Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Can See

JThompson

The Dot! Wow what a dif going from a six to an eight. I don't know why I ever used that six. I sure wish I would have had this at the sectional. I've always had to run my 6 on max. With the 8 I can run it 3/4 and see it fine. Range report with any areas that are improved coming soon.

JT

PS I have a click switch with a 12 on the way. I figured if the 8 was good why not try a twelve?

I don't know if it will make a difference to you but the 12 MOA dot will be taller than the metric target upper A box at 20 yards. It will probably be great on real close targets but may be an issue where you need to do precise shooting at longer distances. A GM friend of mine says he likes the smallest dot that he can see. YMMV

Later,

Chuck

I think we all have some preferences to see what we can run well.

I used a 4 for a long time. Now I use an 8 and am pretty happy with it. Though the thought of trying a 6 seems almost like a good idea.

I use a 2 for bullseye shooting btw.

I used a 4 for a long time. Now I use an 8 and am pretty happy with it. Though the thought of trying a 6 seems almost like a good idea.

I used a 4 when I started, then went to the 6. I could not see the 6 in bright light at the sectional. In the shade it wasn't bad, but in the bright stuff I wound up indexing and adjusting if I didn't hit the A. That's not a good way to shoot. :(

JT

I don't know if it will make a difference to you but the 12 MOA dot will be taller than the metric target upper A box at 20 yards. It will probably be great on real close targets but may be an issue where you need to do precise shooting at longer distances. A GM friend of mine says he likes the smallest dot that he can see. YMMV

Later,

Chuck

That's good to know Chuck. It might work fine for the local stuff as most of our shots are no 20yds. I'll try it out and see.

JT

You can try my six if you like. Just send me a PM with your info and I'll ship it off to you. ;)

Edited by JThompson

Jim, your 4 was dimmer than heck, something was definately wrong with it. Mine was about the same brightness as your 4 at the lowest visible setting.

I run a very small 6 and can see it in all light conditions though it does get a lot harder in really bright light at certain angles. Be careful with the big bright dot, gets easy to start shooting 'dot on brown' instead of really shooting the target in a specific spot.

Jim, your 4 was dimmer than heck, something was definately wrong with it. Mine was about the same brightness as your 4 at the lowest visible setting.

I run a very small 6 and can see it in all light conditions though it does get a lot harder in really bright light at certain angles. Be careful with the big bright dot, gets easy to start shooting 'dot on brown' instead of really shooting the target in a specific spot.

I hope there wasn't anything wrong with it or I owe a member of the forum a 4. I just thought that was the way the 4s were... I swapped racer for the 6. I don't know much about dots, so if it was bad it wasn't with malice. I had a 4-6 both and they both looked about the same as far as brightness. I even called C-More to ask if it could be something in the body. I get bad battery life too. I have another coming and will compare them with the 6 in both and the same battery.

Could be a bad rheostat too. Should have said something, I could have brought my spare scope down and we could have tried it Sunday.

Send me any pictures yet?

I didn't take very many. The light in there isn't very conducive to photography without flash. Somehow I don't think people would like the flash going off during a COF. There was little room to shoot as well. What ports there were to sneak through were usually blocked by the RO.

DOT: He said it looks good on his, so I might have a scope problem and the 8 somewhat overcomes it. I'll know when the new one gets here.

Edited by JThompson

I ran a 12 at Area 1 last year. Plenty of tight/long shots at that match, but using the top curve of the dot, it's no big deal.

I think I'm using an 8 now, but I may go back to the 12's.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting my first open gun this weekend. it has a brand new slideride with a 6. The open guns I've tried so far have been 6 and 8's. The 8's get a blurry ring around them on max that I don't like, and the 6 on max was just beautiful, for me. My biggest problem is finding the damn dot in there, doesn't matter the size :P

I hope there wasn't anything wrong with it or I owe a member of the forum a 4. I just thought that was the way the 4s were... I swapped racer for the 6. I don't know much about dots, so if it was bad it wasn't with malice. I had a 4-6 both and they both looked about the same as far as brightness. I even called C-More to ask if it could be something in the body. I get bad battery life too. I have another coming and will compare them with the 6 in both and the same battery.

If you are getting short battery life, my guess is your module is getting weak. When they start to age, it takes more battery, to get the same brightness. Also seems I start to see a dark spot in the middle of the dot.

Sherwyn

Thanks for the input guys... I got my new click switch and the dif is amazing. I'm using the 12moa dot on this one, but now that I see it was an C-more issue and not the module I want to start going back down in size. I really liked being able to shoot a dime at 25yds. Noway I can be taht accurate with the larger dot. I'm going to go back to an eight and if it still looks good than back down to a six or four formindoors and prob go with the 8 or 12 outdoors.

Pick one and stick with it - otherwise, you have to get used to a different one each time, and you have to re-zero... :lol:

I've settled on an 8, for now - though I recently played with a 12 for some steel stuff - ran my best Roundabout times ever with the gun (2.20-ish). I like the big dot for steel, for sure....

I used to shoot a 6 - even when bright, a 4 is small for my taste, and, to my eyes, has a tendency to flare before I get it bright enough. The six would wash out in the sun here in TX, even w/ a dot shield on. The 8 seems to be the ticket, for me and my shooting.

That said, there's no reason why you cannot shoot with precision with a big dot. You simply need to know where in the dot the bullet is at a given yardage, and shoot that way. For all practical purposes, at 20 yards on an upper A/B, sight in so that the bullet is in the top half of the dot at the range, and center the dot in the head. A zones every time.... ;)