Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GP Motorcycle Racing

George

Can't wait to get an update. :goof:

AKA: is there any news?

Hi Henny. Been busy at work makin' the money to do this for the last couple weeks. Also been building a website for one of the top race tuners in the US for the last 3 weeks. Getting his parts biz back up to par with a full webstore after he lost share to other web competitors. This gets me the best tuning advice available and good parts pricing, so it is very good progress in many ways. I am aso learning the model lines real well ;)

http://www.accu-products.com/

The bike is close to finished but hit a snag when it started losing air pressure instead of passing what is called "Leakdown Testing" A 2-stroke race bike crankcase has to hold 5+ PSI for 15 minutes plus to be safe to race. Mine didn't and now I am tracking a persnickety air leak.

Another thing taking longer thananticipated is fitting a thermostat to the cooling system along with relocating the radiator temp gauge to the new coolant loop. Custom fittings are being made and will be here in under a week. I am also adding a realtime EGT reading system to help with carburetor jetting and engine management (Exhaust Gas Temperature). Trick stuff I decided had to be done before calling it ready to race.

The paint job is done and waiting for number plates and decals (round tuit problem at the moment). I did the paint myself using advanced spraycan techniques (many, many coats of color and clear with lotsa' prep between, 4 days dry time between coats and a bold as heck application technique, THICK, THICK and THICKER!).

Here are some images with the newly painted bodywork mostly in place for parts fitup. Note how the red/silver stripe motif matches the leathers. The fairing nose and the sides of the tail section will be covered by die-cut vinyl number plate decals and the fairing and lower cowling sides will be plastered with sponsor decals The lower cowling is still drying from its last clear coat so it is not fitted up in these pix:

post-749-1194036662.jpg

post-749-1194036811.jpg

post-749-1194036857.jpg

More later.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't wait to get an update. :goof:

AKA: is there any news?

Hi Henny. Been busy at work makin' the money to do this for the last couple weeks. Also been building a website for one of the top race tuners in the US for the last 3 weeks. Getting his parts biz back up to par with a full webstore after he lost share to other web competitors. This gets me the best tuning advice available and good parts pricing, so it is very good progress in many ways. I am aso learning the model lines real well ;)

http://www.accu-products.com/

The bike is close to finished but hit a snag when it started losing air pressure instead of passing what is called "Leakdown Testing" A 2-stroke race bike crankcase has to hold 5+ PSI for 15 minutes plus to be safe to race. Mine didn't and now I am tracking a persnickety air leak.

Another thing taking longer thananticipated is fitting a thermostat to the cooling system along with relocating the radiator temp gauge to the new coolant loop. Custom fittings are being made and will be here in under a week. I am also adding a realtime EGT reading system to help with carburetor jetting and engine management (Exhaust Gas Temperature). Trick stuff I decided had to be done before calling it ready to race.

The paint job is done and waiting for number plates and decals (round tuit problem at the moment). I did the paint myself using advanced spraycan techniques (many, many coats of color and clear with lotsa' prep between, 4 days dry time between coats and a bold as heck application technique, THICK, THICK and THICKER!).

Here are some images with the newly painted bodywork mostly in place for parts fitup. Note how the red/silver stripe motif matches the leathers. The fairing nose and the sides of the tail section will be covered by die-cut vinyl number plate decals and the fairing and lower cowling sides will be plastered with sponsor decals The lower cowling is still drying from its last clear coat so it is not fitted up in these pix:

post-749-1194036662.jpg

post-749-1194036811.jpg

post-749-1194036857.jpg

More later.

George, you need new tires, those are slick... :lol:

Thanks TL, now that's funny LOL

I do have a raggedy-azz set of used Dunlops on the white painted spare wheels that I will actually use to do my test riding, but think the brand spankin' new slicks on the black Marchesini wheels look way better for my poser photos ;)

OK, found the leak. Turned out I was using a diluted solution of 409 and water. It wasn't bubblin' worth poop! Using full strength Fantastic (409 straight still doesn't bubble as well) it bubbled up like a soaped water fountain (local yearly high school prank thing in my youth).

This image shows that the intake manifold to reed valve cage interface is the leak point (the black rubber carburetor boot and gold anodized reed valve plate junction is leak point, not the gasketed interface to the engine case forward of that) . Looks like the area is just slightly bowed from over-torquing and the flange is not sealing properly anymore. I am going to check the interface and mill flat if needed and then butter it with Yamabond #4 sealant and test again later this week. This level of fix should pretty much settle the issue once and for all and BAM, it's heat cycle time folks :-)

post-749-1194217923.jpg

I will hopefully have my hands on a gallon of VP C-12 race fuel by the weekend and will able to fire it up and tool it around my industrial park road loop Saturday afternoon when the area is deserted ;)

Lookout, the 4-stokes are comin', the 4-stokes are coming!

Interesting but not what I wanna' race. Wide powerband, who needs a stinkin' wide powerband! Everyone knows a real racing bike should have a powerband like a light switch ;):surprise:

But seriously folks, these are possibly the wave of the future, at least as far as Honda is concerned so we better get used to them :-( Towards the goal of weaning folks off their 2-stroke racers, Honda just raised the cost of replacement pistons for the RS series of 125/250 production racers to over $150 apiece! The Yamaha TZ series pistons still go for $50-$70. Glad I stayed/went Yamaha :-)

Found a 5 gallon can of VP C-12 locally and am now just about ready to fire this suckah' up :-) Just waiting on the last parts shipment that has the custom cooling system stuff I had made.

More later, stay tuned!

First a couple Track Days and then my NRS. After that we will be getting "Fast-N-Furious" again!

Man' I just can't wait to tip this little jewel into a high speed sweeper way, way too fast!!! ;)

Here is what I have to do first to get onto a race start grid:

http://www.afmracing.org/index.php?option=...2&Itemid=40

I have my race number and am a FY (first year) member. Now I need to get signed off at a 3rd party NRS (New Racer School):

http://www.keigwin.com/schools.htm

I figure one to two track days and then the NRS. I hope to hit my first race start grid in Feb 2008.

• 2 months later...

OK, bike is in it's rashed up bodywork and old OEM wheels with twice used Dunlops on them. It is ready for first track day and New Racer School as soon as I can make a free weekend from work.

Had to cancel the Feb 16th, 17th bookimg as work reared it's ugly head. Need money to race and work makes money ;)

Bike has been tested and tweaked and is ready for full on track testing now. Pix of the TZ125 in it's testing livery and with tire warmers on (just for fun):

post-749-1202531228.jpg

post-749-1202531211.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK, just got back from practice day at Sears Point Infineon Raceway. Not riding this round but doing a bang-up biz on renting on-board video systems to racers.

We have some on-board racing footage posted at our website:

http://www.axialvideo.com/

Also check out the rifle-cam footage we have posted from the Bay Area Rifle Championship earlier this month. I mounted one of our Mini DVR video systems right on my rifle for the whole match :-)

• 7 months later...

OK, been out to a couple track days and am ready to take the next available NRS (New Racer School) to get my license for the 2009 race season.

Here is picture of me on my TZ125 getting ready to go out for a riding session at a track day event a couple months ago.

post-749-1228245695_thumb.jpg

The RS125 on the right is my buddy Marcus who missed out winning the 2008 AFM Formula III championship by two measly points because of an administrative issue at the first race of the season :-(

I have put about 250 miles on the bike so far and man, is it fast compared to what I rode back in the late seventies. It will outrun liter bikes up to 100mph and corners and stops like nothing I have ever ridden before!

I wish they would televise the 125 motoGP races.

I read about the 125's and It sounds like a race of careful mistake free driving

right at the edge of traction.

..... hell I can't drive a 125 Kart there....

I can only imagine what a blast it would be.

do you keep the bike leaned over for the diameter reduction after the turn straightens?

given the relative lack of power compared to bigger engines

is power sliding as much of a no-no as it is in a racekart?

miranda

Howdy y'all.

Here is my buddy Marcus smoking the crowd in 125gp (Formula 3) at Buttonwillow Raceway at the last race of the 2008 AFM season.

On-board with Marcus Henderson, AFM #67

The camera is one of our tiny Mini systems like I used on my AR at the last Bay Area Rifle Championship. Here is stage 8/

BTW, the 2009 BARC date has been set. July 26th.

2009 BARC Info

Marcus is scary fast for a club racer and won most of the races he was in this season by a wide margin. The MotoGP 125's make that kinda' pace look slow!! I have some MotoGP 125cc races as windows media and will post one later to show you the way the pro's go at it.