Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes USPSA special?

Nemo

The author should've shared it with us here.

What makes USPSA...special ?

I don't know about the area you live in, around my area I have many different shooting games that I can choose from.

Lets see if I can name all the local stuff:

- Bowling Pins

- Steel Challenge

- NRA Action Pistol

- IDPA

- Cowboy Action

- High Power

- Rattle Battle (huh?)

- Silouette

- Bulls-eye

- We have a popular pistol match locally that isn't affiliated with USPSA or IDPA

- Then there are the shotgun sports, archery, etc.

Now, some of that stuff isn't as appealing to me as others. I clearly prefer USPSA style shooting. So, what makes USPSA special?

For me to figure that out, I can't help but think of what Brian Enos has written/taught. Brian talks about boiling things down until you are left with the fundamentals of a thing...the essential part or parts.

We can shoot any game. I ask myself what makes USPSA special. I can come up with many things. We use different guns than some games. We have more movement than other games. We have longer cof's that allow us to test a variety of skills at once. I could go on, and you probably have some aspect of it that tickles you fancy. But, when I start to boil it down...when it get down to the essential elements...the thing that stands out is that USPSA shooting is Freestyle.

We are free to solve the shooting problem presented to us. We are allowed to use our brains. That may be the biggest shooting test of all. We get to do it our way. And, we get to live with the results...good or bad. We stand on the line and put it out there. If somebody thinks their way is better...they can step up and show us. We compete on a larger scale...including the brain. And, through that, we learn more...compete better...maybe even think better. Freedom.

As per the rules he (the author) so efficiently enforces, I left out his last paragraph because of mild political content.

Thanks, KF!

I honestly think tha the thing that makes USPSA shooting special is the people. If this sport were populated by snobs, as some other sports, both shooting and non-shooting are, it wouldnot be special. USPSA is full of some of the best people I have ever met.

Yes, all the rest counts too, but no matter how good USPSA style shooting is, if the people in it sucked, so to would the sport and I deal with enough suck in real life that I don't need to deal with it when I am supposed to be having fun.

Jim

I honestly think tha the thing that makes USPSA shooting special is the people. If this sport were populated by snobs, as some other sports, both shooting and non-shooting are, it wouldnot be special. USPSA is full of some of the best people I have ever met.

Yes, all the rest counts too, but no matter how good USPSA style shooting is, if the people in it sucked, so to would the sport and I deal with enough suck in real life that I don't need to deal with it when I am supposed to be having fun.

Jim

That comment pretty much sums it up for me :)

Jim

I heard it put this way once:

I came for the shooting,

I stayed because of the people.

I like being given a set of rules for a game. The same rules for everyone. Then you make your way as best you can. It is as individual a sport as I can think of.

But then, you have the people. everyone is willing to help, everyone has a suggestion or idea that you are free to use or discard.

It's also neat how most of the "bad eggs" just seem to go away after awhile.

Great topic, Flex (and Nemo :-) )

dj

Edited by dajarrel

The ONLY "deadly weapon" is found between the ears! The rest is meerly a way to facilitate the desire to impart that force to the outside, be it for good or bad!

As to the people in USPSA, or any shooting sport,: there also good and bad, but they are far beyond the average and I enjoy them immensly! But Please quit telling me there is a magazine in My pistol when I get to the match as it is SUPPOSED to be loaded untill I can get to the clearing area so I can be empty to shoot the match :wacko:

I came for the shooting,

I stayed because of the people.

+1, but I'd add:

I keep coming back for the competition! There is a feeling that I get from winning local matches, only to have my head served on a platter at a major level, that keeps me coming back for MORE!

And I like the sun on by bare noggin.

i had a long list of things...and then i realized they'd all apply to most other shooting sports too. what i think separates uspsa from the others is the freestyle component. that applies to both stage design and the way we shoot stages...there's so much variety (within matches, and between matches). and the higher round counts...while i like a good short stage (swingin' six at area 5 looked really cool), i love a well thought out 32 round stage...

To me it is the people, and what makes the people so special is this:

easy to get along with

creative thinkers

either own something,run something or lead something

very competitive, but always patting you on the back for a great run

thrill seekers

The only other thing that makes USPSA so special is that it ALWAYS provides a significant challenge to your mind and your fine motor skills like golf but much better. The ultimate gentlemans sport.

Rules keep us safe. Large COF's make it fun. Round count, cool gear, big mags, it's all good. But, as previously stated, " I came for the shooting, I stayed for the people". The people. :)

Bob Johnson

Edited by Rojo

• 4 weeks later...

Let's see.... I participate in Olympic Style Fencing, SASS, IDPA, USPSA, and Archery. All of them I enjoy, and for different reasons. I am a competitor at heart, and that is what makes the difference for me. Many people can do any ONE of these sports better than I can, but few can do all of them as well as I can. I compare my experience to a decathalete in that they are never the best at all of the events, but put together all their accomplishments few are better.

USPSA like most every sport that I participate in has great competitors and camaradie I have found. :D