Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GP Motorcycle Racing

George

George, are you going to use tire warmers? Or is the generator for your blender?

Don't forget a low, six-foot table to work on the bike without stooping.

I made a couple visits to the photographer's trailer this weekend just for the air conditioning, aaahhhh. We don't need fans in the pits at Fernley, we have the desert winds.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erik,

I have 3 lightweight/heavy duty folding utility tables and I just finished the base carpentry for a pair of portable motorcycle work stands of my own design. 18" high, 1 @ 6' (TZ125) and 1 @ 7' (TR650 and bigger GP bike). The table weighs 60 lbs including legs and can support over 1000 lbs. The legs are 2" steel pipe with stomper feet bolted onto pipe flanges. The legs unthread from matching flanges under the platform tops. Total parts cost was under $100 for both work stands. A standard 7' folding motorcycle ramp will clip on one end in pre-drilled cleat holes and BAM! EZ-Roll-Up work tables baby! They will be finished and painted (flat black) by end of week and I will post pictures.

Yeah, I am getting and using tire warmers (first lap is WFO from corner numero uno' ifnya' got warmers). I will also have an electric chiller and several fans for drying off. I also plan on some electric lighting for evening work and a dish for internet and lotsa' TV channels for my little flat screen. Might even sell wifi access and TV hookup taps to folks that want some for themselves ;)

You will always be welcome to pit next door and share the wealth (10x20 canopy with detachable sides and lots more goodies too numerous to mention).

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Bike has arrived and is being carefully checked over and prepped for it's first track outing in the middle of October (New Racer School to get checked out for my AFM racing license).

Here is quick shot of the bike on a work stand at my warehouse:

post-749-1189357738.jpg

Still two to three weeks until my leathers are done. In the meantime I will just have to content myself with primping the bike and going Vroom, Vroom ;)

Sponsors so far are two local bars my friend owns and my web design company (write off!). I am working a deal with a painting company and a tire company and have requests in to Galfer, Regina and Motul through my Sponsorhouse account.

I have built up a racing team website and am actively soliciting. I am also building pro-bono websites for some experienced local racers who are in return pimping me to their existing sponsors and trading parts/knowledge.

Here is my racing team website:

http://www.makumozo.com/racing/

Here is a site I just finished for a local racer (who placed 5th yesterday at Thunderhill in FIII against stiff competition)

http://www.agaperacing.com/

A747 for the Pre-Mix (of course) and Motorex 10/30 synthetic gear oil in the tranny. Why bother with a 30+ year old 2 stroke oil in the tranny when modern stuff that works better exists. But interestingly enough, the manual for the 2000 model (4JT7) still calls for R-30 in the tranny box. It is still a good oil, but few choose to use it nowadays compared to a "real" gear oil ;)

Just finished stripping the exhaust pipe and will be giving it fresh paint later today. The black Marchesini wheels are back on it now. When the livery gets it's repaint, it's gonna' be a real sharp 'sheen yesiree!

I will just have to content myself with primping the bike and going Vroom, Vroom

Wrong sound! Brring, briiinng, braaaaAAAAAAP!

I had an instructor tell me how much he enjoyed smelling and hearing my bike as he followed me yesterday. With my bike I can't hide the fact when I'm closed or neutral throttle versus on the gas.

With my bike I can't hide the fact when I'm closed or neutral throttle versus on the gas.

That's no joke with the 2-Smokers ;)

I just can' make that "Ring Ding" thing sound cool so it's the old childhood standby "Vroom Vroom" for me whenever I make stupid motor noises :-)

BTW, just locked in my deal with DC Decals as one of my 2008 sponsors. They make high quality die cut decal lettering and custom logos. Beats the heck outa' painting stuff on and then re-painting after you crash (no matter what you think, sooner or later you will crash when you race).

Great product, reasonable prices and fast delivery (Do I know how to pimp my sponsors, or what?). Remember DC Decals whenever you need to add that special touch:

http://www.dcdecals.net/

Just finished the mechanical tear-down, check and re-assemble from stem to stern. It's cherry and pretty much new everywhere. Cleaned up the second set of bodywork and spare tank today. Will rattle-can them in the final design I have for the bike, add the yellow novice number plates and run it like that for my first 6 races (takes 6 races to stamp your expert license). The good set of bodywork and tank will go out for professional recreation of my rattle-can mockup with white number plates (run them when done as a novice).

Here is a new picture from earlier today. I had just buttoned it up after finishing the front end tech check and changing out to the original black Marchesini wheels. It also has the brand new Bridgestone slicks on it now. The work stand it is on is something I custom built. It has 2" pipe legs that unthread and it weighs no more than the $3-500 commercial folding tables made for at track use. Cost me $60 :-)

post-749-1189735440.jpg

The only things still to do mechanically are drain and flush the cooling system (looks clean, but why take chances) and add the Guhl Racing Thermostat to the coolant loop. Then it will be ready to take up to Kevin Murray at MCE Racing (based at Thunderhill Raceway Park) to have a final checkover done and to have him do the engine break-in on his Dyno. This will get me a perfectly running engine that is jetted properly and pulls full revs down the straightawy from the git-go ;)

Kevin is the main man locally with these little beasties. I will get my first ride on it up at Thunderhill as soon as he is done with it (mid-octoberish). Then pass my NRS (New Racer School) and Bam, it's off to the races for moi! :-)

http://www.mce-racing.com/

http://www.thunderhill.com/

More later,

Heat Cycle is 4-6k rpm until it reaches 62C and then a full cool off. 3 heat cycles are optimum prior to break-in. Break-in is 8-10k rpm no full load, variable throttle for 10-15 minutes, or 40km. Do not exceed 72C temp. Two passes like this and BAM! full throttle and peg the tach baby! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the leathers arrived yesterday. Now I have all my riding gear, but the bike rebuild is stalled halfway back together due to no letup at work and a new web project (motorcycle racing partts webstore: http://www.accu-products.com/ )

Here is me posing in all of my new gear.

Note the spiffy red skull pattern knee sliders :-)

post-749-1192165010.jpg

post-749-1192165023.jpg

• 3 weeks later...