Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Useless parlor trick

HSMITH

Anyone else tried? I just changed a scope out because the batteries lasted ONE match, mounted a new scope, looked at something about 20 feet away, closed my eyes and indexed on that spot I was looking at. Open eyes to see where the dot is and adjust. About 4 or 5 rounds of this and the dot was where I wanted it to be, so I went and shot the gun to see where it printed. It was about an inch left at 15 yards, and two inches low, close enough to shoot a local match with anyway. I dialed it in the rest of the way with 3 more shots, but I thought it was sort of cool that the index was close enough to get the thing on paper. Just curious if anyone else has tried anything as silly as this?

Anyone else tried? I just changed a scope out because the batteries lasted ONE match, mounted a new scope, looked at something about 20 feet away, closed my eyes and indexed on that spot I was looking at. Open eyes to see where the dot is and adjust. About 4 or 5 rounds of this and the dot was where I wanted it to be, so I went and shot the gun to see where it printed. It was about an inch left at 15 yards, and two inches low, close enough to shoot a local match with anyway. I dialed it in the rest of the way with 3 more shots, but I thought it was sort of cool that the index was close enough to get the thing on paper. Just curious if anyone else has tried anything as silly as this?

What do you need a scope for then? For that matter, why do you need any sights?

Just curious if anyone else has tried anything as silly as this?

Yes, with similar results.

I had to change dot modules and noticed that the dot was not in the same place, it was WAY off. I moved the dot to where I thought it should be and it was within 2" of perfect@15yds.

racer, I shoot some targets exactly like this, but most of the time confirmed sighted shots are the way to go......

I do that too - out to 10 yards sometimes. Usually full targets that are less than 3 yards.

What do you need a scope for then? For that matter, why do you need any sights?

Can't see 'em lift if they're not there... :rolleyes:

Try this:

Punch the dead primer out of a sized, fired case and insert the mouth of the case into the muzzle of your comp so that it is snug. Remove the firing pin and spring and loosely chuck your gun in a vise angled so that you can see a wall 15 or 20 feet away. Look through the firing pin hole and the firing pin hole in the empty case stuck in the muzzle and adjust/align the gun, sighting through these two holes, with a spot (like a target paster) on the wall. Lock the gun in place to hold this alignment and now you can adjust your scope to sight up on this same dot. That will get you pretty much sighted in for live fire so at most you will make minor corrections to fine tune.

Saves some ammo and a little time.

I put a gun in a vise and marked the wall where the old dot was and set up the new one to the same spot. It was close needed minor adjustment.

I use the same method but have the dot on a wall about 15 yards away. The dot has never needed adjustment when aligned with the old dot.