Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911

Oh, yeah. Early last year, they told me August. LAST August.

I had even seen a Metalform price list with them at a match in Fall 2005, but they told me it was premature.

I guess that is progress. When I first saw the 8-round Xtended .45 I lobbied them for a 10 rnd 9mm or .38. This was during the AWB Klinton Klip years and they told me that they would not make one because they feared that somebody might be able to cram in an eleventh shot and put them in violation.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have worked on .45 Minor ESP along with Joe, but it is not a New Thing.

I think you and Joe should tell us more about these 9-round .45acp magazines. <grin>

Is it a modification (spring and/or follower cut?), or a brand that's for sale?

I still say that if you find 9+1 capacity a real advantage - five double taps and reload for the next whole target - that the MD is not doing his job to mix up the CoFs. Ought to be a good number of 3 hit target stages and some steel.

Oh, I won't argue. I don't shoot that much IDPA, but in my area it's pretty active, with one of the best IDPA clubs in the country an hour or so away. Quite a few stages have steel, activators, etc., but day-in day-out, I'd rather have 9+1 in my Glock, say, than 10+1 for IDPA, if that were possible....It's a minor advantage in maybe 4 out of every 6 stages.

I think you and Joe should tell us more about these 9-round .45acp magazines.

Is it a modification (spring and/or follower cut?), or a brand that's for sale?

Vat, you vish the plans for the secret veapon?

What I did (or had done, I am NRA Mechanically Inept) was to approach FLG (Friendly Local Gunsmith) with my obsolete 10 round Metalform and Ed Brown magazines. (The Browns look just like the Metalform except for a more substantial overinsertion stop spot welded on the front edge.)

He cut the bottom off the 10 round magazines to where they would fit The Box with a little clearance for easy insertion and recovery. Angle is not the same as stock, the base is more nearly parallel to the barrel than the butt. Then he ripped the floorplates out of the cutoff bottoms, and silver soldered them into the end of the shortened tube. He cut them off so they do not project ahead of the tube in the usual lip.

I substituted Shooting Star followers for the round Metalform followers and clipped the springs just enough to allow loading nine rounds and seating the magazine under a closed slide. I dipped the bottom half inch of the mags in Plastisol tool handle coating in lieu of a base pad.

Joe's are different, he rolled lips on the bottom of the cut tube and used some sort of slide on floorplate.

Anyone with 9mm mag problems should try Wolff extra power mag springs. Brownells has them. I had issues with Mecgars until I transitioned to them.

The Springfield/Leatham mag is the 9mm solution. It feeds smother and more reliably than any other. Not all Metalforms are of that design, though--there's an unmistakable notch or groove down the front. Unfortunately, they're ridiculously expensive ($42 with bumper @ Brownells).

Although I shoot a 9mm 1911 and think it's great, I think the recent interest in the gun is a search for a magic bullet, so to speak. It's not. If you like your Glock, for example, you can shoot it as well as anything. There's more to be gained from upgrading software than hardware.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an e-mail from Metalform saying that their 10 round 9mm magazines are ready for public sale. They are not on their website, so you'll have to call them to order. I have no connection with Metalform and cannot attest to the magazine’s performance.

I just got an e-mail from Metalform saying that their 10 round 9mm magazines are ready for public sale. They are not on their website, so you'll have to call them to order. I have no connection with Metalform and cannot attest to the magazine’s performance.

cost?

Gregory K,

Are the mags(the tube itself) flush with the frame of a full sized 1911 or do they stick out?

unkown ATM. I got home late last night, did not see the box untill this 6am sitting on the pourch. I plan to see how the mags seat. They look "about" the same length as my other SS magazines.

Ouch, $33.50 a mag. Now I have to decide if 1 more round is worth it.

Is 33.50 worth an extra round!!! Of course it is lol. I just spent 99$ for 3 new Dawson basepads to get extra rounds in 60$ mags! I bought a 9mm eagle for an extra round in esp....well that and it had a .40 topend for limited!

Now my poor 9mm springfield 1911 just sits in the safe for a trainer/loaner/back up gun :-) I was the second owner and don't know if anybody did any work to it before but it has always ran fine with Kimber mags and either ISMI springs or Wolffs I can't remember what I used.

mags are about as long as a 9 round magazine with basedpad. the tube does stick out below the grip. The front bumper (cobramag basepad) sits flush with the grip frame.

I tried 5 10 round strings on one magazine. No failures to feed Like I've gotten with 10 round 38 Super mags. :cheers:

32 for a 9 round SA mag, or 33.75 for 10 rounds of 9mm, not a hard choice.

picture50uj6.th.jpg

picture49yb9.th.jpg

picture48xv9.th.jpg

1.3 Megpixle :sick:

Buy 40 and the price drops to less than half the single retail, $10 less than the 7-39 rate. Sounds like time for a group buy or somebody to buy a bunch and sell them at matches. You could buy 40 and sell 30 of them for say $25 each, be shooting for free, and still give the other guys a good deal.

I will hang on and see if they offer similar .38 Supers with their round follower. Even with the extra length, I like that follower because it grabs the slide stop so well.

Wonder why they didn't make the 9mms in Front Ramp style?

Edited by Jim Watson

Any chance of getting a pic with it inserted in the gun?

Thanks.

+1 on the additional pics. I called MetalForm and they were unable to tell me if the new 10 round version used the same design as the Front Ramp 9 round version that they sell. Is there a crease running down the entire length of the front edge of the tube?

I'm having great luck with my 9 round Front Ramp version mags...especially now that I've cleaned them....

Edited by WickedBag

Do they have the comparable 10-round .38 Supers in production yet?

If so, do they have round or flat followers?

I actually prefer the Metalform Super 9-round magazines with round followers even for 9mm; they are so positive on the slide stop and feed roundnose just fine.