN' HURTS! :angry2:

Rich

Man...you got all the gnarly ones at the same time.

Smallpox is the only biggie of those 'cause of having to protect the site. Avoid contact with the site and especially the fluid and you'll be fine. Dress with opsite (spelling) dressings and you'll be good.

Rich

I don't remember whether it was the typhus or yellow fever shot, but one of those two knocked me on my @ss for two days...I was curled up in bed wearing sweats and freezing....ugh.

:P I remember getting all those fun vaccinations in '91, pre-deployment. A gym full of physically ill troopers, and DAMN those tetanus shots were shoulder killers. Funny now, but not too funny then at all. Hang in there, North, it gets better, and +1 on hanging on to that little yellow vacc card.

+1 to that brother! and they dont get better as you go through the series...just something to look forward to! :lol:

+10000000

Anthrax sucks like no other

and G, it's the thyphoid that makes you sick as a dog. My smallpox from when I was a kid on Guam was still good, so when they gave it to me again in 04, it went away almost instantly.

+1 to that brother! and they dont get better as you go through the series...just something to look forward to! :lol:

+10000000

Anthrax sucks like no other

and G, it's the thyphoid that makes you sick as a dog. My smallpox from when I was a kid on Guam was still good, so when they gave it to me again in 04, it went away almost instantly.

Anthrax feels like a someone lit a match under your skin. I deployed 3 days after getting the smallpox shot, so i was nursing a nasty, itchy sore on my shoulder for 2 weeks.

My brother in law just got his this week, his wife is pregnant and the docs told him to not hug or kiss her due to possible infection....? hmmm

Uncle was nice to me - he made sure I didn't see my wife for about a year after I got mine...

Anthrax FREAKIN' HURTS!

It's even better when you get the full series and later find out only the first one made it to your records. :angry2:

Wow

Now I remember how much fun those were :surprise:

I would protect my shot record at all costs!!!

Saw several poor folks get it all at once..in line to board the air craft.....they lost their shot records :unsure:

Most of the bad ones made me feel like crap for some time.

Believe me I feel for you!!!

Jim

Anthrax feels like a someone lit a match under your skin.

Burns and leaves a golf ball size lump.

Edit - And I'd stay away from a pregnant wife if you just got smallpox.

Edited by BNorth

I don't remember which one they said would cause body/joint aches, but the tendinitis i was almost over is flaring up like freaking crazy. I think it was the anthrax but I'm not sure. Yea my right shoulder got the Anthrax, typhoid and Hep "B" it is sore as a ... right now.

I remember in basic that someone got sick so they gave everyone a penicillin shot in the buttocks and the Drill Instructor thought running a few miles would help work out the soreness right away. Man that guy was great.

I still remember hearing all the draftees screaming going through the line and getting shots in both arms (needles no air guns) and the drop the drawers gamma gobulin shot. South East Asia had a different set of diseases.

Wow

Now I remember how much fun those were :surprise:

I would protect my shot record at all costs!!!

Saw several poor folks get it all at once..in line to board the air craft.....they lost their shot records :unsure:

Most of the bad ones made me feel like crap for some time.

Believe me I feel for you!!!

Jim

I remember way back when, after I came out of Nam and went to Germany...we had civilians doing all the grunge work and the medics did not pull any bad duties..till we got a new Top Sgt....on guard duty and some other stuff..we had an old and wise Sgt who called up to the orderly room to inform Top we could not reconcile his shots with his medical records and he would have to take all of them again..about 14 or so immunizations...he said ok and took them...we were still on the duty rooster...about 10 days later and we again complained to our Sgt...being the wise person he was, he again called the Top Sgt and told him that amazingly, we had lost his shot records again but we would schedule him to receive the immunizations next day...at that point Top made the connection and the medics were taken off the duty rooster..and guess what, we did manage to find his shot records so he did not have to take the immunizations..LOL....

Also being the one who typed the discharge physicals in my crew, and knowing how many times they got lost or separated from your discharge paperwork, I had another set in my hand when I was discharged, and sure enough, mine somehow got lost...told them, NO problem and took the other set out of my bag and gave it to them on the spot..they just smiled and I was processed...got to look out for those SNAFU's in the military..